News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Southern Hills Restoration
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »

Pretty impressive things happening above AND below the ground. Gil Hanse, Russ Myers & company seem to be doing something special, again. They both worked together at LACC, also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCRWD0c_a8

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Lou_Duran

Re: Southern Hills Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:07:10 PM »
Thanks Tony for a wonderful, informative video.  I always thought of Southern Hills as very similar to Colonial but with much better topography on a larger site.  The green complexes, probably owing to the natural grade of the land where Maxwell sited them, also had more movement.  I don't remember, did Colonial install the subsurface climate control system in its greens?

I've been trying to get our golf club to consider the BBB method for two or three years.  At $1+ Million for a well-bunkered modern course with less than discerning members to pay for it, it is probably not going to happen.  Are there other similarly performing bunker systems at 50-60% of the price?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »
Thanks Tony for a wonderful, informative video.  I always thought of Southern Hills as very similar to Colonial but with much better topography on a larger site.  The green complexes, probably owing to the natural grade of the land where Maxwell sited them, also had more movement.  I don't remember, did Colonial install the subsurface climate control system in its greens?

I've been trying to get our golf club to consider the BBB method for two or three years.  At $1+ Million for a well-bunkered modern course with less than discerning members to pay for it, it is probably not going to happen.  Are there other similarly performing bunker systems at 50-60% of the price?

Lou,
  When I was at Colonial and we renovated in 2008, we completed the installation of Subair. Now with Gil Hanse as their consulting architect for the future, options similar to those in the video are being discussed for the future.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JimB

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »
See below
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:09:06 PM by JimB »

JimB

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »

Are there other similarly performing bunker systems at 50-60% of the price?

You might want to take a look at this product. In use at several west coast courses.

https://polylastsystems.com/polylast-products/bunker-liner/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:17:20 PM by JimB »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Thanks Jim.  I see that the liner strips are joined with an adhesive.  Are they then stapled to the bunker floor? 

JimB

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
Are they then stapled to the bunker floor?

I'm not an expert but I do see they mention stapling to the bunker floor in the installation guide.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Hey Lou, we used Polylast out at River Crest if you want to come over and take a look at it sometime. 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »
Maybe a dumb question, but can you tell after the sand is in? I know we have something because there is a popular place in a practice bunker where I caught something unnatural.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:40:38 AM »
Would anyone be able to DM me the text from this article:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/bill-haisten-southern-hills-makeover-is-impressive-extensive-and-on/article_2177d7f5-1569-54bf-a926-13a680814d2b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

I can't seem to access it because I am in the EU, but would love to read about the progress!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back