News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MClutterbuck

Scotland - 2nd trip
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »

So many people here were hugely helpful to me on our first trip and I appreciate the advise tremendously. I am sharing our completed itinerary and second trip plans in the hope it helps others.

First trip - 2017 - 8 days max - second half of May

Royal Dornoch
Brora
Castle Stuart
North Berwick
Gullane #1
Muirfield
Castle Course
Old Course
Kingsbarns

The trip was a great success. Perfect mix of courses we wanted (and great clubs and people).

Second trip plan - 2019 - 8 days max - second half of May

Western Gailes
Troon
Dundonald Links (second 18 in the afternoon if we feel like it.
Prestwick
Turnberry
Wild Card Day - Old Course lot or course en route from Turnberry to Aberdeen)
Carnoustie
Royal Aberdeen
Cruden Bay

No reservations made so far and order could change. An additional course could be added in the afternoon if we feel like it. Driving time is fine for us.

Any comments welcome!

2021: Ireland
2023: Western Scotland and North West England

David_Tepper

Re: Scotland - 2nd trip
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
Marcos -

Are you flying into Glasgow? Will you be able to fly out of Aberdeen?

If so, your trip makes sense as planned. It would be a shame to have to drive from Aberdeen back down to Glasgow to begin your trip home.

DT

Keith Phillips

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:01:55 PM »
Great trip, though the driving is a tad intense (like last time!)  You will like Dundonald, it is very solid though lacking spectacular views.  I'm out of date on the evolution of the old Arran/Kintyre course at Turnberry...is 36 an option there?  I believe you will be driving by / near Gleneagles on the way north - I've only played Kings but it alone was worth the stop

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Marcos

It’s customary for these type of threads to lead to lots of people giving advice for you to limit the amount of travel you do and I think you’ve managed to do that fairly well. The other type of advice is from folk telling you not to just play the big courses but try the lesser known/smaller courses as well. In the past I’d probably have been one of them.

I now appreciate however that when you are over you’ll want to play the best courses you can, and you will also have certain courses that you have always wanted to play, so go for it.

If however you are not stuck on those courses can I recommend Glasgow Gailes, now referred to as Gailes Links, as being better than Western even if you don’t see the sea. Hands up, I’m biased as a former member but it’s also the prevailing view of the locals.

Also in terms of the west coast courses, Prestwick St Nich’s and Irvine Bogside are both also worth a play. (Glasgow Gailes, Prest St N and Bogside are all significantly cheaper than Western and in this instance don’t be fooled in to thinking that price is an indicator of quality).

I wouldn’t say not to play Dundonald but it is a big modern course and therefore doesn’t really have the charm of say a more classic links. Still a good enough course. Also the Portland course at Royal Troon is a MacKenzie and worth seeing so if being sold a package at Troon I wouldn’t necessarily dismiss it because it’s the second course.

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »
As if choosing wasn't hard enough I could throw Murcar into the mix for the Aberdeen end of the trip.
I'd also suggest making time at Cruden Bay for the 9 hole St Olaf's course.
Finally I'd recommend Gleneagles Kings course as a mid-trip respite from links and a wonderful place to spend the day.

Whatever you decide it looks like a wonderful trip.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
Marcos -

Are you flying into Glasgow? Will you be able to fly out of Aberdeen?

If so, your trip makes sense as planned. It would be a shame to have to drive from Aberdeen back down to Glasgow to begin your trip home.

DT

Most probably Glasgow. The driving is fine for us. Short distance compared to what we drive back home.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Great trip, though the driving is a tad intense (like last time!)  You will like Dundonald, it is very solid though lacking spectacular views.  I'm out of date on the evolution of the old Arran/Kintyre course at Turnberry...is 36 an option there?  I believe you will be driving by / near Gleneagles on the way north - I've only played Kings but it alone was worth the stop

It is actually shorter than the first trip, which was fine. We enjoy it. A second 18 at Turnberry might be an option. Depending on rates. Gleneagles might be intriguing, although we all like links. Thanks!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »
Marcos

It’s customary for these type of threads to lead to lots of people giving advice for you to limit the amount of travel you do and I think you’ve managed to do that fairly well. The other type of advice is from folk telling you not to just play the big courses but try the lesser known/smaller courses as well. In the past I’d probably have been one of them.

I now appreciate however that when you are over you’ll want to play the best courses you can, and you will also have certain courses that you have always wanted to play, so go for it.

If however you are not stuck on those courses can I recommend Glasgow Gailes, now referred to as Gailes Links, as being better than Western even if you don’t see the sea. Hands up, I’m biased as a former member but it’s also the prevailing view of the locals.

Also in terms of the west coast courses, Prestwick St Nich’s and Irvine Bogside are both also worth a play. (Glasgow Gailes, Prest St N and Bogside are all significantly cheaper than Western and in this instance don’t be fooled in to thinking that price is an indicator of quality).

I wouldn’t say not to play Dundonald but it is a big modern course and therefore doesn’t really have the charm of say a more classic links. Still a good enough course. Also the Portland course at Royal Troon is a MacKenzie and worth seeing so if being sold a package at Troon I wouldn’t necessarily dismiss it because it’s the second course.

Niall

Great advise Niall, thanks!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
As if choosing wasn't hard enough I could throw Murcar into the mix for the Aberdeen end of the trip.
I'd also suggest making time at Cruden Bay for the 9 hole St Olaf's course.
Finally I'd recommend Gleneagles Kings course as a mid-trip respite from links and a wonderful place to spend the day.

Whatever you decide it looks like a wonderful trip.

Ian, great tips. Thanks a lot! Hope you are doing well.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
Marcos,
When at Cruden Bay take the opportunity to play the 9-hole St Olaf course as well as the main course.
Atb

Tim Gallant

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
Marcos,

Great that you are making it back! The itinerary looks amazing, and you'll should have a great time.

On your wild card day, if you get the Old course, or even if you don't, I would recommend Elie. It is a perfect for an evening game, and I would highly recommend it. Otherwise, you have a fantastic run of courses. Hopefully we can meet along the way for a beer!

John Emerson

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
I am ridiculously excited for my first in late May ‘19!!
May 16-Prestwick
May 17-”Prestwick Experience”
May 18-Castle Course
May 19-carnoustie
May 20-TOC
May 21-North Berwick & Musselburgh
May 22-kingsbarns
May 23-Crail
May 24-Cruden Bay
May 25-TOC

Thinking of fitting in Western Gailes for a 36 holes day on the 17th.  I think 2 36 hole days over ten days is about right.  Don’t wanna beat myself to a pulp and not enjoy it.  Either way I have been dreaming of this trip for over a decade, and we are finally doing it.  It’s much cheaper than I ever anticipated.  My buddy putting the trip together has been 2 other times so he’s got a handle on how to make it all work.  I’m sure I’ll blow the message board up with posts during and after my trip.  Sorry In advance ;)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:08:32 PM by John Emerson »
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »

One of my travel agents, an ex-Walker Cupper, recommends staying at the Holiday Inn (not Holiday Inn Express) at Glasgow airport. You can drop your rental car off the night before, and trundle your baggage across to the terminal for the flight next morning.  I would save Prestwick for the day before departure if you do the above.

Third the King's course at Gleneagles. New Course at St Andrews

Sightseeing there is Crossraguel Abbey ruins enroute to Turnberry and the Bridge over the Ayr River (Brigadoon) in Ayr.

Last time in St Andrews I stayed at Rusacks. They got me a late morning tee time on the Old Course without me asking. Too bad, 'cause that was drive day to Manchester airport.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:02:47 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Brock Lynch

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »

So many people here were hugely helpful to me on our first trip and I appreciate the advise tremendously. I am sharing our completed itinerary and second trip plans in the hope it helps others.

First trip - 2017 - 8 days max - second half of May

Royal Dornoch
Brora
Castle Stuart
North Berwick
Gullane #1
Muirfield
Castle Course
Old Course
Kingsbarns

The trip was a great success. Perfect mix of courses we wanted (and great clubs and people).

Second trip plan - 2019 - 8 days max - second half of May

Western Gailes
Troon
Dundonald Links (second 18 in the afternoon if we feel like it.
Prestwick
Turnberry
Wild Card Day - Old Course lot or course en route from Turnberry to Aberdeen)
Carnoustie
Royal Aberdeen
Cruden Bay

No reservations made so far and order could change. An additional course could be added in the afternoon if we feel like it. Driving time is fine for us.

Any comments welcome!

Looks like another great trip. It looks like Gleneagles would be a natural fit for your wild card day. We played the King's course and enjoyed it very much. Lots of blind tee shots! Exciting stuff.

Tell me what you thought of the Castle Course. I had heard so many bad or neutral comments about it. We thought it was very good and would play it again without question.

Cheers

Brock Lynch

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »
May 16-Prestwick
May 18-Castle Course
May 19-carnoustie
May 20-TOC
May 22-kingsbarns
May 23-Crail
May 24-Cruden Bay
May 25-TOC

Thinking of fitting in Western Gailes for a 36 holes day on the 17th.  I think 2 36 hole days over ten days is about right.  Don’t wanna beat myself to a pulp and not enjoy it.  Either way I have been dreaming of this trip for over a decade, and we are finally doing it.  It’s much cheaper than I ever anticipated.  My buddy putting the trip together has been 2 other times so he’s got a handle on how to make it all work.  I’m sure I’ll blow the message board up with posts during and after my trip.  Sorry In advance ;)

When you combine lots of driving with too many 36 hole days it can wear you out. On your itinerary, maybe consider Lundin Links before Crail. Great links golf holes right out of the gate! Also, while Musselburgh is definitely worth a look, consider 36 at North Berwick with lunch in between rounds in the clubhouse. We did that last summer and did not regret it at all. It was a great day.

Cheers

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 01:46:39 AM »
Good looking trip. If you do play Gleneagles which is well worth it then I would also look to play the Queens Course as well. Not so long as the Kings but still loads to recommend it. Also, though Crail has the history I would suggest Elie is the better course. Olaf's is also a good call.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 03:02:59 AM »
May 16-Prestwick
May 18-Castle Course
May 19-carnoustie
May 20-TOC
May 22-kingsbarns
May 23-Crail
May 24-Cruden Bay
May 25-TOC

When you combine lots of driving with too many 36 hole days it can wear you out. On your itinerary, maybe consider Lundin Links before Crail. Great links golf holes right out of the gate! Also, while Musselburgh is definitely worth a look, consider 36 at North Berwick with lunch in between rounds in the clubhouse. We did that last summer and did not regret it at all. It was a great day.

Cheers
Elie is a better day out than any of Crail, Lundin or the Castle.  It's also an easier walk, which with an itinerary like this might make a difference!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 08:30:57 AM »
Marcos,
When at Cruden Bay take the opportunity to play the 9-hole St Olaf course as well as the main course.
Atb

Great, thanks!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »
Marcos,

Great that you are making it back! The itinerary looks amazing, and you'll should have a great time.

On your wild card day, if you get the Old course, or even if you don't, I would recommend Elie. It is a perfect for an evening game, and I would highly recommend it. Otherwise, you have a fantastic run of courses. Hopefully we can meet along the way for a beer!

If we cross paths, we would love to invite you for a beer and dinner.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »

One of my travel agents, an ex-Walker Cupper, recommends staying at the Holiday Inn (not Holiday Inn Express) at Glasgow airport. You can drop your rental car off the night before, and trundle your baggage across to the terminal for the flight next morning.  I would save Prestwick for the day before departure if you do the above.

Third the King's course at Gleneagles. New Course at St Andrews

Sightseeing there is Crossraguel Abbey ruins enroute to Turnberry and the Bridge over the Ayr River (Brigadoon) in Ayr.

Last time in St Andrews I stayed at Rusacks. They got me a late morning tee time on the Old Course without me asking. Too bad, 'cause that was drive day to Manchester airport.

Great tips!

MClutterbuck

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »

Tell me what you thought of the Castle Course. I had heard so many bad or neutral comments about it. We thought it was very good and would play it again without question.

Cheers

Great tips, thanks.

The Castle Course: We played it in 2017, after some tinkering of greens and other features that had been criticized. Granted it lacks the natural quirks of a North Berwick, or the charm of Brora, or this history of the Old Couse, but we all thought it was a great course. We enjoyed our day out there a lot and I personally had my second best score (after TOC) of the trip.

David McIntosh

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:12 PM »
Marcos,

It’s great that you’ll be back again next year. Will Julio and Alvaro be joining you on this trip? You’ll know better than me, but it was very entertaining listening them needling each other constantly during our round!

A lot of good advice so far but as you guys like links (it’s my preference too) you may wish to stick to that rather than heading inland to Gleneagles. Don’t get me wrong, the hotel, grounds and overall experience at Gleneagles are fantastic and you wouldn’t regret going but I am of the view that the golf there is just good rather than great. If you do go though make sure you include the Queens Course.

Your itinerary includes all of the big name courses in Ayrshire and the North East so I wouldn’t change any of those but if I was to suggest other alternatives for your wild card day then you could stay an extra day in the West and play Glasgow Gailes (as Niall recommended) or try to play Panmure either before or after Carnoustie. I like it better than Murcar (also recommended earlier by Ian) but may not be quite as convenient logistically if you’re not planning on staying in and around Carnoustie when playing there. Or if you want to keep driving a bit further north past Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh looks like an excellent option - I haven’t played it yet but Ran’s review has ensured it’s on my to play list.

The other option if you’re in Fife that day and aren’t successful in the Old Course ballot would be to pick one or two of the usual suspects in the area (Lundin/Leven/Crail/Elie), which has been debated extensively on other threads. In line with a few others, I’d say Elie is the pick of that particular bunch.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:34:10 PM by David McIntosh »

MClutterbuck

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
Marcos,

It’s great that you’ll be back again next year. Will Julio and Alvaro be joining you on this trip? You’ll know better than me, but it was very entertaining listening them needling each other constantly during our round!

A lot of good advice so far but as you guys like links (it’s my preference too) you may wish to stick to that rather than heading inland to Gleneagles. Don’t get me wrong, the hotel, grounds and overall experience at Gleneagles are fantastic and you wouldn’t regret going but I am of the view that the golf there is just good rather than great. If you do go though make sure you include the Queens Course.

Your itinerary includes all of the big name courses in Ayrshire and the North East so I wouldn’t change any of those but if I was to suggest other alternatives for your wild card day then you could stay an extra day in the West and play Glasgow Gailes (as Niall recommended) or try to play Panmure either before or after Carnoustie. I like it better than Murcar (also recommended earlier by Ian) but may not be quite as convenient logistically if you’re not planning on staying in and around Carnoustie when playing there. Or if you want to keep driving a bit further north past Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh looks like an excellent option - I haven’t played it yet but Ran’s review has ensured it’s on my to play list.

The other option if you’re in Fife that day and aren’t successful in the Old Course ballot would be to pick one or two of the usual suspects in the area (Lundin/Leven/Crail/Elie), which has been debated extensively on other threads. In line with a few others, I’d say Elie is the pick of that particular bunch.

David,

Great to hear from you. Yes, same group will be coming with me and yes, Alvaro is still giving Julio a hard time for one too many lucky bounces at NBWL.

Thanks for the advise. All very helpful.

Very best,

Marcos

David McIntosh

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 03:55:44 AM »

David,

Great to hear from you. Yes, same group will be coming with me and yes, Alvaro is still giving Julio a hard time for one too many lucky bounces at NBWL.

Thanks for the advise. All very helpful.

Very best,

Marcos

Well Alvaro may have a point, especially as Julio made birdie on the 17th after hitting the wall (never seen that before!) but he did play very impressively all day on the way to his under par round.

Hopefully see you guys in May.

Best,
David

David McIntosh

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »
I am ridiculously excited for my first in late May ‘19!!May 16-PrestwickMay 17-”Prestwick Experience”May 18-Castle CourseMay 19-carnoustieMay 20-TOCMay 21-North Berwick & MusselburghMay 22-kingsbarns May 23-CrailMay 24-Cruden BayMay 25-TOCThinking of fitting in Western Gailes for a 36 holes day on the 17th.  I think 2 36 hole days over ten days is about right.  Don’t wanna beat myself to a pulp and not enjoy it.  Either way I have been dreaming of this trip for over a decade, and we are finally doing it.  It’s much cheaper than I ever anticipated.  My buddy putting the trip together has been 2 other times so he’s got a handle on how to make it all work.  I’m sure I’ll blow the message board up with posts during and after my trip.  Sorry In advance ;)

John,

Looks like a very nice schedule.

I understand why you might be looking at Western Gailes for the 17th given you’re already playing Prestwick on the 16th. Western is very good and would be a worthwhile addition to your itinerary. I played it for the first time last year and had a great day although the rough was particularly brutal in some parts (losing balls a few yards off the fairways on a couple of ocassions) so you may not want to play 36 if it’s still like that! Although Prestwick is certainly a fantastic course you’d never tire of playing so it would be win-win whatever you end up doing on those first couple of days.

I appreciate it’s your buddy arranging the trip but as you’ll be spending the majority of the trip on the East coast the only real omission I can see is Muirfield (he may already have looked into this). You probably already know all this but visitors can only play there on Tuesday and Thursday so there are limited opportunities to get a game whilst you’re over. Are you flying into Glasgow/Prestwick? If so I assume the 16th would be out and you’d only really have the 21st/23rd as possibilities. A quick look at Muirfield’s availability calendar shows there are no tee times left on either date however I’d recommend your friend keeps an eye out for a time becoming available. One probably isn’t likely to come up as they get booked well in advance but it’s a wonderful experience to play there and have lunch etc so if you can somehow get a time through a cancellation it’d be well worth the effort to reschedule to fit it in if possible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back