News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Mallard

OT - Macrihanish GC clubhouse fire
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
Video at link. I'm sure there will be articles starting tomorrow.

Very unfortunate.

https://twitter.com/ScotGolfPodcast/status/1075468084360736769

Jeff Schley

Re: OT - Macrihanish GC clubhouse fire
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
Oh no! :o
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David_Tepper

Ken Kearney

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »
That is tough news.
I remember this happened at my home club, maybe 30 years ago. The atmosphere was never the same after the new house was built.
I dearly hope that MGC simply try to replicate what they had:rather than the oft knee-jerk reaction to build something "bigger and better".
I wish the club well.
KK
KK.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »
That’s not great but I don’t mean to be unkind, it wasn’t the bonniest clubhouse in the world and while adequate (why would you want anything more ?) a new facility with a better layout of the similar scale would probably be a good result. I’m assuming that the club is adequately insured that they can rebuild and I’d be surprised if they weren’t.

However I don’t think the building is the main issue, it’s any items of historical value that were destroyed that will be more keenly missed I’d suggest. A couple of months ago a fire destroyed the Killermont clubhouse of Glasgow GC. The clubhouse itself dated back to the Georgian period and is of course a loss although they may be able to save the façade. However some of the artefacts in the clubhouse were of much more value to the club. Thankfully they managed to rescue many of the trophies but I haven’t heard about the portrait of Old Tom or the original course drawings from 1903 that were hanging on the hall. 

Hopefully any artefacts at Machrihanish were saved.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
yikes- a shame.

Hopefully  the history was saved and they have adequate insurance.

Have  a group booked in in May staying right there at the Ugadale Cottages....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Duncan Cheslett

Re: OT - Macrihanish GC clubhouse fire New
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
The loss of irreplaceable artifacts and safety of persons notwithstanding, the majority of golf clubs would doubtless welcome a good clubhouse fire.

Certainly the several clubs in the South Manchester area who have "suffered" such a fate in recent years all seem to have done rather well out of it!

When a fire broke out at Reddish Vale some 20 odd years ago it was bravely tackled and extinguished by an intrepid member who happened to be passing. The other members never forgave him!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:10:31 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back