News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Return Visit
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
In my I Knew Less About Architecture Than I Do Even Now period, I played several courses by ODGs without really stopping to think about the architecture or the architect. Glen View, Knollwood, Exmoor, North Shore, Yale, Burning Tree, Bedford Springs, Cascades, Army Navy. I have not played any of them in 25 years, and Bedford Springs was 45 years ago.

Thinking about another New Year, I was debating with myself (my favorite debate partner), where would I choose to go back. I settled on Cascades because I have a profound sense of its beautiful routing but remember very little of the details.

I am curious as to whether you have a similar long last played debate.

Happy New Year to All.

Ira
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:42:55 AM by Ira Fishman »

Joe_Tucholski

Re: Return Visit
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
What I'm surprised about is how army navy is in with that list of courses.  To answer your question, I haven't been playing long enough for that feeling.

I have the thought when I move next where will I play.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
Joe,

Army Navy is on the list because the Ross Society has him listed as doing a renovation in the 1940s. I have not been able to pin down the history of the club or how extensive Ross role was. I played it a few times well before the most recent renovation. While not of the same quality as the others on the list, it was a good course if my memory serves.

Ira

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:26:53 PM »
Joe,

Army Navy is on the list because the Ross Society has him listed as doing a renovation in the 1940s. I have not been able to pin down the history of the club or how extensive Ross role was. I played it a few times well before the most recent renovation. While not of the same quality as the others on the list, it was a good course if my memory serves.

Ira

Sorry if it came across as a slight to Army Navy.  When living in DC I seriously considered joining Army Navy.

I just thought it stuck out in the group of courses.

You picked Cascades as the one most likely to return to but if you were near the others and the offer presented to play would you pass on any of them and why?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
Joe,

I would happily play any of them again except for Burning Tree. It is 5 minutes from our house but even if I could find a Member to host, it is not worth my wife getting that ticked off again.

Yale is the other course on the list that I would make a special trip to play.

Ira

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
I’d love a return visit to Melbourne. I was there a while a few decades ago but due to injury only managed one round. That was at the original Healesville, somewhere I’d like to see the new version of. Fingers and toes crossed.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back