News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Architect Keith Foster in deep trouble
« on: December 20, 2018, 12:14:34 AM »
This is a shocker: On Wednesday, golf course architect Keith Foster pleaded guilty to smuggling endangered wildlife for an antique store he'd long run on the side. He faces up to five years in federal prison.

Here's the story from the Farquier Times:

https://www.fauquier.com/news/former-middleburg-shop-owner-pleads-guilty-to-smuggling-endangered-wildlife/article_fee97530-03f6-11e9-b900-5fbb7d3fe136.html

Here's the news release from the Department of Justice, Eastern District of Virginia:

Antiques Shop Owner Guilty of Smuggling Endangered Wildlife[/b]
[/font]
[/size]ALEXANDRIA, Va. – The owner of an antiques and specialty shop in Middleburg pleaded guilty today to violating the Lacey Act by illegally selling and transporting between $250,000 and $500,000 worth of items made from endangered species, migratory birds, and other wildlife.According to court documents, Keith Foster, 60, of Upperville, was the owner of The Outpost LLC.  The Outpost specialized in selling foreign-sourced merchandise, a portion of which included wildlife products made from endangered species such as crocodiles, sea turtles, and sawfish. To evade enforcement by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Foster relied on a shipping company to falsify import records in order to hide wildlife items and avoid inspection by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other law enforcement officials.According to court documents, on numerous occasions beginning in December 2016, Foster discussed with a customer the unlawful nature of his conduct, including telling a customer it was illegal to import sawfish blades but he was going to continue to smuggle them, saying, “Rest assured, I’m gonna bring more in. Cause I’m the only fool in the States that probably wants to risk it.”During March and April 2017, Foster imported over 100 undeclared wildlife items, including items protected by the Endangered Species Act and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) such as sea turtle shell, sawfish blades, crocodile skin bags, coral, and mounted birds of prey. CITES is an international treaty that provides protection to fish, wildlife and plant populations that are or could be harmed as a result of trade and restricts the international trade and transport of species that are threatened with extinction. According to court documents, on April 12, 2017, Foster showed a customer numerous wildlife pieces for sale, including sawfish blades, turtle shell, ivory, zebra hide, crocodile, and various birds and bird parts. Foster told the customer about smuggling wildlife, about lacking the proper CITES permits to purchase, export, and later import some protected wildlife, and about the dangers of being caught by United States Customs. The customer then purchased numerous wildlife items including sawfish blades, a mounted barn owl, and a jar made from sea turtle shell, all of which were previously smuggled by The Outpost. The customer was in fact an undercover U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agent.As part of his plea agreement, Foster and The Outpost forfeited $275,000 and over 175 items made from wildlife, which were previously smuggled and being offered for sale.Foster pleaded guilty to violating the Lacey Act and faces a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison when sentenced on March 8, 2019. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.G. Zachary Terwilliger, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, and Edward Grace, Acting Assistant Director of Law Enforcement for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, made the announcement after U.S. District Judge Leonie M. Brinkema accepted the plea. Assistant U.S. Attorney Gordon D. Kromberg is prosecuting the case.This case is being investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement, with assistance from Homeland Security Investigations, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. A copy of this press release may be found on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. Related court documents and information may be found on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia or on PACER by searching for Case No. 1:18-cr-455 and 1:18-cr-456.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jeff Schley

Re: Architect Keith Foster in deep trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:28:42 AM »
Uh oh!  Olympia Fields has him developing master plans for both courses right now......... or maybe it will be past tense after this news.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
Yikes.
H.P.S.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
So much for Congo, as well, presumably.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

corey miller

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »

What sickos actually buy this stuff?  I can only imagine it is "worth" such ridiculous prices if the customers are also made aware of the illegal nature of the business. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
This isn't a time to judge a friend who has hit a bump in the road of life and is paying a high price. I've never met Keith but I hope he knows that he isn't alone.

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
So if he reached a plea agreement, it’s probably too late to use the George Costanza defense/excuse (“Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?”)...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
Really hard to wrap my head around. Worked with KF for a summer at Colonial.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:39:36 PM »
I'm surprised that he was importing all this stuff from England. England has always struck me as much more concerned and protective of this type of merchandise than America. I guess not!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
Removed
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:06:52 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ed Homsey

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
I'm with JK on this. 

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 04:47:17 PM »
    Possibly inspired by the Brando/Matthew Broderick movie The Freshman?   Anyone remember the Komodo dragon banquet?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
Geoff Shackelford, who obviously thinks this is all a big joke, posted that link this morning.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2018/12/20/golf-architect-keith-foster-facing-five-years-for-smuggling-endangered-wildlife-goods

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
This is unfortunate and sad. If even half the things Mr. Foster is quoted as saying are true, he is indeed the "fool" he says he is.

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
This isn't a time to judge a friend who has hit a bump in the road of life and is paying a high price. I've never met Keith but I hope he knows that he isn't alone.
I agree.  I have always found Keith to be a good guy.  Wish him the best...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
Yes, sure.
A ‘good guy’ who pleads guilty in YOUR legal system to, quite frankly, a disgusting crime, needs ‘good wishes’. Hmmm.
Get real.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 07:03:06 PM »
Oh, and PS.
I hope this thread gets killed.
Not really on-topic...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »
Yes, sure.
A ‘good guy’ who pleads guilty in YOUR legal system to, quite frankly, a disgusting crime, needs ‘good wishes’. Hmmm.
Get real.
F.
He’s obviously the victim of a witch hunt, and a great guy...who was dumb enough to admit to his crime on tape to an undercover agent. Yep, no doubt a target of the “deep state”.
 ::)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
He is a 60 year old man who has plead guilty to his crimes and now stands virtually naked on our doorstep. The doorstep of a discussion group that centers on the very career that he will not longer be able to practice. He faces a long hard road of real punishment and humiliation. It's Christmas, how about just once inviting the guy in and let him know that we can still love and forgive him.

Just next time you contact an architect and ask for some free golf or access let him know the terms of your deal.

JESII

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
Yes, sure.
Get real.
F.

Clearly, based on this reaction, you have never, but think of a friend you may have that fallen off the right track. Would you enjoy someone they didn’t know kicking dirt on them?

Food for thought...

SL_Solow

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Foster should not be punished for his misdeeds.  Rather, they are expressing a very human reaction of sorrow for someone who otherwise has led what appears to be an exemplary life but who ultimately failed to live by the rules of society.  As someone who has been involved in the judicial system for a long time, I continue to be surprised by the number of ordinary people who, without any apparent reason, succumb to temptation.  "To err is human".......  Best wishes for the season.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 10:40:45 PM »
What Mr. Solow said, 100%.  I am fairly sure that he disclosed his troubles to his current and prospective clients and, I would bet, that some will stick with him.   Yes, tis the season for forgiveness, compassion, and good feeling.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 11:48:33 PM »
“For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” Matthew 6:14-15

Judgment and vengeance belong to God. However, trust and forgetting is not obligatory in forgiveness. He will carry a heavy burden without anyone else increasing his load.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 12:24:33 AM »
No one condones the mistreatment of innocent animals. This scandal will test the commitment to an Audubon Certification. I always wondered if it just another expensive piece of paper.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back