News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated Sleepy Hollow profile is posted under ... New
« on: December 20, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
… Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline. Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/sleepy-hollow-country-club-ny-usa/

I like having heroes in part because they make you keenly aware of how much room for self-improvement there is.  :-[ Starting in the mid-1990s, I picked up two more. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to play NGLA for the first time and it lived up to the incredible hype that I had created in my own mind. That paved the way for C.B. Macdonald to ascend to hero status for the course was unlike anything I had ever experienced. And to think it was brought about in the ~1910 timeframe! Then, along came another event: an email from a man named George Bahto in 1999. True, George didn’t help found the USGA but his efforts to gather and disseminate information on the Macdonald/Raynor/Banks school of architecture seemed every bit as honorable and pure for the amateur golfer. His work was crucial in restoring many of their works and that is a very big deal because their courses were very big deals.

Therefore, in 2007, what a dream it was to wander around Sleepy Hollow with George and admire the work that Gil Hanse and he had done. And yet … the story doesn’t end there. Hero worship can cut both ways and in the case of Sleepy Hollow, this wasn’t Macdonald’s finest moment. Not every Beatles album was a masterpiece either and personality issues among other things tempered what was built. By the 1930s, Macdonald hadn’t even design 40%+ of the holes on the main course. Another legend had had a hand – AW Tillinghast but time showed his 7 holes weren’t representative of his best either. When I worked for the USGA in 1985 and Sleepy Hollow kindly acted as a host for a meeting, it was for a dinner affair; people were more interested in dining in the former Vanderbilt home than playing the course.

The same group of men at the club that drove Stage I of the work – Michael Hegarty, George Sanossian, Corey (‘The Smart Brother’ 8) ) Miller and Green Keeper Tom Leahy – knew that a flaw remained, namely that the greens lacked the charisma and flair associated with ones from the Macdonald school. After 5 years of letting the accolades roll in from Stage I, they decided to tackle the issue and asked Gil to complete the transformation. Gil returned (this time with Ben Hillard as George Bahto had passed away) and set about transforming the greens into complexes that any Macdonald student would appreciate.

Jon Cavalier’s drone captures Macdonald’s superb use of a ravine that extends 300 yards across the course. The good news now is that there is also plenty of compelling golf well away from it as well, signaling that the transformation is complete.

To be clear, this wasn’t a restoration as Macdonald/Tillinghast didn’t leave a feature-rich design behind. However, thanks to the wisdom of the board in 2003 that embarked on a path to emulate/honor Macdonald as opposed to Tillinghast, a clear path was set. Why was it ‘clear’? Because Macdonald stood for something definite and his template holes made his design ideals known to all. The result? Today the members of Sleepy Hollow play a course that is far better, more interesting, and grander than at any time in its history.

That's the monumental effect that proper club governance can have on a course. And there isn’t a person alive that doesn’t think Uncle George isn’t looking down with C.B Macdonald and Seth Raynor and smiling at the job well done as the golf is now a match for the views.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:56:22 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Tim Martin

Re: Updated Sleepy Hollow profile is posted under ...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
There is not a more compelling play in golf rich Westchester County, New York than Sleepy Hollow. Congrats to Corey Miller and everyone involved for delivering a show stopper. George Bahto would be delighted.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:58:26 AM »
I totally agree.  Job well done!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:38:40 PM »
I only had a passing knowledge of Sleepy Hollow when I played it many years ago.I liked it then and hope to get another shot at it now. It looks spectacular.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
2019 MET PGA at Sleepy Hollow!!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »
It will be interesting to see what type of move up in the U.S. rankings SH has after the recent greens work that has been done.

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »
One of the features I most appreciated about Sleepy Hollow was the exposed bedrock. I’ve never played a course that had such stunning use of natural rock. It gave the course a sort of wild, rugged appearance. Spectacular.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
One of the features I most appreciated about Sleepy Hollow was the exposed bedrock. I’ve never played a course that had such stunning use of natural rock. It gave the course a sort of wild, rugged appearance. Spectacular.

Morfontaine has a similar look. It is very appealing.

I played Sleepy back in summer 2014 and loved it, though the stretch around 8-12 felt incongruous with the rest of the course. It seems like the changes have made this section better and I am eager to return there to see the finished article.

Surely this must be a World Top 100 course now?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
Time to pick a nit: the photo comparison between 2007 and 2005 is poor. The angles are completely different, and one cannot get a sense of the long view in 2005, that is boasted on in 2007. I have no doubt that the tree removal project impacted the course greatly, but I believe (from a photographer's perspective) that this contrast attempt fails. It should be replaced or reworded.

On another note, I love the use of the adjective "rambunctious" to describe the course's topography.

Back to picking nits. The 14th hole plays straight downhill, so its 415 total yards are an effective 360. That is a short hole. Not dissimilar to the 17th, which also drops out of the sky, rendering its 445 years much briefer in real time. In contrast, the 18th's 425 yards are all of 450+, as it plays uphill.

Sleepy Hollow was gracious in allowing me to photograph the course, on my way home from the 2013 Women's Open at Sebonack. My photo of the 5th, posterized in Photoshop, is on my credit card. As both golfer and photographer, I would suggest this course to anyone who wishes to improve at either, or to create a lasting memory, also at either.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
Time to pick a nit: the photo comparison between 2007 and 2005 is poor. The angles are completely different, and one cannot get a sense of the long view in 2005, that is boasted on in 2007. I have no doubt that the tree removal project impacted the course greatly, but I believe (from a photographer's perspective) that this contrast attempt fails. It should be replaced or reworded.
I don't believe Ran's intent was to stage the photo from the exact same spot. It's a more general point about the impact of tree removal, and it seems easy discern the difference.

Was fortunate to play at Sleepy Hollow back in 2013 and talk with George then. I really enjoyed the course, but agree that the greens were a bit mild. Doesn't look that way anymore. Thanks for the update, Ran.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back