News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Re: Thank you for a great first 20 years!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
Thank you Ran.  As I told you a few years ago in Southern Pines the discovery of this site enabled me to spend several thousand dollars that would have ordinarily been in a retirement account.  You informed me that there were no refunds.  None requested and none needed, as GCA has also provided with an opportunity to meet and interact with the like minded on a host of interesting and in a few cases fabled venues.

Thanks again. 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 12:11:35 PM »

I would suggest avoiding the social media interfaces, doesn't seem conducive to promoting frank and thoughtful discussion.

Totally agree with Steve.

A GCAer, who shares my college sports passion, turned me onto The Athletic. Long form journalism (sports) at its best. I do get emails from them, so maybe a GCA email list when new Course Profiles and/or Interviews are posted would work. Just a thought.

Steve & Mike,
A social media presence like Instagram would not supplant current GCA content. It would expose that content to a larger audience, generally with a photo and a small statement. Just look at the main landing page now and the photo of Dunaverty.
http://golfclubatlas.com/

If that's in a tweet or ig post, people would click through to discussion on the course or a profile that's hosted on GCA. It could increase the exposure of the GCA site, which is a good thing for GCA and golf.

For what it's worth, Mike, The Athletic also exists on Instagram and Twitter, but the writing still seems fine.

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »
Twenty years ago, Minneapolis was filled with tree lined golden age golf courses.  Today nearly every course has been opened up dramatically.  Today, I hear golfers complain about tree shade interfering with grass growth as often as I hear complaints about tree removal. 

Twenty years ago, when someone identified a "good hole" it almost always was code for a difficult hole.  Today, as often as not, they are discussing a hole that tempts the player to take a risk in order to gain an advantage.

While this website is not the only driving force behind these changes, I believe Golf Club Atlas has had a positive impact on the preferences of the regular golfer, whether or not that person has heard of the website. 

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 02:15:03 PM »
Thank you, Ran.

I could write a few very long chapters about the various benefits I've derived, even from my quiet participation on this site since probably 2003. I'll save the bandwidth and offer my sincere and genuine appreciation for all the work that goes into the site and the mostly thoughtful dialogue that this venue has inspired.

I discovered golfclubatlas in the heyday of Tom Paul, Patrick Mucci, Tommy Nacaratto, Tom MacWood, Matt Ward, and Carlyle Rood's "Aerials Of The Day". Those were interesting times - and as golf, technology, the economy, and other influences have changed, the discussions have mostly evolved and remained interesting. It's hard not to get a little stale when discussing a finite subject such as golf course design over a twenty year period, but maybe it's better to risk being a little stale than having an off-topic riot of crazy topics that diminishes the whole thing.

I've met a few very fine people in person, corresponded with many more, and regrettably never met several that are now no longer with us (thinking specifically about Bob Huntley, Tiger Bernhardt, Bill McBride, George Bahto, and others). Congratulations, Ran and others... Here's to another 20 years of (mostly) thoughtful dialogue, and (most importantly) good health.

With Compliments,
Steve Lovett

Bill Brightly

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 07:48:13 PM »
Thank you Ran!

It would be an overreach to say that GCA.COM caused the positive shift in architecture over the past 20 years, including thousands of tree removal programs and many thoughtful restorations. Then again, it would be grossly unfair to say that GCA merely catalogued these shifts. Rather, GCA.COM was deeply intertwined in a great awakening and for that, Ran should be very proud.

My only advice to Ran: post more!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »

My only advice to Ran: post more!
I'll second that.  I guess Ran is too busy playing Pinehurst No.2! Wish I was busy that way more often. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back