News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

BBC Mastermind
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
I expected it to be a bit more difficult than that ??

:(

Your Chosen Subject - Links Golf Courses of GB&I - You have two minutes ....

1. Which Scottish Course last hosted the Open in 1925 ?
2. What was the name of the member of Wallasey GC who devised a popular scoring system ?
3. Jose Maria Olazabel won the Amateur Championship in 1984 at what course ?
4. Which golfers second shot on the penultimate hole of the 1926 Open is commemorated with a plaque ?
5. Which course in County Kerry has a par 3 called "Mass Hole" ?
6. The Championship course at Felixstowe Ferry GC takes it name from a Napoleonic Tower that dominates its landscape, what is it called ?
7. What is the name of the 7th and newest of courses at St. Andrews ?
8. The Carnegie Links are on the grounds of what Scottish Castle ?
9. What is the name of the 15th hole at North Berwick GC, that has been copied around the World ?
10. The first course outside Scotland & England to host the Open in 1951 and will return there in 2019 ?
11. What other sporting venue shares part of the ground taken up by Great Yarmouth & Caister golf course ?
12. What is the name of the 126 yard 8th hole at Royal Troon ?
13. There are two golf links in Wales with the Royal Prefix ?
14. Which golf course features a bunker called the himalaya, said to be the largest in Europe ?
...... Beep !

Rich Goodale

Re: BBC Mastermind
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
Thanks, Brian!  Did it come up on a recent Beeb show? (I've been in the States for the past few months).

As a few geezers here may know, I did the same gig with the same subject in 1997, the last year of Magnus Magnusson's reign.  Once the rest of the board gets a chance to try the above questions, I'd be happy to unearth and post the list of questions I had to answer in the black chair, if and when you and/or others would so wish.

Rich

PS-I scored 11/14 on the questions above, within the 2 minutes allowed.  Almost as good as in 1997, when 2.5 minutes were allowed and I scored 17/20.  Overall good enough to get into the semis, but not at all good enough there (doing the Wines of France as my specialite) to get to the final Finals on Orkney, alas.

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:16 AM »
Thanks, Brian!  Did it come up on a recent Beeb show? (I've been in the States for the past few months).

Last night Rich.

I have shortened some of the more obvious questions.

The Contestant got 13 out of the 14 correct  (the Felixstowe Ferry question he answered ..... Felixstowe Ferry !)

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »

Here is the contestants follow up General Knowledge questions for anyone who wants to test themselves:

General Knowledge .....

1. What type of radiation is often abbreviated to UV ?
2. What dessert is known as La Glace in French ?
3. What name is given to any muscle with three points of origin, especially the large muscle that extends along the back of the upper arm ?
4. The Metical is the unit of currency in what SE African Country ?
5. Maria Ann Smith gave her name to what tart green variety of fruit ?
6. Which Briton is the most successful sailor in Olympic history ?
7. Hoy, famous for its sea stack known as Old Man is the second largest island in what group ?
8. The fiscal watchdog formed in May 2010 to make an independent assessment of the public finances and the economy is called the OBR, which stands for what ?
9. Who won the booker prize of his novel, Remains of the Day ?
10. A murder is the collective noun for what breed of generally solitary dark coloured bird ?
11. Sir John Franklins ill fated expedition of 1845 to 47 is credited with proving the existence of what sea route ?
12. Which character actor has played Denis Thatcher, John Bayley, Bridgets father in Bridget Jones's Diary ?
13. What animal with its young is featured cut in half in Damien Hirst's work, Mother and Child Divided ?
14. For what construction project does the First Book of Kings says that Hiram the King of Tyre provided Solomon with materials and men ?
15. Which band had their only number one single in 1969 with Blackberry Way ?
16. Cliff Morgan was one of the original captains on Question of Sport, a boxing champion was the other, who was he ?
17. What organ of the body is affected by the debilitating condition, macular degeneration ?
18. Which American born Violinist and conductor who settled in England founded the school of music at Stoke Damarel named after him ?
19. In which Jane Austen novel does the heroine reject Henry Crawfords proposal of marriage ?
20. What alternative name for the side drum is take from the string stretched across the parchment at its ends ?

...... Beep !

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »
Great effort back in ‘97* Rich. Well done.
For those unfamiliar with Mastermind this might give you a general inkling of proceedings - [size=78%]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HEjdJszBbY8[/size]
 :)
Atb

*corrected Rich. My apologies. Great effort. Well done.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:58:02 AM by Thomas Dai »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 10:15:18 AM »
ATB

It was '97.  I'm not that old!"

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 04:00:11 AM »
Good quiz Brian. I only got 10 out of the 13 questions. Your question 13 is not possible to answer as it is a statement ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
Jon I got the correct answer.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:06:46 AM »
Jon I got the correct answer.

Bully for you Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back