News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Can you name this course?
« on: December 20, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
Recently, while on vacation, we took a walk up a hill to a local park, only to end up on a golf course. 

I doubt that it has any significant architectural merit, but it has apparently been there a long time and has spectacular views and interestingly is located near the corner of Braid Road and Ross Street with Leven Street not far away.

Can you name it?

Greg Holland

Re: Can you name this course?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:02:14 PM »
Braid’s Hill in Edinburgh?

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
Braid’s Hill in Edinburgh?
Holy shishkabobs I have played one course in Edinburgh proper and as soon as I saw those photos I was thinking wait, what was the name of that course, where we teed off on a baked brown very fast course?  Just ahead of a foursome that consisted of a painting crew which kept their work clothes and 3 of the 4 golfed in what appeared to be their painting coveralls. One of them almost drove the first green!
Great guess Greg and thanks for helping me along in my wonderful memories of this very hilly course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:52:02 AM »

No, it's not Braid's Hill or anywhere else in Scotland.  The pictures are a couple of weeks old and obviously it's a warm weather in December location.  That is a big blue ocean in the background.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 03:59:30 AM »
Looks like the South Island of NZ to me...too hilly for Christchurch, must be Dunedin looking at the size of the place...but too far away from the water to be Chisholm Park...?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:07:34 AM »
Central/Mid-Atlantic island or Mid-Pacific island would be my choice and most likely ex-British Empire.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 05:32:43 AM »
Recently, while on vacation, we took a walk up a hill to a local park, only to end up on a golf course.  I doubt that it has any significant architectural merit, but it has apparently been there a long time and has spectacular views and interestingly is located near the corner of Braid Road and Ross Street with Leven Street not far away.

Can you name it?

No, but my broad area guess is Pacific coast Canada.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tom Kelly

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 07:33:44 AM »
Mornington GC in Wellington, New Zealand?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 11:11:18 AM »

Clyde has the location.  The course is Belleknowes, a 9 hole par 3 established in the 1920's.  Dunedin, known as the Edinburgh f the south, was settled by Scottish Presbyterians in the late 19th century and still has a strong Scottish influence today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back