News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: Should Mike Keiser be in the Hall of Fame?
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »
Kalen:  Don't forget, Rich thinks The Old Course is heavily overrated, too.  Good company to be in though 😉

You mean that I am not the only one?  I suppose I should work on being more sentimental and nostalgic.

Rich- don't give up my spot in the tent out back.  I am in for all the camaraderie and stuff.  Getting there will require some doing.

As to Bandon, been there thrice and each time I swear I will never go back.  Not only is it $$$$, but the food, service, lodging, logistics, etc. are substandard for the price, albeit for good reasons.  And the weather!  The golf courses and scenery are compelling- the reasons I long to return- but the aforementioned as well as the slow play and hordes of retail golfers make the equally difficult journey to the UK more attractive.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »
I've never been to Bandon, so this can all be taken with a grain of salt, but based on everything I've read and heard from people who have been I doubt I would enjoy a trip there as much as a trip to Pinehurst.

That's not because of the golf courses themselves -- I would LOVE to play all the courses at Bandon, and want to take a trip there at least once. I'm sure they top out higher than the best courses in the Pinehurst area, even though Pinehurst has several world class courses itself (albeit without the ocean backdrop). I'm just not a fan of the seclusion aspect where you essentially have to stay on the resort and eat at the same couple of restaurants etc. every day you're there. I think I'd feel trapped. I prefer variety.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
It is, and always has been, about the golf.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »

It really isn't, though -- and can't be, because it's not a place where you can just drive in to play golf and golf only. It's about making money on lodging, food, beverages, etc. while using the golf courses as a draw to get people there.

And I have no problem with that. It's a business. But it's disingenuous to claim it's some altruistic place that exists solely to provide excellent golf.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
Edward,

I've never stayed at the resort, nor had a real meal there...only a couple of quick lunches.  Yes its convenient to stay on site and never leave, but not doing so is very manageable.

P.S. The original moniker only promised "golf as its meant to be"...not lodging, food, and everything else   ;)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Any one in the world could drive in and play a round of golf and not pay for anything else.  Happens more than you'd think.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
And don't forget that if you can't afford a caddie, or just don't want their company, you can rent a trolley for next to nothing. Nobody don't got nothing on that.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2018, 02:17:53 PM »
Or carry your own bag.  Or bring your own cart. 

Something for everyone.

Gary Sato

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »

It really isn't, though -- and can't be, because it's not a place where you can just drive in to play golf and golf only. It's about making money on lodging, food, beverages, etc. while using the golf courses as a draw to get people there.

And I have no problem with that. It's a business. But it's disingenuous to claim it's some altruistic place that exists solely to provide excellent golf.

Disagree.

If you have world class golf, why would you diminish it by putting in a Motel 6?

This thread has gone off the rails.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
Back to the rails: Mike Keiser should be in the HOF. But not before Joe Jemsek. Or Marion Hollins.

Ira
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:03:40 PM by Ira Fishman »

John Cowden

« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2018, 05:23:52 PM »
+1, Ira.  And I would like to nominate another Pasatiempo golfer as well....

Jeff Schley

« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2018, 06:04:57 AM »
Back to the rails: Mike Keiser should be in the HOF. But not before Joe Jemsek. Or Marion Hollins.

Ira

Ira I cosign.

Joe Jemsek certainly did quite a bit for Cog Hill, Chicago public golf, Western Golf Association, Illinois PGA, and public golf in general.  Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times at Cog Hill in my youth and actually was known as a crusty old school micromanager from some of the staff who worked there.  He made sure Cog Hill ran as he intended and they were great hosts of the Western Open.  Although I'm from the area and perhaps admit any bias, his record speaks for himself.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
I'm sure Joe Jemsek deserves to be in the HOF but also the Tufts family and Sam Morse from Pebble Beach. Marion Hollins would also be worthy.

To me Keiser exceeds all of these. Bandon has transformed American golf and exposed Fazio, Nicklaus and others architectural styles as inferior.

In a few years, when Sand Valley is complete and Keisers California project is off the ground it will become more obvious that he is deserving.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »
Is the HOF really relevant to the legacy of MK? Are any of us going to think less of him or his work if he isn't?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2018, 04:59:05 PM »
I'm sure Joe Jemsek deserves to be in the HOF but also the Tufts family and Sam Morse from Pebble Beach. Marion Hollins would also be worthy.

To me Keiser exceeds all of these. Bandon has transformed American golf and exposed Fazio, Nicklaus and others architectural styles as inferior.

In a few years, when Sand Valley is complete and Keisers California project is off the ground it will become more obvious that he is deserving.

Spot on, as usual.

Mike Keiser is a soft spoken giant in the game of golf. He has largely altered resort golf in the US and he’s done all of this after he effectively retired from his successful business. His golf enterprises are all successful but they have also greatly helped the struggling lower and middle class in the surrounding areas. And his efforts have been environmentally conscientious.

As for his eleemosynary efforts, he is beyond generous. We are friends, so I’m biased, but this guy is HOF material.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Cowden

« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2018, 11:14:32 PM »
Glad that there will be no recusal here, Your Honor.  In this forum, bias is the sincerest form of flattery.  And I vote with the majority—MK is accurately referred to as visionary; he’s an indispensable presence in the history of the “modern” game.

Sean_A

« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2018, 04:19:22 AM »
Is the HOF really relevant to the legacy of MK? Are any of us going to think less of him or his work if he isn't?

HoFs are about honouring people. If the candidate is honoured then fine. If the candidate isn't bothered he shouldn't accept the honour.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Gary Sato

« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2018, 10:27:46 AM »

Don't forget about Cabot and Barnbougle.

Michael Blake

« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
Bandon has transformed American golf and exposed Fazio, Nicklaus and others architectural styles as inferior.

Wait, what?

Gary Sato

« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »
Matt Ginella named Mike Keiser as his person of the Year in an informal gathering on Golf Channel. 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/mike-keiser-avid-amateur-hero-five-new-course-2019

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2019, 08:53:52 PM »
As I said earlier, IMO MK absolutely deserves to be in HOF. 

Allow me to throw another name in the hat...Dick Youngscap.  If my memory is right, Sandhills was the pioneer in terms of building great courses where ever great land was...and that concept really really changed the game and architecture.  There was essentially zero good land available near where people were living (probably true going back 50-60+ years)

Best
Paul

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back