News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Seminole question
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
I'm playing Seminole for the first time next week. What are some of the things I should look for?

Throw away your yardage. To me it's the best feel course I've played. Like someone else said you can hit 4-PW from 150 as an example. The greens might be running 13 so be ready.

Regarding my post, the day is Tuesday December 18 and the unaccompanied rate is $350. Tee time is 1pm.  Sorry I wasn't clear and so many (22) responded. I'll ask again to PM me.
Did you fill the spot?

I think your in good shape as there was only twenty two people that responded before you ten days ago. Stay by the phone.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »
Silly me - I wasn't sure anyone had ever heard of it!!!!!!

Gary Sato

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
I'm playing Seminole for the first time next week. What are some of the things I should look for?

Throw away your yardage. To me it's the best feel course I've played. Like someone else said you can hit 4-PW from 150 as an example. The greens might be running 13 so be ready.

Regarding my post, the day is Tuesday December 18 and the unaccompanied rate is $350. Tee time is 1pm.  Sorry I wasn't clear and so many (22) responded. I'll ask again to PM me.
Did you fill the spot?

I sent two pms. In all I received over 50 messages.

Sorry I can't take everyone.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »
What a shocker...
Hopefully a lively discussion about architecture will ensue.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »

Did you fill the spot?

I sent two pms. In all I received over 50 messages.

Sorry I can't take everyone.
Gary......... how was the round?  Sorry to miss.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Gary Sato

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 10:15:01 PM »
I think Ryan or Alex should answer. They are the two who filled the spots and had not played there before.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 01:56:46 AM »
How can you have a course where the winds are strong enough to have 150 yard 4 irons or pitching wedges yet a claimed green speed around 13? Surely the ball won’t stay still on the greens thus making it unplayable.
Cave Nil Vino

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »
I have played it once and it was a calm day (thank goodness).  The greens were the fastest I have ever played.  I putted it in to a bunker on one hole.  It is a beautiful piece of property and right on the water, but you wouldn't know it except for when you are at the top of the dunes on hole 6.

If you play it, make sure you take a swim in the pool.   :)
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

AChao

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
I'm one of the lucky recipients of Gary's kind offering, and it was my first time playing the course which I've wanted to play and see for many years. 

At the very beginning, I was a little underwhelmed by the driving range, 1st hole, and 2nd hole ... not that they were bad.  However, starting with the tee shot on 3, I loved the course and pretty much every shot from then on to the finish.  The angles, slopes, contours, and the way the wind affected shots were just magnificent.  Just enough to make things interesting on pretty much every shot.  The course looks fairly open and easy, but the green contours combined with slopes and speed of greens made everything very challenging.  No shots are too difficult, but seemingly every approach required a highly precise shot ... shots that were off just a little sometimes found their way into a bunker or a collection area / grass depression. 

I'm a very rusty scratch ish golfer around 50 years old, and we played the 6,700 yard tees.  We were talked out of the 7,250 tees from the golf pros, but I do think me and another member of our foursome probably should have played from 7,250 as we both hit good drives on holes and were through the fairway or behind trees.  The length of the course isn't really the difficulty -- the required precision is.  I managed to make 5 birdies with a few lip-outs for birdie, but I also managed to putt off or chip-off 2 greens and shot 78.  (Wondering if that is the highest score on record for someone who made 5 birdies!)

I do think the course could use some tees around 7,000 yards, and I think the greens shouldn't be any faster given the slope and the wind.  That said, the course was also tremendous fun and one that I could see people love playing every day. 

I haven't been to Pinehurst #2 since the remodel, but I'd have to say I like Seminole more than #2.  #2 is probably a better test of golf for modern tour professionals, but I found Seminole a lot more fun to play.  On a 1 to 10 scale, I'd say Seminole is around a 9 to 9.5. 

Once again, thanks to Gary for a wonderful chance to play such a fine course.  Also, thanks to my playing partners that day who were fun to play with.

(BTW, I'm not Alex but who Gary meant as Alex I'm pretty sure.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back