News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Architect Keith Foster in deep trouble
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
Forgiveness is not a path to limit punishment. It's just a cool thing to do that beats being so damn judgmental all the time.
I think that unless you're one of those people Sean listed - friends, family, employees, etc. - you aren't in a position to judge OR forgive.

I've never met the guy; I don't judge him (the law has done so for this narrow slice of his life), so I also don't need to forgive him, either.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
Sean,

Forgiveness is not a path to limit punishment. It's just a cool thing to do that beats being so damn judgmental all the time.

John

It wasn't me who was judgemental, just matter of fact as I would be for any stranger who hasn't committed what I would consider a heinous crime.  Mr Foster rolled the dice and lost.  What does my forgiveness have anything to do with it?

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:29:32 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
So you guys don't judge people until they are in the foursome in front of you. Hell, I start in the parking lot.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2018, 12:02:18 PM »
A wealthy American partipating in the poaching of endangered species for a second unnecessary income is as heinous as it gets. It's not a roll of the dice.

If you don't think innocent humans are killed along the poaching cycle you are naive.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
JK,

You should have been a politician.

On Page 1, you called it a simple bump in the road.
On Page 2, you were giving other people crap about judging.
And then by page 3, it was as heinous as it gets, and admitted yourself to judging people you never met.

With all your contradictions, I think you'd do just fine! 

;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 12:18:49 PM by Kalen Braley »

corey miller

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »

Would the actions of Mr. Foster be less heinous if it was not his second "unnecessary income" ?  I guess his golf business provided an income that should make him "happy"? no more, no less?

Mr. Foster's actions are abhorrent, and hopefully he will get a just punishment (which for me would be the full extent of the law).

That said, and hopefully more light will be shed on the topic,  he seems like a middle-man and those providing the goods as well  the ultimate buyers  are culpable as well.  Obviously a little hard to prosecute those overseas but what of all his customers in the states who knowingly (you don't pay big $$$ for "fake") purchased this stuff? 

Perhaps we don't touch them because they are rich and wealthy and reside in desirable zip codes?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2018, 12:26:04 PM »
Corey,

While I like where you're heading its really a supply side/demand side issue from the perspective of law enforcement.

If you go after demand, you may actually make some headway....but supply-side law enforcement is the best way to ensure job security.  Take out one and the price only goes up which will only encourage one or more to step in to meet demand.  The so called war on drugs is the poster child for this... it couldn't be more backwards.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
If you want to learn about a crime that touches us all, some in ways different than others, listen to this excellent podcast about human trafficking. It changed how I view the world.

https://www.soldinamericapodcast.com/

Mike_Young

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
If I were betting I would be these items we are discussing here are antique upholstery etc.  And if that's the case then the particular agent probably has a lot of leeway in whether he wants to pursue or not.  When you tell him, whether jokingly or not, that you will be bringing some more then that just adds fuel.  Endangered BS is a goofy subject.  How many of you have a wife with a diamond?  Ever read about that stuff.  Did you know if you have a pair of tortoise shell glasses or inlaid jewelry box you may have an endangered species issue? Especially if you bought it overseas and brought it back.  And woods are even a bigger joke.  Did you know you need to register a guitar made of Brazilian rosewood before crossing out of the US if you expect to bring it back.  Cutting boards, bowls and all types of objects are probably around your home and are endangered species.  Knife handles are a big deal...
Anyway, I'm betting much of this arose from these types of situations and if that is the case then I call BS.  And as far as how things are labeled for customs, I have seen all sorts of crap when it comes to custom brokers shipping in and out of the US. Even saw ironwood that needed to be in the USA built into crates for motorcycles in Brazil so that it could be brought into the US without an issue.  If it were brought and listed as lumber then it was illegal but if it were just a crate then it was fine. 
i'm just betting there is much more to this...the mistake was telling an undercover dude he was going to keep bringing in these things.   That probably got the agent dude all fired up....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:46:20 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jason Thurman

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
How has nobody made a Harvester joke yet? It's like if Mike had built a course called The Speculator.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mike_Young

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2018, 08:53:15 PM »
How has nobody made a Harvester joke yet? It's like if Mike had built a course called The Speculator.
Got to explain more ...I don't get it...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John_Cullum

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »
Well, Tom, I agree that our justice system is unequal and full of inconsistencies in the application of the law.  But I disagree with your opinion of the demographic who benefits- last I saw of Keith, he is rather white and I would bet that if he can write the government a check for $250k, he is comfortably in the "Top 10%".

Like Pete P, my heart goes out to Keith's employees who had several jobs lined up (I am aware of two clubs which still have not fired him, yet) and are most likely blameless.  Other than deterrence, what does the government gain by putting Keith in jail and preventing him from earning?

And I was under the impression that even the most serious of crimes, capital murder, are not deterred by the severest of punishments, death.  If Keith was a bricklayer working with Habitat For Humanity, would they throw the book at him?  What if he was of a different race?  Is he being made an example to inform others, or is he a trophy and a chit to justify a bonus for the bureaucracy?

We were talking about the offenses yesterday and how it might have come to the attention of the authorities.  Did Keith really do something to endanger the existence of important species, or was his flaunting of laws that many don't regard as reasonable or necessary land him in the can?  How many of us knowingly violate laws which we might hold in similar disregard?  There are more than 50 volumes of laws, way too many to count individually, 4500+ federal crimes alone.  With a prosecutor on a mission and an unlimited budget, are any of us safe from one day wearing stripes?

It is a very competitive market in Keith's line of work.  Wonder how he came to the attention of the government?

Trump has signed a bill to reduce the punishment for some very serious crimes that did not involve violence.  I hope that the authorities and the judge consider the nature of the crimes in meting out punishment, as well as who is being punished and why.

Just for the record, I don't see anything patently offensive here. Happy New Year Lou.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Eric Smith

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »

He says the sheriff is near.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »

He says the sheriff is near.

Let’s play chess.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
I'm not 100% firm on forgiveness ideology, but isn't it the case that in order to be forgiven, you must repent first?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
It often takes a second cup of coffee to choke down a piece of burnt toast.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
This was sad news to read, on several fronts. Keith has always been a gentlemen to me. I recall his first "big" assignment here in Arizona, the re-building of Roy Dye's Mummy Mountain into Stonecreek ... later on, re-done by Greg Nash. Keith was (is perhaps) still a collector of golf memorabilia, and I believe this is how he got into antiques and imports. I wish him well, and hope a balance can be reached where he repays his crimes ... then gets to move on.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Craig Sweet

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
He says he knew it was illegal, but did it anyways....Wow!  Such a sense of entitlement, or utter stupidity!

Might as well been peddling heroin or gun running.

No mercy...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
He says he knew it was illegal, but did it anyways....Wow!  Such a sense of entitlement, or utter stupidity!

Might as well been peddling heroin or gun running.

No mercy...

It is interesting to read the first line followed by how disconnected it is from the second. Do as I say not as I do Craigie boy :o

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2018, 10:57:13 AM »
Craig,

Is it possible to be a golf course superintendent and not have a chemical oopsie that skirts the boundary of the law? Don't you want a touch of mercy now and then?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »

Forrest,

Yes, very surprising.  Always had a great public image, and I enjoyed our friendship and golf rounds, etc., while he was a member of ASGCA.  I hope he comes out of this as well as possible.

Keith is legendary as a great salesman/presenter in the biz.  Whenever I lost to him, clients mentioned his sincerity, passion, message being on point, etc.  Just a guess, but if he gets a chance to plead his case to a judge, he has, IMHO, a good chance to talk himself into a minimum or low sentence, less than the five years maximum.  Of course, his public image of sincerity has taken a hit, which might mean he is sailing into the wind, especially if the judge is an environmentally minded one.   
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Terry Lavin

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »
If he comes clean one should expect a modicum of mercy.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »

while he was a member of ASGCA. 

Speaking of that, did he quit?  Or is he barred because of this case?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 04:21:19 PM »

Speaking oTBf that, did he quit?  Or is he barred because of this case?

He resigned 5 years ago. Not sure why.why
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Lou_Duran

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »

Speaking oTBf that, did he quit?  Or is he barred because of this case?

He resigned 5 years ago. Not sure why.why

Maybe he didn't like the blazers?

Or perhaps he did a cost/benefit analysis?

As to the crime and punishment issues here, the WSJ ran an article recently by a Barry Latzer noting that 23% of felons convicted for violent crimes in the U.S. are sentenced to NO incarceration.  A stuffed owl, some turtle shells, maybe a few antique items containing something that a bureaucrat years later deemed "endangered" are equivalent offenses as "peddling heroin and gun running"?   ::)  I wonder what is driving 75 in a 50 akin to?  Or in UT tonight, a woman targeted by the DUI warriors after having a typical gin and tonic with dinner, what punishment is "fair" to the righteous?   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back