News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Revell

Forrest Fezler
« on: December 21, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
Sad news to report from Tallahassee today...our friend Forrest Fezler lost his battle and has passed away. I met with Forrest a few times in the last year or so and he had such a passion and deep knowledge for golf design. I really enjoyed getting to know him. Undoubtedly he and Mike Strantz will be drawing up some holes together again for the first time in many years. RIP Fez

John Kavanaugh

Re: Forrest Fezler
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
Forrest came to one of our first GCA outings. Pure cool. I'm lucky to have met him.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
 I was fortunate enough to play Tobacco Road with him shortly after it opened. We both threw clubs on our shoulders and walked the course. He told me about every bump, hump, and turn on the course. We hit all kinds of shots to test which ones seemed best and just had a blast. He was a real gentleman and I will remember our day together for a long time. My prayers go out to his family this Christmas season.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
I remember that Dixie Cup very well.  His passion for the course and his friendship with Mike Strantz were very evident.  RIP.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »
I had heard that he was not doing well; very sorry to hear this.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »
Do sorry to hear this news of Forrest Fezler's passing.  He and Mike Strantz were frequent subjects of our early GCA.com conversations.  Golf has lost a unique character and gentleman.  RIP
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:06:29 PM »
Born in Hayward California, grew up playing public golf courses, won the California State Amateur, attended both San Jose City College and Stanford.

Sad that he was only 69.

Brian Finn

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
I didn’t know very much about Forrest Fezler, so read a couple of his obituaries.  I’ve linked one below, which seemed a thoughtful piece about an interesting and genuine person. RIP.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/12/21/forrest-fezler-passes-away-age-69.html
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
I didn’t know very much about Forrest Fezler, so read a couple of his obituaries.  I’ve linked one below, which seemed a thoughtful piece about an interesting and genuine person. RIP.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/12/21/forrest-fezler-passes-away-age-69.html
Nice obit for a great guy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Mandel

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
Sad news indeed. I had the great pleasure to play the final round of the Dixie Cup some years back with Fuzzy. It was and still is one of my golfing highlights. Fuzzy could not have been nice and his enthusiasm for Tobacco Road was evident. He loved the place and also loved his friend Mike Strantz. I think back to the story he told all of us at Dixie on Saturday night about building the Shore Course as Mike Stantz was struggling. Mike would sketch out the holes and Fuzzy would get on the bulldozer and make those drawing a reality.

RIP Forrest.

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Lyndell Young

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
I was fortunate to play and work with both Mike and Forrest both passionate about golf design and both great guys!  Heavens getting  the design team back together for something special.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
I grew up watching Forrest on TV, my family always finding it fun that we shared the same name.

Paul Cowley introduced us at the 2005 ASGCA meeting at Pebble Beach. I played hooky one day (from Spanish Bay) and joined Forrest F. at Monterey Peninsula Club where we teed it up and began calling each other "brother" -- that stuck and during our encounters over the past several years it was always "Bye brother, take care" that ended our conversations. Sadly, this was how I said goodbye not too long ago during a difficult call.

Forrest was truly gifted, passionate about golf architecture and he held positive belief that nearly any site could be made great with the right effort in creativity, shaping and effort.

I miss him, and have been sending good and positive thoughts to his family since hearing the news.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back