News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: "Pine Valley In Florida"
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
 8)

do they allow public play ....is it tough to get access

Jay Revell

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
Stanley Thompson designed Hyde Park, with a couple of the original bunkers still there completely untouched.

So sorry I've been away from this thread! Florida is the fake Donald Ross capital of the world...Rees and I have a mutual friend that has all the evidence you could ever need. Bendelow, Clark, Thompson, Raynor, and others have all  been covered up by inflated Ross lineage in the Sunshine State...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »
Stanley Thompson designed Hyde Park, with a couple of the original bunkers still there completely untouched.

So sorry I've been away from this thread! Florida is the fake Donald Ross capital of the world...Rees and I have a mutual friend that has all the evidence you could ever need. Bendelow, Clark, Thompson, Raynor, and others have all  been covered up by inflated Ross lineage in the Sunshine State...

Don't forget the unmitigated crimes against one H. Bert Way!
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »

Well, let's have them.

Other than the courses noted in this thread and Orlando and Palma Ceia, what other courses have it wrong?  Love to hear some surprises, but I'm pretty sure we've talked about them here at one point or another.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Rees Milikin

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »

Well, let's have them.

Other than the courses noted in this thread and Orlando and Palma Ceia, what other courses have it wrong?  Love to hear some surprises, but I'm pretty sure we've talked about them here at one point or another.

Panama CC - CH Alison
Pinecrest - I believe this is a Bert Way design
Lake Wales CC - Raynor
Keystone Heights - some guy whose name escapes me.

There might be more.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 12:17:03 AM »
Ross, as well as a "protege of Donald Ross," has been given credit for Ocala Golf Club for decades. In my research for a book on the club's history, I could find no connection between Ross and the actual architect.. E. Ellsworth Giles.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
Ross, as well as a "protege of Donald Ross," has been given credit for Ocala Golf Club for decades. In my research for a book on the club's history, I could find no connection between Ross and the actual architect.. E. Ellsworth Giles.

Daniel -

I'd be interested in hearing more about Giles, as I'm not even sure if it was Giles Sr. or Jr. that was involved at Ocala.

I have no doubts that Ross knew both of them.  Sr. was a major figure in the Pittsburgh golf scene, working with the WPGA and writing for one of the local papers.  Jr. was an accomplished player as a youth and at Princeton, and competed in at least two tournaments at Pinehurst that were probably overseen by Ross.

As for either of their architectural pedigrees, I have not heard their names associated with any other projects other than a site survey done for Wheeling CC in WV in the early 1920's.

As a side note, do you have any idea what course John Duncan Dunn built in Ocala?

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Daniel Jones

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »

Daniel -

I'd be interested in hearing more about Giles, as I'm not even sure if it was Giles Sr. or Jr. that was involved at Ocala.

I have no doubts that Ross knew both of them.  Sr. was a major figure in the Pittsburgh golf scene, working with the WPGA and writing for one of the local papers.  Jr. was an accomplished player as a youth and at Princeton, and competed in at least two tournaments at Pinehurst that were probably overseen by Ross.

As for either of their architectural pedigrees, I have not heard their names associated with any other projects other than a site survey done for Wheeling CC in WV in the early 1920's.

As a side note, do you have any idea what course John Duncan Dunn built in Ocala?

Sven

Sven,

It was Sr. who designed Ocala. Giles spent the winter in Southern Pines, so it is likely he and Ross knew one another. As for other work.. During my research, I found other credits to Giles.. Nemacolin Country Club, Shannopin Country Club, and another known as Ohio View.

The course by John Duncan Dunn was Ocala's first. A 9-hole course that is now covered by the town's "historic district" of homes. The clubhouse still remains and is now a private residence. The course opened in February of 1901 and closed in the mid-20's around the time the first 9 hole course at Ocala Golf Club came about.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back