News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Where fore in 2019?
« on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »

Still in planning stages, but the Melbourne area, Barnbougle Dunes/Lost Farm  and King Island is my major destination.
Probably will headquarter on the peninsula. Having played most of the sandbelt courses on prior trips am looking to golf at St. Andrews Beach, 13th Beach (Beach), Woodlands and both Peninsula/Kingswood courses. Maybe Healesville if it is worth adding a day since it seems to be quirky enough for my tastes..

Is there an aerification schedule I should be aware of?  Looking at late February or late March.

Also the Midwest Mashie at Prairie Dunes with an extension to Branson for the Ozarks National (C/C) and maybe the new Tiger course if it is open.   

Happy New Year

Tom_Doak

Re: Where fore in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:41:33 PM »
Pete:

You should try and play the Moonah course at The National, and also our new Gunnamatta course [formerly the Ocean course], if it's open.  Last I heard they were talking about a March opening.  If it isn't open yet, I can surely get you a tour.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »

Tom,
Thank you. I played the Moonah course years ago and liked it a lot. Thanks for the offer of the tour of Gunnamatta. I'll go to their website for an update.

Charles Lund

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 01:06:06 AM »
Sounds like you have a good trip planned.

The National website describes aspects of the reworking of The Ocean course, which involves major routing changes, elimination of poorly situated fairway bunkers, and relocation of greens.  The name change reflects the scope of the changes. 

There may possibly be a soft opening in March, with play by members only for the first few months.

As of three weeks ago, signage designated the area as a Construction Zone, with access only to authorized persons.  There was a scheduled afternoon in October when members were taken around the site and changes discussed.  There is another tour planned in January, as I recall.  Some construction areas are visible from portions of the Moonah course.  There are hole by hole summaries of the changes posted in the clubhouse.

I am looking forward to playing the course in about a year and maybe getting in a round in April.

Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farms are much more readily accessible than the King Island courses.  Perhaps you can get an invitation to fly down to King Island with a group.  I never seriously considered going there as a solo golfer.

Charles Lund

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 02:47:19 AM »
A week in Philadelphia with 2 cricket matches and 2 golf matches followed by a trip to Scottsdale.

Town Match in St Andrews.
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:01:47 AM »
The only thing planned right now is a trip to Florida in March to see a Players Championship practice round. I will try to play Pine Tree, Gulfstream and SS Black as well. The course that really intrigues me in South Florida is Indian Creek so that would be great to be able to play there also.

I will make sure to get up to Maine in the Fall to play Kebo Valley and Northeast Harbor as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:49:05 AM by Tim Martin »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
Paris for the French Open (Tennis). It is not clear if we will play golf while there. Then onto East Lothian and Fife for our first trip there. Kilspindie, North Berwick 2x, Elie, Ballot onto TOC (with any luck), and Kingsbarns. Needless to say, my wife and I are very much looking forward to the New Year.

Ira

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
Sounds like you have a good trip planned. The National website describes aspects of the reworking of The Ocean course, which involves major routing changes, elimination of poorly situated fairway bunkers, and relocation of greens.  The name change reflects the scope of the changes. 
There may possibly be a soft opening in March, with play by members only for the first few months.

As of three weeks ago, signage designated the area as a Construction Zone, with access only to authorized persons.  There was a scheduled afternoon in October when members were taken around the site and changes discussed.  There is another tour planned in January, as I recall.  Some construction areas are visible from portions of the Moonah course.  There are hole by hole summaries of the changes posted in the clubhouse. I am looking forward to playing the course in about a year and maybe getting in a round in April.

Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farms are much more readily accessible than the King Island courses.  Perhaps you can get an invitation to fly down to King Island with a group.  I never seriously considered going there as a solo golfer.

Charles Lund
Cheapest way for Kng Island is to fly commercial, without clubs. Othewise the Barnbougle/King leg was $5000
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:05:14 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
On the golf front I booked a trip to Melbourne and Tasmania as well.  We spent 3 weeks in Australia previously with no golf (also have a trip to NZ this year with no golf).  Moving back to the mainland from Hawaii due to the wifes career so will have improved golf options.

Bill Crane

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
Florida - probably Sara Bay and Vero Beach CC in February.

Working on a Ohio swing in Spring, a few days at Moraine, working on The Golf Club and Carmargo, and we have access at Muirfield Village, Columbus CC, and NCR if we want.   Maybe an afternoon at my son's alma mater - Denison -Granville.

Hopefully get back to TCC, Merion re-opened and PV, but not definite.   NEED to get to Rolling Green, and Lehigh to work through the Flynn portfolio.   Want to get back to Plainfield. 

Who knows, maybe another Scotland Swing, and probably a few days in the Carolinas including C3.

Look like more than I can do from a practical perspective.   ( !! )

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
I just might be done.  302 courses in at the age of 60 and I feel like I've seen an adequate representation of golf architecture but regrettably nothing by Stanley Thompson or George C. Thomas, Jr. and no  Painswick or Cruden Bay.   Had planned on my first trip to Ireland, but I think I'd rather drink beer with the Mrs. in Bavaria in 2019.   Thumbed through Volume 5 of The Confidential Guide and didn't do a single double-take so I'm going to punt on Australia.     

I'm probably the luckiest guy on this site.  Happy New Year.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »

Cheapest way for Kng Island is to fly commercial, without clubs. Othewise the Barnbougle/King leg was $5000

Is this a typo?  That's nuts.

I did fly commercial from Launceston to King Island and then on to Melbourne a couple of years ago, with my clubs.  It was not cheap but it wasn't over $1k.

Michael Graham

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 05:47:53 PM »
Buda in September but before we get to that it is a loooong awaited first trip to Bandon in May to coincide with my dad’s 70th birthday. Edinburgh-> Heathrow—> San Francisco—> North Bend.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »

Is this a typo?  That's nuts.
Wasn't a typo but emanated from an unbalanced mind. That was an add-on from NZ with only thing-72 holes of golf at Bridport and K.I., so $1000 a day.

I did fly commercial from Launceston to King Island and then on to Melbourne a couple of years ago, with my clubs.  It was not cheap but it wasn't over $1k.

James Brown

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »
April Golf Trip to New Mexico, will see if Black Mesa is in better shape that 4 years ago. University of New Mexico, maybe hit Las Campagnas. 

Memorial Day long weekend in State College, PA for my annual dose of the Penn State Golf Courses.  The White Course might be where I play my last round some day.

July 4th week trip to Wales on the way back from family vacation with our extended family in Romania.   Working on the plans now, but probably Huntercombe off the plane.  Southerndown, Porthcawl, Pennard, and St. George’s Hill before catching the plane home.  Interestingly, the cheapest flight from London to DC, connects through Lisbon with a 20 hour overnight layover, so might play there too. 

September is my first go at the Midwest Mashie at Prairie Dunes. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 09:20:56 PM »
April Golf Trip to New Mexico, will see if Black Mesa is in better shape that 4 years ago. University of New Mexico, maybe hit Las Campagnas. 

Memorial Day long weekend in State College, PA for my annual dose of the Penn State Golf Courses.  The White Course might be where I play my last round some day.

July 4th week trip to Wales on the way back from family vacation with our extended family in Romania.   Working on the plans now, but probably Huntercombe off the plane.  Southerndown, Porthcawl, Pennard, and St. George’s Hill before catching the plane home.  Interestingly, the cheapest flight from London to DC, connects through Lisbon with a 20 hour overnight layover, so might play there too. 

September is my first go at the Midwest Mashie at Prairie Dunes.

Long layovers are great. I used one at Schipol to play Kennemer and one at Charles De Gaulle to play Morfontaine.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 10:34:39 PM »
Pete,

Are you driving to the Mashie?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »
Currently planned:

Lawsonia
Round in Myrtle Beach, probably Caledonia
Midwest Mashie at Prairie Dunes
TBD Arizona course, probably Seven Canyons

Still a lot in state (Ohio) I need to hit up, but I need to play a lot more at my local club in 2019 than I did in 2018 to make that membership worth it.

Conor Rankin

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
I'll have 8 weeks in Melbourne (busy office hours mon-fri) from April into June so will try and hit as many sandbelt courses as possible on a student budget. Any advice for a first Ozzy trip? Is an email to the clubs to book a tee time the best way to go about securing tee times?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 01:44:13 AM »
I'll have 8 weeks in Melbourne (busy office hours mon-fri) from April into June so will try and hit as many sandbelt courses as possible on a student budget. Any advice for a first Ozzy trip? Is an email to the clubs to book a tee time the best way to go about securing tee times?
Conor are you a graduate assistant at a uni down under?  Which one? Univ. of Melbourne/Monash?  I'll be there in February playing golf on a trip.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Conor Rankin

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 09:09:52 AM »
Conor are you a graduate assistant at a uni down under?  Which one? Univ. of Melbourne/Monash?  I'll be there in February playing golf on a trip.

I'm a medical student who will be with the University of Melbourne, but really the basis of the trip is seeing Australian golf in all its glory - the academia is secondary. First game is set up at RM for the weekend I arrive and was going to see what games I could strike up from there. Where are you planning to play?

Daryl David

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »

I'm a medical student who will be with the University of Melbourne, but really the basis of the trip is seeing Australian golf in all its glory - the academia is secondary.

I hope your future patients don’t find this out.  ;D

Jeff Schley

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »

I'm a medical student who will be with the University of Melbourne, but really the basis of the trip is seeing Australian golf in all its glory - the academia is secondary. First game is set up at RM for the weekend I arrive and was going to see what games I could strike up from there. Where are you planning to play?
Conor i'm on an Outpost Club event so many of the great ones below.  Univ. of Melbourne is a very good university, top 50 worldwide so you picked a very good university.  I work in university business so know quite a bit about them and rankings. I'm looking forward to my first time actually playing in OZ as I have been to Sydney 2x's on mileage runs for airline status, but this will be my first time enjoying down under.  All the best in your studies, but 8 weeks is just a small sliver of your medical school so what is your home university that you are doing your full medical degree at?[/color][/size][/color]10 rounds of golf [/size][/color]–The Metropolitan, Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne (Composite Course),  Cathedral GC, Cape Wickham (King Is), Ocean Dunes (King Is), Barnbougle Dunes, Barnbougle Lost Farm, New South Wales GC, The Lakes GC[/size]
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Conor Rankin

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:58 AM »

Conor i'm on an Outpost Club event so many of the great ones below.  Univ. of Melbourne is a very good university, top 50 worldwide so you picked a very good university.  I work in university business so know quite a bit about them and rankings. I'm looking forward to my first time actually playing in OZ as I have been to Sydney 2x's on mileage runs for airline status, but this will be my first time enjoying down under.  All the best in your studies, but 8 weeks is just a small sliver of your medical school so what is your home university that you are doing your full medical degree at?10 rounds of golf –The Metropolitan, Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne (Composite Course),  Cathedral GC, Cape Wickham (King Is), Ocean Dunes (King Is), Barnbougle Dunes, Barnbougle Lost Farm, New South Wales GC, The Lakes GC

That will be a cracking trip, hoping to emulate much of it over a longer period. Think Taz and Kings island might escape me on this trip. I'm in my final semester at the University of Edinburgh so have had some good golf for the last 6 years

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 07:30:00 AM »
Three trips lined up at the moment.  Prestwick and Dundonald in March with a small group from home, a Fife trip in May with a small group and then BUDA hits NE England in September.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back