News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Andriole

Feature Interview with Robert McGuirk
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »
Life is an accumulation of experiences and interactions and some of my best episodes have involved golf travel (even when saddled with Ran). Last summer while playing my way through East Sussex and Kent I happened upon Prince’s Golf Club and its very congenial manager, Rob McGuirk and added a chapter. I had only played a few holes at Prince’s – many years ago at dusk after a wine-laden dinner. While that caper had its own worth it did not foreshadow the marvelous interaction of the links, true golf aficionados and history that occurred this past August. It was that kind of day that made you realize why you love golf.

Rob McGuirk started his golfing career at the age of 4 when his father purchased the former Open Championship venue, Prince’s, Sandwich. He became a very accomplished player and was a part of the England Squad with Justin Rose and Luke Donald before turning professional in1996. He competed on the European Challenge Tour for a number of years and played a handful of European Tour events before a knee injury cut short his playing career in 2005. While still a "stick" his primary focus is his duties as the PGA professional managing Prince’s for his family. More accurately, he’s the spiritual leader of Prince’s and has imbued the place with a great sense of its history and purposed it for the best of golf. He’s even recovered Gene Sarazen’s famous sand wedge!

While Prince’s does not have the glorious landforms of its nearest neighbor, it is replete with those little bumps and slopes that define linksland. Plus, it maintains a greater connection to the sea, its sounds, scents and winds. The current course(s) are well conceived, properly maintained and nicely varied. Accommodations and meal service are among the best in Britain and perfectly suited for the experience. Indeed, time at Princes is well spent.

Robert has kindly agreed to be this month’s feature interviewee and I hope you enjoy his words and images about a special place he clearly loves.

http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview-with-robert-mcguirk/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:56:05 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Feature Interview with Robert McGuirk
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
Prince's is a very special place. It has a totally different vibe to most of the classic courses in the UK, and that is down to the McGuirks. It's not democratic exactly, not is it, thankfully, just an upmarket pay and play. It's like you are going to play golf in Rob, Ali and co's garden.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »
Joe

Thanks for the interview.  Did you visit Princes around the time we met at Sunningdale?

I am a big fan of the Shore/Dunes combo and think it should be included as a candidate for top 50 GB&I.  Robert was very generous with his time when I had questions and in allowing me to have a good look around a few years ago. I wish we could have met, but thats on me!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
I always enjoy reading these interviews, there’s always something new to learn, so thank you Robert and Joe.
Atb

Sam Krume

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 03:59:20 AM »
Having played at Princes many many times over the last 10 years or so, I would also like to add that it is a course not to be missed. I havent managed to get down to see the renovation of the Himalayas but by all account, its quite good(was always the poor relation of the 3 9's).I also believe that there are some ground works now starting on the dunes 9. I think they are removing one of the par 3's.Rob is a lovely fellow, giving you his time, more than happy to chat away about the club, what their plans are and more than that, he just wants you to enjoy your day on their links....

Dan Boerger

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Thank you for this interview. What an amazing history. I had the pleasure of hosting Rob and a few of his members this past year at my club. Delightful group and we had a great time. I have played Rye and RSG ... but really look forward to playing Princes someday soon.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
Thanks for an interesting interview.  That postwar photo - wow.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »
I have been fortunate to meet Rob who helped me to organise a Deaf Golf event at Princes for a couple of years running. He was passionate about the golf course and the area.

The Lodge was an impressive set up for golf trips - it had a bar, snooker table, dining area and rooms for 2 to 6 people sharing which is perfect for golfers on a trip.

However the golf clubhouse is looking pretty tired and needs some sort of revamping to elevate Princes even more on a par with the Lodge.  I have played the Himalayas and it is an improved nine with a different look to RSG and RCP however the central bunker at the first fairway is nonsense!

Look forward to see what they do with Shore and Dunes. i wonder is there more land to create 2 x 18 holes or even a par 3 course? it seems that Princes does have more land to play with. The opening hole on the Dunes is very tough and for me prob the best driving hole on the whole course. 

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
I have been fortunate to meet Rob who helped me to organise a Deaf Golf event at Princes for a couple of years running. He was passionate about the golf course and the area.

The Lodge was an impressive set up for golf trips - it had a bar, snooker table, dining area and rooms for 2 to 6 people sharing which is perfect for golfers on a trip.

However the golf clubhouse is looking pretty tired and needs some sort of revamping to elevate Princes even more on a par with the Lodge.  I have played the Himalayas and it is an improved nine with a different look to RSG and RCP however the central bunker at the first fairway is nonsense!

Look forward to see what they do with Shore and Dunes. i wonder is there more land to create 2 x 18 holes or even a par 3 course? it seems that Princes does have more land to play with. The opening hole on the Dunes is very tough and for me prob the best driving hole on the whole course.

Ben thanks for your post. The 1st on the Hims is a replica of the old 7th with a 60 yard wide fairway. It was agree d that a small pot bunker in the fairway would challenge the player to either play left and have a longer shot in or take on the bunker for the best angle. The clubhouse is on the long term plans but the course is the priority. We have also invested in a new green keepers facility this year which is quite an expense! We have no plans to add another 9 but a 6 hole course is in the pipeline which will be fun!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 02:37:52 PM »

Ben thanks for your post. The 1st on the Hims is a replica of the old 7th with a 60 yard wide fairway. It was agree d that a small pot bunker in the fairway would challenge the player to either play left and have a longer shot in or take on the bunker for the best angle. The clubhouse is on the long term plans but the course is the priority. We have also invested in a new green keepers facility this year which is quite an expense! We have no plans to add another 9 but a 6 hole course is in the pipeline which will be fun!

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the GCA Discussion Forum - and great to hear about the improvements being made to Princes present and future wise. The Himalayas is definitely stronger and has better balance through holes. Sad to see the old 2nd green go as it was a nice green however the 9 hole course has improved overall. The first hole middle bunker is not very visible from the tee and I was surprised to see it and thankfully my drive was 40 yards past it towards the green. Maybe a higher lip or mound would make it more visible.

The proposed 6 hole short course is ideal for getting people into golf or a warm up intro to Links golf. Also good to know that the course takes priority before the clubhouse. Most golf clubs it is the other way round. I look forward seeing the improvements come to fruition over the next few years.

One question where is that new par 3 going to be located and is it replacing the 8th on the Shore or the 11th on the Dunes?

Cheers
Ben

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 05:13:49 AM »
Hi Ben,

The par three will sit to the left of the 4th Shore greens with the tees to the right pretty much where the old yellow tee is for 5 Shore. We will losing 8 Shore which is a shame as its a bit of a pinch point...although we will operate with 28 holes due to The Open Final Qualifying unless the R&A are happy to use the new hole. Hope to see you down at Prince's soon.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 11:40:27 AM »
Hi Ben,

The par three will sit to the left of the 4th Shore greens with the tees to the right pretty much where the old yellow tee is for 5 Shore. We will losing 8 Shore which is a shame as its a bit of a pinch point...although we will operate with 28 holes due to The Open Final Qualifying unless the R&A are happy to use the new hole. Hope to see you down at Prince's soon.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your response. I am assuming the hole would be SWW to NEE orientation which almost lines it up towards the 2nd green on the Shore. Will these changes have an impact on the teeing areas for the existing 5th hole? Any chance that you can upload a pic showing Mackenzie and Ebert Proposal for this new hole.

Regarding the 8th green on the current Shore course - I think its a nicely shaped green with some breaks potentially it could be reused as the 7th green on the Dunes to make the hole longer.

Cheers
Ben

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
Ben you are confusing your par 3s 8 Dunes comes back parallel to the 7th, the hole would be much shorter. Using  2 Dunes would make the 7th longer!

The 1st on the Dunes is one of the toughest holes on the R&A course rota.

Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 03:21:57 AM »
Ben you are confusing your par 3s 8 Dunes comes back parallel to the 7th, the hole would be much shorter. Using  2 Dunes would make the 7th longer!

The 1st on the Dunes is one of the toughest holes on the R&A course rota.

Not sure where you are coming from. This sketch is my interpretation of Rob's comments plus my suggestion of extending Hole 7 Dunes to play towards 8th green on Shore.

Rob would the 6 hole short course be near the Lodge on the parcel of land south of 2nd Shore?

Cheers
Ben

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 07:43:54 AM »
Hi Ben,

Apologies for the delay. The green is exactly where you have positioned it and all the tees are this side of the road. The plan once The Open has been held at RSG is for the 6 hole course to be built on the land between The Lodge and the sea. I am seeing Martin on Saturday so will try and get some visuals but the tees and pathways have already been installed for 6 Shore and the construction of the new green will commence beginning of February.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 02:21:42 AM »
Ben I’m with you now! I like 7th Dunes it’s driveable in the right conditions and a rare birdie chance on the Dunes.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 02:38:44 AM »
Hi Ben,

Apologies for the delay. The green is exactly where you have positioned it and all the tees are this side of the road. The plan once The Open has been held at RSG is for the 6 hole course to be built on the land between The Lodge and the sea. I am seeing Martin on Saturday so will try and get some visuals but the tees and pathways have already been installed for 6 Shore and the construction of the new green will commence beginning of February.

Hi Rob,

No need to apologise you are a busy man. Plenty of time to respond on this forum.

Having looked at the aerials - there are outline of holes on this patch between the lodge and the sea and is it used as a practice area for some?

Regarding the 27 hole course - is there a composite 18 hole course from your point of view there that is better than the 3 different 18 hole combinations and what would the configuration/holes ordering be?

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 02:40:20 AM »
Ben I’m with you now! I like 7th Dunes it’s driveable in the right conditions and a rare birdie chance on the Dunes.

No worries Mark! Diagrams are the best way to explain things. Boy you have to be a long hitter to reach that green  ;D ;D

How is the greenkeeping life? and are there any advice you would put forward to a golf course designer/architect from a greenkeeeping standpoint?

Cheers
Ben

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
Yes Ben there use to be a practice area situated on that patch of land but this fell away once we moved the Clubhouse. I think we could put together a very strong composite but operationally it would be difficult to manage. The three 9 hole loops gives us real flexibility and helps separate members for visitors!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 02:10:08 AM »
Yes Ben there use to be a practice area situated on that patch of land but this fell away once we moved the Clubhouse. I think we could put together a very strong composite but operationally it would be difficult to manage. The three 9 hole loops gives us real flexibility and helps separate members for visitors!

Hi Rob,

We at GCA like to be hypothetical at times. It would be interesting to know what your version of a composite course be at Princes? How many of the Himalayas, Shore and Dunes holes would be used and an insight of your views and reasons why. Whether it would be long or short / fun or challenging. Or even a stronger 18 than any of the 3 different 18 hole combos that you currently have.

There are a number of clubs in the world have composite course for tournament play like Royal Melbourne and it would be nice to have a one day open competition on a composite course which adds interest. St Andrews reverses the Old course for one day (not sure if this continues to this day)

Cheers
[size=78%]Ben[/size]

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
Its an interesting thought and after a little thought I would use all the Himalayas course then 1 - 6 on Dunes moving to 4 Shore 5 Shore (new par 3) and 6 Shore which finished nicely at The Lodge.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
Its an interesting thought and after a little thought I would use all the Himalayas course then 1 - 6 on Dunes moving to 4 Shore 5 Shore (new par 3) and 6 Shore which finished nicely at The Lodge.

Thats an interesting concept starting at clubhouse and finishing at the lodge. Dismal River Red 1st and 18th are miles apart and shows that it does not have to start and finish at the same point.

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
The difficulty is getting 5 Dunes into the configuration which is one of the strongest holes...I was with Martin Ebert today and the new par 3 will be stunning so needed to get that in also! Hopefully will have some visuals for you soon.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 01:03:24 PM »
Martin must have followed everyone back from Harrogate! Congratulations to Sean for his award nomination, by his peers, for the team’s work on the Himalayas.

Apparently there is a reverse Old Course on St Andrews day this year.

Ben I’m far too inexperienced to offer anyone advice! I’d tap up Rob but he’s always “in the zone” when he’s running down the sea wall past RCP when I’m volunteering of a morning.
Cave Nil Vino

Rob McGuirk

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 07:41:09 AM »
Mark,

I believe we are playing this May at Prince's...will be good to finally get a game in. I also understand from Sean that your better half maybe working with us this year which will be great!

RM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back