News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

GPS used to identify turf reduction
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
Saw this article in Golf Course Architecture where the Crandon Course at Key Biscayne used GPS to track players to determine where they should change from turf to other surfaces to reduce water consumption.  To me it appears to be an interesting innovation using modern technology to deal with a potential long term issue.  As an aside, to me, south Florida gets quite a bit of rain and with sufficient retention ponds I would think that they could water the course without using an outside source - I don't pretend to have expertise in that area so I am looking at it purely as a lay person.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/sanford-uses-gps-to-identify-turf-reduction-potential-at-crandon

Grant Saunders

Re: GPS used to identify turf reduction
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
As a follower from a distance, I continue to be absolutely fascinated by the movement of the removal of turf to save water.

What would actually happen if the existing turf in these areas if they simply had the water turned off? Would it not reflect the seasons and be actively growing a certain times of year and then go dormant the other times?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
My cousin, a former RAF Avionics Technician, now professional Drone jockey, has been telling me for ages to get into ‘Hyperspectral Imaging’.
Yes, I thought it sounded all a bit Harry Potter too!
However, apparently it’s an amazing tool. Essentially, with special cameras and software, you can analyse tons of different data from, for example, an aerial photo. So, scanning a golf course, for example, could, in theory, give you incredibly detailed and accurate information about, (and certainly not limited to!), vegetation species and health, drought and wet conditions, soil and subsoil types and compositions, etc, etc. Basically, only limited by your requirements - and the available tech, of course. All useful info, which could be used to improve fertiliser application, irrigation use and location, general maintenance procedures, etc, etc, etc...
Only downside is current expense which will undoubtedly reduce over time and with more general use.
You heard it here first. Buy now and Buy Often!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 02:13:24 AM »
My cousin, a former RAF Avionics Technician, now professional Drone jockey, has been telling me for ages to get into ‘Hyperspectral Imaging’.
Yes, I thought it sounded all a bit Harry Potter too!
However, apparently it’s an amazing tool. Essentially, with special cameras and software, you can analyse tons of different data from, for example, an aerial photo. So, scanning a golf course, for example, could, in theory, give you incredibly detailed and accurate information about, (and certainly not limited to!), vegetation species and health, drought and wet conditions, soil and subsoil types and compositions, etc, etc. Basically, only limited by your requirements - and the available tech, of course. All useful info, which could be used to improve fertiliser application, irrigation use and location, general maintenance procedures, etc, etc, etc...
Only downside is current expense which will undoubtedly reduce over time and with more general use.
You heard it here first. Buy now and Buy Often!
F.
Does your cousin fly drones for this technology now?  Who does he work for and what application are his clients using the data for?  Is it mature or still pilot testing?
I like the sounds of this, as the flyover from drones to see a course is one thing, but this application of Hyperspectral Imaging sounds very intriguing.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »
Isn't the perhaps-not-so-extreme application of this idea how one achieves "target golf?"
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back