News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Somerset Hills course profile updated ... New
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
 … under Courses By Country and Architecture Timeline.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/somerset-hills-country-clu/

Many clubs have done a rotten job of acting as a custodian to their golden age design. The story of Somerset Hills is NOT one such story. Discretion has carried the day ever since the course opened 102 years ago; the Club never lost touch with its sterling Tillinghast design by chasing passing fads. Sure, too many trees were planted and the mow lines were altered but that has all been sorted out now. Tillinghast would instantly recognize and appreciate Somerset Hills if he could see it today.

On a personal note, it joins a handful of courses to have made the greatest impact on me. I lived ~1,000 yards down the hill when I worked at the USGA 1985-1987 and would on the odd occasion (shamefully) walk the perimeter of the front nine in the evenings, looking at the land and holes. The talk at Far Hills though centered on other courses and I didn't get it. Somerset Hills seemed to enjoy better land, have more interesting design features, better greens, and a wider variety of holes versus the courses others put on a pedestal.

Given that I was broke working for the USGA, I had plenty of time to sit in my basement apartment and ponder why my thinking was 'flawed'. Ultimately, I decided that what I put emphasis on (strategy, fun, unique features) differed from others (length, toughness, ‘fairness’). Being able to articulate those differences came slowly but by the mid-1990s, my brother John and I were writing course profiles and circulating them in booklet form to ~twenty friends. Of course, Somerset Hills was in the first one and to this day, it exemplifies the design attributes that we admire the most.

As opposed to the 1985-1998 version of Somerset Hills with which we were familiar, today's course presentation and its playing qualities now are the equal measure to the merit of Tillinghast's design. This updated course profile highlights how that came to pass. It is a special place and we wanted to do its profile justice so we wheeled in Jon Cavalier and his photographs. He loves the place as much as we do and 100% of the photographs in the profile are his. Thank you, Jon!

Just how good is Somerset Hills? Jon captures its magnificent Redan above but 5 or 6 other holes also contend for 'best hole' honors.

GolfClubAtlas went live in 1999 and Somerset Hills holds a special place as being one of the drivers for the creation of GolfClubAtlas itself. Thus, as we close out 2018, there is no profile that beings me more pride in posting than this one. The conversation on architecture has indeed changed over the past thirty years but Somerset Hills is where it has always been: Tillinghast’s finest and a pinnacle of parkland design.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:26:51 AM by Ran Morrissett »

corey miller

Re: Somerset Hills course profile updated ...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

Wonderful profile.

Where would NYC Metro area golf be if Tillinghast had continued to build fun quirky courses such as Somerset Hills and memberships had sought to emulate Somerset Hills rather than Winged Foot?

A very tough challenge for a membership to continue to present a course in a manner that makes it as compelling today as the day it opened. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:34:01 PM by corey miller »

David Wuthrich

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
Cory,
We would having lots more FUN playing golf and the NYC area would be swamped with visitors like us!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:42:37 PM »

Just how good is Somerset Hills? Jon captures its magnificent Redan above but 5 or 6 other holes also contend for 'best hole' honors.

I've played here several times but not since the restoration work. This picture of #2 isn't from the tee is it?

Seems to me the tee is back and to the left.

Brian Finn

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »

I've played here several times but not since the restoration work. This picture of #2 isn't from the tee is it?
This photo is taken from (or near) the 8th green.  The tee for the Redan is back and to the right, from this perspective.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:51:26 PM »

This photo is taken from (or near) the 8th green.  The tee for the Redan is back and to the right, from this perspective.

This photo was most likely taken from the front tee immediately to the left of the 1st Green. It is by no means taken from the 8th Green (too much of the front of the Redan's green opening visible). The tees have been expanded and/or regraded ever so slightly in spots.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brian Finn

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:35:48 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
I believe the photo was taken from the back right edge of the 1st green.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Neil Regan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
Somerset Hills looks just amazing in so many ways. I would love to get there someday!
H.P.S.

Eric LeFante

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »
I was hoping one day we would see Jon’s best photo tour with Ran’s fantastic writing/analysis and my wish came true. Great work guys.

Somerset Hills has unique design features that make it a blast to play. The 5th hole is a short par 4 and if Tillinghast created a small green with deep surrounding bunkers no one would have thought twice. Instead Tillinghast built a medium/large green but decided to build huge mounds on the back third to create a unique hazard within the green to penalize poorly played shots, just like a bunker would, but your recovery shot is different and fun.

The 13th hole is a par 4 with a Biarritz green and principal’s nose bunkers! The bunkers are perfectly placed; if you hit a wayward tee shot and need to hit a low hook/slice around the trees, those bunkers are right in your way so you need to plan your approach accordingly. The front third of the green is a false front and the trough is smaller than other Biarritz (Yale and Forsgate). If the pin is in the trough and you are not in the trough, you have very interesting putt/chip where you can use the opposite side slope to get your ball close to the hole. Has anyone seen a Biarritz green similar to this one?

The 17th hole is a medium length par 4 where a 220 yard tee shot can roll out 50 yards and leave you a wedge with a downhill lie. The hole is begging for you to hit a driver all the way down the hill, which leaves you with a dicey 50 yard pitch to an elevated green. Either option you choose, you need to hit quality shots or this seemingly easy hole can give you problems.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:09:16 PM by Eric LeFante »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 07:49:47 AM »
 Having accompanied both the author and the photographer around this living museum of golf course architecture, it's great to see such a thorough profile posted.

It should be known that playing alongside Jon Cavalier, while he inconspicuously recorded these beautiful images, was a pure joy. Jon is a proverbial "kid in a candy store" and resides in the respectful rapture of these hallowed grounds.

Not so much with Golf's most (bitter ) beloved. He arrives trash talking before even the stepping onto the first tee. His slow, confederate-style, barely audible, drawl was droning on from the parking lot in! I was only lucky that Randolph didn't violate the club's quiet and respectful decorum with another pretentious entrance stepping out from the pimped-out Black Mamba! Good thing he left that behind in N.C.

The day was ultimately his however. Despite departing with a smile and a spring in my step, my game that day was undeniably missing-in-action, plagued with double crosses, pull-hooks, pathetic fades, and power outages. I simply wasn't finding fairways or greens, although once finally aboard the latter, my putting skills were demonstrably better on those vaunted Tilly greens and was easier to watch than Ran's.

No matter how bad I hit it that day, I was still very much alive in our match....testament to how mediocre a player Morrissett truly is....was that day! Down from the very first hole, it actually went to the 17th hole before I closed myself out!

Our host, a good friend and strong player who effortlessly crushes it, was bored beyond belief having to baby-sit two chops duking it out on his turf. His respect for a new guest was all that stopped him from making fun of Ran's game (my game has always been the target of his laughter!). I think he's still recovering from that afternoon.

As I sit here, post Achilles surgery in a boot cast, I won't make any excuses for losing to Randolph...only to say, it'll be a single-minded, tightly-focused goal to return to health to kick his skinny arse all the way back to the farm!

I'll give golf's most beloved one bit of credit. His words and observations about a place as special as Somerset Hills are unparalleled. The club, it's members and staff and Renaissance Golf have done a magnificent and understated job of preserving this gem. They've finally taken it from a state of shabby chic to a beautiful and eminently playable modern existence. The game is lucky to have it reflect all the risks and rewards that A.W.Tillinghast bestowed onto this property.

Let the clock start ticking for Ran's (gloating) response. It's as inevitable as the sun rising on a new day, or Ran making poor political (and automobile) choices.

;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:09:17 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
 Steve, Thank you for the kind words as expressed in your rambling and sometimes coherent post.

Yes, to paraphrase very, very loosely from what Sandy Tatum said while at a nearby Tilly course in 1974, 'You are an embarrassment, and one of the best players in the world was identified today.' 8)

After our match, Steve, with tears welling up in his eyes and ever in love with his rich baritone voice, summoned the courage to step out of character and act like a gentleman by proclaiming, 'In my highly learned opinion, you are the true Champion Golfer for 2018.' A modest appellation, I admit, and perhaps my heroics deserved something grander but given Steve's limited vocabulary, I'll take it.  ;D

In all seriousness, I have known Steve for fifteen years and yes, a medal should be forthcoming. Nonetheless, something happened this year that hadn't in the previous fourteen: he said something insightful. When I published the 147 Custodians, he called in a rage about all the 'mistakes' about my personal list.  :-\ I asked him to name one and after spluttering around a bit, he blurted out that Somerset Hills should have been much higher than #27. Turns out he was right and I was wrong.

There, I said it!

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »
They've finally taken it from a state of shabby chic to a beautiful and eminently playable modern existence.

Steve,

Can you expand on this? Was the state of shabby chic due to the membership's lack of pretentiousness or an ignorant bliss? Shabby from a maintenance standpoint? Just curious? 
H.P.S.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
They've finally taken it from a state of shabby chic to a beautiful and eminently playable modern existence.

Steve,

Can you expand on this? Was the state of shabby chic due to the membership's lack of pretentiousness or an ignorant bliss? Shabby from a maintenance standpoint? Just curious?

PC,

I moved to the area in 2002 and had only played it once prior to then.

Over the bulk of the next decade, the course was usually wet, somewhat over-grown, with bunkers that hardly drained, uneven tee boxes, and fuzzy greens. Since then...and Tom Doak is better suited to opine on this...the trio of Ryan Tuxhorn, Brian Slawnik and various club officers combined to really clean up and deforest the property, install better drainage and present the course with fast and firm conditions that unquestionably enhanced playability.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:11:34 PM by Steve Lapper »

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
Classic.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »
Steve, Thank you for the kind words as expressed in your rambling and sometimes coherent post.

Yes, to paraphrase very, very loosely from what Sandy Tatum said while at a nearby Tilly course in 1974, 'You are an embarrassment, and one of the best players in the world was identified today.' 8)

After our match, Steve, with tears welling up in his eyes and ever in love with his rich baritone voice, summoned the courage to step out of character and act like a gentleman by proclaiming, 'In my highly learned opinion, you are the true Champion Golfer for 2018.' A modest appellation, I admit, and perhaps my heroics deserved something grander but given Steve's limited vocabulary, I'll take it.  ;D

In all seriousness, I have known Steve for fifteen years and yes, a medal should be forthcoming. Nonetheless, something happened this year that hadn't in the previous fourteen: he said something insightful. When I published the 147 Custodians, he called in a rage about all the 'mistakes' about my personal list.  :-\ I asked him to name one and after spluttering around a bit, he blurted out that Somerset Hills should have been much higher than #27. Turns out he was right and I was wrong.

There, I said it!

The habitually loquacious one is accusing me of rambling and occasional coherence...that's rich. Like his political hero (and yes he voting in a state that mattered), he's trying to make golf great again, no matter what the consequences. :o

In what is already the most bizarre of years, Ran is indeed the Championship Golfer of 2018! It's likely a unanimous opinion of all who've played against him that he should unquestionably memorialize that.....for it will be a long, long time and closer to senility, before it happens again! ::)
 XOXO

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »

Steve,

A lot of it is just a cultural change.  Somerset Hills was always an old-money club with many legacy members, and like Shoreacres or Camargo, they didn't spend a lot on maintenance because that's the way it had always been.  It wasn't until Wall Street's influence expanded around 2000 that they started getting new members who wondered why they wouldn't get the course in the same condition as its more famous neighbors.

Plus, the greens are so boldly contoured that they were interesting even at slower speeds.

They changed their standards right about the time they hired us, and that plus hiring a great superintendent has made the difference.  We really haven't done much digging around there; our work has been more about getting the mowing lines and trees right, and a little bit of bunker restoration.

[size=78%] [/size]

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 05:46:15 PM »
I was lucky enough to come in second in a little tournament there many years (25?) ago. I still remember every hole. I thought at the time I could play this course every day for the rest of my life and not yearn for anything else. I have to admit I have thought that about a number of courses.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back