News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Changes at the top
« on: December 18, 2018, 09:31:10 AM »
Good article on all the crap that goes on for no reason other than feeding the executives of the mentioned.
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pellucid/perspective_201812/index.php?utm_source=newsletter_414&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=18-12-15-tpp-grp#/4
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joe Leenheer

Re: Changes at the top
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
I'm not one to defend the AGA,WGF, or USGA..but the PGA of America does more for the game and PGA members then this article states.  No doubt the move to Texas is an interesting one, and running tournaments is an important part of what the PGA does on a national/global level. However, at the grass roots level they offer many benefits to their members as well as some trickle down economics from the big deals.  It is up to the individual PGA member to continue to educate themselves, become better instructors, offer better local programming, take advantage of national PGA offerings, and ultimately continue to grow the game.

I will also say the First Tee is a wonderful organization, but agree that it is not the saving grace golf needs.  PGA Junior League, IMO, is going to reinvigorate (and already has) the junior golf world. A strong base of future golfers is being built by this program.

One thing that is missing in many growth of the game initiatives is technology and indoor (fast) golf opportunities.  In our area we are seeing a small boom of indoor golf facilities which will hopefully give people in areas with variable climates to be engaged in the game on a more consistent basis.  More and more clubs and courses are starting to implement indoor golf as a resource for their members/customers as the technology becomes more affordable (launch monitors, projectors, Optishot, etc.).

There's definitely a lot of "crap" going on...but it's not all bad crap as this article would make it out to seem.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Mike_Young

Re: Changes at the top
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
Joe,I get your drift and agree that there is some good stuff going on.  IMHO all the associations have gained too much control of the game and the business.  Let's face it.  They have created businesses off the back of the members who often don't benefit from the very association.  And as for the PGA and the GCSAA both organizations are, in most cases, composed of employees of clubs or courses not owners.  The PGA lost me for the most part when they allowed the CMAA to step on their weiner.  I know some really good golf operators who happen to be PGA professionals and do a great job.  I also know some PGA professionals who do a lousy job and think they should have a pass over the guy who works his butt of but chooses not to be in the PGA for whatever reason.  Actually I think right now less than 6000 clubs have a class A PGA member out of the 15500 clubs we have in the States. 

I do think you are dead on with PGA Junior League and I don't care for First Tee at all.  It's mainly a vehicle to give corporate America a "marketing feel good" thing and there is no reason to pay an executive director what they pay him. 

Pellucid usually states it like it is and often golf doesn't want to hear that.  JMO...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back