News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Golfing highlight of 2018
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
Normally when I start this thread my highlight has been a golfing trip. Well, not this year. The ability to continue to play, albeit not to the standard I have been used to, has been the feature of 2018. It has taken some adjustment but playing is better than not.

The second highlight has been the possibility of 2 new courses being built near Tara Iti and open to the public. I hope the plans eventuate and we have 2 wonderful courses near Auckland.

Mark_F

Re: Golfing highlight of 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
Your golfing highlight for next year is already set in stone though, Ash.

Playing at Peninsula with Mike and I. ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »
with me, not with I.

For I, purchasing a TM M2 driver for $175. Can't wait to hit it outdoors next spring.

RM
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Will Lozier

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »
For me, getting back to Bandon after caddying there during the 2008 season. While I played rather poorly in some fierce wind, I did do something I've never done before, holed out for eagle on a par-4. Ironically, it came during my only solo round (out of 9) and on the 18th at Trails. NO ONE saw it!

The whole round was very strange. I felt as though my late father who passed 12 years ago was the only one with me. Twice I got up and down from IMPOSSIBLE lies around the 1st and 17th green. And then, the eagle from 142 yards. Definitely the best 3 hours on a golf course in a long time and one of the most spiritual walks I've ever taken.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
I had a pretty terrific "golf" year in 2018 but frankly the highlight was the 2018 Mashie where we were lucky enough to host a group of (mostly) first timers at White Bear then follow it up with a couple of days of golf at Northland in Duluth. That was a very fun weekend.
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »
I don't replace irons very often. I bought some Mizuno irons about fifteen years ago. They served me very well, but I put them in retirement in September. I put some PXGs in the bag. Wow, what a good decision. If I keep them as long as the Mizunos I'll be 86 when I would retire them. I think I have them for the duration.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
Mark,

A week in Melbourne, with some golf with you and the other suspects would be a highlight for most people.

Looking forward to it.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »
The absolute highlight of my year was the opportunity to meet up with a group of GCAers at the Dunvegan in St Andrews to honor our good friend Bill McBride. It is a day I will never forget.

The gathering...
Niall Carlton, Ward Peyronnin, Jerry Kluger, Michael Whitaker, Sheena Willoughby, Mayday Malone, Nicky Chaplin, Chris Shaida, Mark Chaplin (in back).

Here is a link to the thread detailing our "ceremony" for Uncle Bill:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65856.25.html
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 05:52:33 AM »
One of the last rounds on our trip to Maine was at Cape Arundel.  We had the first tee time of the day on a beautiful Saturday morning.  When we arrived at 6:25, the guy in the golf shop told us that President George W. Bush would be playing in front of us.  The guy in the shop assured us that he wouldn't hold us up, naturally I thought, "Yeah, right" as I am one of the fastest players on planet earth and my wife isn't exactly slow either.   

We were sitting in our cart when the two big SUV's pulled up.  As they pulled up my wife leaned over to me and said "Should we be standing at attention or something?"  To which I replied, "No idea." He got out of the car and immediately came over to say hi to us.  He chatted with us for a couple minutes and was very nice.  He also assured us that he wouldn't hold us up.  One other guy was playing with him and they headed to the first tee at 6:55 along with three carts of Secret Service.

To my shock, President Bush was 100% correct, we never caught them.  After four holes, they were two holes ahead of us.  We only really interacted with them on the course once, when they were looking for a ball in an adjoining fairway.  It was pretty funny to see two golfers and six Secret Service Agents looking for a golf ball in the trees! 

The entrance drive to Cape Arundel cuts right through the 18th fairway.  As we were driving up 18 we saw the SUV's getting ready to leave so we parked and watched them leave.  We waved to the president as he drove by.  He blew my wife a kiss and she "caught it"  That made him smile.  Meeting a president was never really a goal of mine but it was still a very cool experience.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jay Mickle

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 07:08:01 AM »
On the back 9 at Pine Needles with NO greens in regulation I managed a ho-hum 38. Would have been better if that had given me better than an 86.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Steve Kline

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
I can't limit it to one.

1. Playing golf again after a six-year absence.
2. 2018 Midwest Mashie. Great company and great golf at White Bear and Northland.
3. LAWSONIA! Played on a windy 40 degree but sunny by myself with one other twosome on the course.
4. After a fitting at the end of November, the new clubs arrive last week. Srixon 4-gap wedge, Titliest T2 driver and 3 wood. Love the irons. Great feel and ball flight. Definitely going further than my old ones. The driver is a huge improvement in ball flight and distance as is the 3 wood, which carries as far as my old driver.

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 10:08:09 AM »
Playing a round on the Sandbox at Sand Valley with my daughter.

Brad Payne

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
I’ve got two. First, winning my flight in the SF City Championship and also making back-to-back birdies on the two par 3’s, 15 & 16 at Cruden Bay.
Founder and CEO, Walker Trolleys
We are creating the most beautiful, high-end golf push cart for the player, purist, aficionado that appreciates style, form and functionality and chooses to walk the game.
https://www.walkertrolleys.com

David Wuthrich

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
For me, each year it is getting to play and travel with your golf buddies, play new and exciting courses and meeting new golf friends along the way!

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 12:31:57 PM »
Finally making the pilgrimage to AGNC to watch The Masters.

Nothing I did on the golf course this year was a highlight.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

David Davis

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:54:55 PM »
#1 Spending a few days at Royal County Down with a group of friends from Chicago area to celebrate a 50th birthday. Affording multiple plays there for the first time ever and a much greater appreciation for the course. Including one of the best 36 hole days ever with a morning 18 and afternoon 8 ball foursomes.

#2 Finishing off the World Top 100 at Augusta National at the end of November plus the great experience of staying in the cabins.

#3 Playing St. Enodoc for the first time. Love that place.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

James Reader

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
#1 Spending a few days at Royal County Down with a group of friends from Chicago area to celebrate a 50th birthday. Affording multiple plays there for the first time ever and a much greater appreciation for the course. Including one of the best 36 hole days ever with a morning 18 and afternoon 8 ball foursomes.

#2 Finishing off the World Top 100 at Augusta National at the end of November plus the great experience of staying in the cabins.

#3 Playing St. Enodoc for the first time. Love that place.

Wow!  Number 2 has got to have taken some keeping off the top spot!

Paul Jones

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »
- Playing and joining Moraine CC
- Playing Rock Creek Cattle and completed the US Top 100 for the past 10 years (2007 - 2017)
- Playing in the 1854 Invitational
- Playing Pinehurst 2, Mid Pines, Augusta Natl on the same golf trip
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:16:37 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 04:02:27 PM »
- Playing and joining Moraine CC
- Playing Rock Creek Cattle and completed the US Top 100 for the past 10 years (2007 - 2017)
- Playing in the 1854 Invitational

- Playing Pinehurst 2, Mid Pines, Augusta Natl on the same golf trip

Braggart!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
For me the day spent at Haxterpark near Paderborn, Germany. This is the most astounding golf project I ever saw. Inclusionary to the extreme (handicapped folks working the office etc.) and the owners are total golf geeks. Fescue greens, a brown course, great shaping, no back tees - they are simple getting it. When I told the owners they need to raise fees to do their course justice, they hated the idea as too snobby. These guys have the best course in the region and yet are the cheapest as well.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

MKrohn

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »

I guess like the OP, highlights are generally trips away, trundling around my home track whilst enjoyable doesn't hit any great highs unless I sneak in a par or under round (and both are a distant memory)

I have a mate who lives in Paris, this year he organised a golf trip for us and two days (Friday/Sunday) at the Ryder Cup.

We played St Nom, St Cloud, Chantilly, Fountainbleau and 27 at Morfontaine. Fantastic courses, history and some of the most magnificent club houses and hospitality (despite the stereo types)

We were weirded out a little at Chantilly, you come around some corners or arrive at a par 3 and you swear you are somewhere on the Melbourne sand belt.

Tom Allen

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 04:52:33 PM »
Played a full 18-hole round with my daughter, who has picked up the game at age 12 (for 10 years I have been hoping this would be the case, but I never pushed it).

P.S. She actually joined the middle school golf team (the only girl, I might add).  :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
Playing in my first BUDA this past May was a highlight for me, as I got to see some old friends and meet some GCA "legends" there.

A belated shout-out of thanks to Steve Wilson for organizing such a successful event.

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »
One of the last rounds on our trip to Maine was at Cape Arundel.  We had the first tee time of the day on a beautiful Saturday morning.  When we arrived at 6:25, the guy in the golf shop told us that President George W. Bush would be playing in front of us.  The guy in the shop assured us that he wouldn't hold us up, naturally I thought, "Yeah, right" as I am one of the fastest players on planet earth and my wife isn't exactly slow either.   

We were sitting in our cart when the two big SUV's pulled up.  As they pulled up my wife leaned over to me and said "Should we be standing at attention or something?"  To which I replied, "No idea." He got out of the car and immediately came over to say hi to us.  He chatted with us for a couple minutes and was very nice.  He also assured us that he wouldn't hold us up.  One other guy was playing with him and they headed to the first tee at 6:55 along with three carts of Secret Service.

To my shock, President Bush was 100% correct, we never caught them.  After four holes, they were two holes ahead of us.  We only really interacted with them on the course once, when they were looking for a ball in an adjoining fairway.  It was pretty funny to see two golfers and six Secret Service Agents looking for a golf ball in the trees! 

The entrance drive to Cape Arundel cuts right through the 18th fairway.  As we were driving up 18 we saw the SUV's getting ready to leave so we parked and watched them leave.  We waved to the president as he drove by.  He blew my wife a kiss and she "caught it"  That made him smile.  Meeting a president was never really a goal of mine but it was still a very cool experience.

Cory-I don’t know if you are north of 1500 courses played at this point but regardless it’s an incredible amount. Where do the Cape Arundel greens stack up against the field? Would they be top 25? Thanks.

John McCarthy

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »
Last hole of my 40s from the tips of 18 at Beverley, nearly getting home in 2 and actually getting the birdie. 

Injury marred year.  Played Naperville for the first time - such a nice little course.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back