News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

MOORLAND MEET IN MAY Manchester GC & Huddersfield GC
« on: November 26, 2018, 01:44:53 AM »
Just sounding out interest for a get-together next year at two old moorland classics - Colt's Manchester GC and Fowler's (et al) Huddersfield GC. Although on opposite sides of the cultural divide that is the Pennines, the two courses occupy similar terrain of an upland heath character and are only 30 minutes apart. The powers that be very kindly built a motorway in the 1960s directly connecting the two clubs!

I'm thinking of Bank Holiday weekend 5/6th May 2019

Huddersfield on Sunday afternoon and Manchester on Monday morning (or vice versa). This would enable keen members to explore other courses in the area, such as MacKenzie's Halifax, Crosland Heath, or Reddish Vale.

Even Cavendish is only an hour from Manchester on the way back down south.

Alternatively, we could do do both Manchester and Huddersfield in the one day - although that would be rather a tough walk!

Let me know what you think and I will get to work!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:56:46 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Michael Whitaker

Re: MOORLAND MEET IN MAY Manchester GC & Huddersfield GC
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
Duncan - I am usually in London during May for business. If the dates work I would be very interested in taking the train up for this outing.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »
As you'll be on my manor I guess I'd better sign up for this one  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Reader

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »
I’ll be very happy to help sort out access to Fixby Duncan.  I can already say that the Sunday afternoon might be tricky though because there’s a members’ competition on that day. Monday could work.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
I’ll be very happy to help sort out access to Fixby Duncan.  I can already say that the Sunday afternoon might be tricky though because there’s a members’ competition on that day. Monday could work.

Thanks for that James.

I’ll sound out Hopwood about the Sunday. In my experience the course is very quiet on Sunday afternoons.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:40:58 AM »

Duncan,

shame this will be into my main season as I would have come along as well. Have you thought of sounding out Ogden for the Saturday or Tuesday? I am sure it is a course that will be well received.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 01:56:28 AM »

Duncan,

shame this will be into my main season as I would have come along as well. Have you thought of sounding out Ogden for the Saturday or Tuesday? I am sure it is a course that will be well received.

I was waiting to get some feed back first but yes, a game at Ogden would be a great add-on.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 03:04:46 AM »
Very interested.

Mike, if you got the train up to Leeds I'd be happy to pick you up and drive.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
Very interested.

Thanks! This will all depend on the dates Duncan chooses. I'm not sure when we will be arriving in London. If Nancy picks the same schedule as 2018 we will arrive the last weekend in April... but, who knows!  ::)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »
Very interested.

Thanks! This will all depend on the dates Duncan chooses. I'm not sure when we will be arriving in London. If Nancy picks the same schedule as 2018 we will arrive the last weekend in April... but, who knows!  ::)

At the moment I'm working on May 5th and 6th.  Monday 6th is a public holiday in England.

James Boon

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »
Duncan,

I'm never massively keen on travelling anywhere on a bank holiday, but for decent golf and decent company I may be tempted! Count me in!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 04:47:44 AM »
As a Halifax boy this appeals enormously.

Add me to the list please.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

James Reader

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »
Are you still living in Halifax, Robin? Which club are/were you a member of?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 05:12:57 AM »
Left town long ago James. Was a member at Ryburn in my youth, which is probably why I've never been too phased about crossing holes and severe side slopes! Where are you at?
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »
As a Halifax boy this appeals enormously.

Add me to the list please.

It'll great to have you along Robin.

I will get on with firming up some dates and details

James Reader

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
Left town long ago James. Was a member at Ryburn in my youth, which is probably why I've never been too phased about crossing holes and severe side slopes! Where are you at?

I’m a member at Huddersfield/Fixby.  I was at Ogden for several years but switched 4/5 years ago - no better place to be on a nice day but I’m afraid I got a bit fed up of the normal bleak conditions up there (perhaps a reflection of the fact that I’m only an adopted Yorkshireman!).  I do hope we manage to fit in a game at Ogden at some point during the meet up, alongside Fixby and Manchester - I suspect people on this site who haven’t seen it before will really enjoy it.

I’m yet to play Ryburn.  Am I missing much?

As a complete aside, I was lucky enough to play at JCB a few weeks ago.  I really enjoyed the course in spite of some pretty terrible weather and am very much looking forward to playing it again in better conditions next spring.  (I really am sounding like a soft fair weather golfer!)

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
Duncan

Thanks for the shout but unfortunately I don't think I can manage this trip which is shame. Sounds like some really good courses and some good company.

Niall

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 06:35:14 AM »
James

You're not missing much with Ryburn. It's a modest 9-hole (18 tee) course, with plenty of internal OOB. It does have one of the most bizarre par 3's you'll ever play though. The drop shot par 3 10th plays (in sequence) across the 4th fairway, a small forest and the 2nd fairway to a basin green sunken behind a large mound. Once you're used to that kind of quirk then nothing else can shock you.

Ogden is definitely worth a visit, provided its dry overhead and preferably underfoot. It's one of the bleakest courses you'll ever play on a dreary day, but a delight in shirt sleeves. Sean Arble will hate the drop shot 17th, which is a candidate for the most vertiginous descent on any UK course. There are a bunch of very strategic holes out there, which clearly show Mackenzie's hand. I didn't really appreciate it so much in my youth, but it is a course worthy of study and wider appreciation.

Mackenzie completists may also want to drop into Bingley St. Ives, with its curious parkland / woodland / moorland layout and opening and closing par 3's. It was the big treat to play there when i was young, especially as it was a tour venue for 3 years in the early 80's, with Palmer, Trevino and Jacklin playing in the event.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
James

You're not missing much with Ryburn. It's a modest 9-hole (18 tee) course, with plenty of internal OOB. It does have one of the most bizarre par 3's you'll ever play though. The drop shot par 3 10th plays (in sequence) across the 4th fairway, a small forest and the 2nd fairway to a basin green sunken behind a large mound. Once you're used to that kind of quirk then nothing else can shock you.

Ogden is definitely worth a visit, provided its dry overhead and preferably underfoot. It's one of the bleakest courses you'll ever play on a dreary day, but a delight in shirt sleeves. Sean Arble will hate the drop shot 17th, which is a candidate for the most vertiginous descent on any UK course. There are a bunch of very strategic holes out there, which clearly show Mackenzie's hand. I didn't really appreciate it so much in my youth, but it is a course worthy of study and wider appreciation.

Mackenzie completists may also want to drop into Bingley St. Ives, with its curious parkland / woodland / moorland layout and opening and closing par 3's. It was the big treat to play there when i was young, especially as it was a tour venue for 3 years in the early 80's, with Palmer, Trevino and Jacklin playing in the event.

MacKenzie completists will be disappointed if they do, although I have always liked the course. The Dr had nothing to do with it, though the back nine was designed by his brother Charles in the 1930s.
Adam Lawrence

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »

MacKenzie completists will be disappointed if they do, although I have always liked the course. The Dr had nothing to do with it, though the back nine was designed by his brother Charles in the 1930s.

You are quite right Adam.  There is no Dr Mac involvement whatsoever at Bingley St Ives He was living in the USA by that time. It was his brother who did the work.

This doesn't stop the club somewhat misleadingly glorying in the MacKenzie connection however!

https://www.bingleystivesgc.co.uk/alister-mackenzie

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:49:03 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 12:20:27 PM »
Charles Mackenzie completists will love it, presumably?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
That said I do like Bingley St Ives
Adam Lawrence

James Reader

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
Interesting. Bingley St Ives is also one of the Alister Mackenzie Society’s member clubs, so I’d always assumed he was directly involved in the course.  Are there others reputed (or claiming) to have a connection that don’t?

James Reader

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »

Sean Arble will hate the drop shot 17th, which is a candidate for the most vertiginous descent on any UK course. There are a bunch of very strategic holes out there, which clearly show Mackenzie's hand. I didn't really appreciate it so much in my youth, but it is a course worthy of study and wider appreciation.

I took a friend who has a fear of heights to Ogden a few years ago.  He literally couldn’t tee his ball up on the 17th because of the drop in front of the tee, let alone hit a shot.  Pretty funny at the time - I seem to remember I claimed the hole for a 2 and 1 win!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »

Sean Arble will hate the drop shot 17th, which is a candidate for the most vertiginous descent on any UK course. There are a bunch of very strategic holes out there, which clearly show Mackenzie's hand. I didn't really appreciate it so much in my youth, but it is a course worthy of study and wider appreciation.

I took a friend who has a fear of heights to Ogden a few years ago.  He literally couldn’t tee his ball up on the 17th because of the drop in front of the tee, let alone hit a shot.  Pretty funny at the time - I seem to remember I claimed the hole for a 2 and 1 win!

Stephen Potter would be proud of you.  A fine example of the subtitle of his book "The Art of Winning Games without Actually Cheating "

Am watching with interest but sadly can't committ. Enjoy.[/size]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:32:06 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back