News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA 2019 - deposits being taken to secure places
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
Friday 6 September - AM tee times start at 8.42, PM times at 1.38
Saturday 7 September - AM times from 9am, PM times from 2.30
Sunday 8 September - tee times start at 10.02
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2019, 06:27:01 PM »
Just to be sure there is no confusion...

Friday = Goswick
Saturday = Dunstanburgh
Sunday = Goswick
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2019, 02:09:40 AM »
Just to be sure there is no confusion...

Friday = Goswick
Saturday = Dunstanburgh
Sunday = Goswick
Yes.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
Mark,[size=78%]I had been so looking forward to the BUDA and an after tour of East Lothian and Fife but I will have to withdraw. I have been dealing with a neck issue that I am hoping another injection may get me back on the course again. I however cannot schedule the injection until August 26 with outcome unknown. Kate and I still have a room at the [/size]
Victoria Hotel in Bamburgh if any one is interested, we will keep the room until months end in case anyone wants it. Until next year, Jay
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2019, 04:21:50 PM »
Jay,

Really sorry to hear that, and I hope the injection does the business.  I'd be happy to keep the place open for you but I imagine flights need more certainty?

Mark

Mark Pearce

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
With BUDA little more than a month away, a reminder of Ran's profile of Goswick:  https://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/goswick-golf-club/ which sneaks into the 147 Custodians at 147.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »
With BUDA little more than a month away,

.. .and no volunteers yet been proposed (press ganged) for Captaincy?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2019, 05:48:02 PM »
With BUDA little more than a month away,

.. .and no volunteers yet been proposed (press ganged) for Captaincy?

...nicely volunteered, Muldoon!
 ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2019, 03:43:58 AM »
Using the crack GCA.com search engine has failed to turn up the off Buda games thread.  Is there a game up for Brancepeth on Wednesday the 4th?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Bryan Izatt

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
Is there something like a list of participants?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »
I guess not :)

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2019, 07:04:17 AM »
Is there something like a list of participants?

Ulrich
Reply 84, Ulrich, updated to show a couple of changes.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »
A couple of points, now that BUDA is less than 2 weeks away.

I've had one player ask if I can book an electric trolley for him.  I can't make individual enquiries like this but, if there are a number interested in an electric trolley I can call and see if I can reserve a number.

Second, after issues at past BUDAs, I (with help from Tony) will collect all remaining golf fees in cash and pay the clubs.  Please ensure that you have enough cash each day to pay the balance.  Your deposit clears (and more) the first day, so we won't need to do this until the Friday evening, when we'll collect for the Saturday.

Similarly, with the dinner, there are two options.  Break down into individual tables and pay by table or have everyone just split the bill.  We can't be expected to adjust individuals contributions according to what they ate and we certainly can't have a repeat of Ireland where one individual had to take it upon himself to cover a £300 surcharge after "everyone had paid".  Happy to listen to preferences on this.

Finally, numbers are great.  It would be really useful to get an idea in advance, how many people are only wanting to play 18 a day on the Friday and Saturday and, if so, whether you have a preference for mornings or afternoons.  I'm going to suggest that we adjust the format slightly this year and give groups the option of playing four balls or foursomes (alternate shot) in the afternoon.  Obviously anyone only playing the afternoon is likely to want to play in a four ball.  Groups playing foursomes will go out first.

More updates as the match approaches....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
As far as attendees go, those I currently have confirmed are: Bill Gayne, Bob Montle, Bryan Izzatt, Chris Handy, Conrad Gamble, Dave Herrick, Dean DiBerardino, Duncan Cheslett, Giles Payne, Jason Topp, Jay Mickle, Jerry Kluger, John Mayhugh, Lou Duran, Mark Pearce, Marty Bonnar, Michael Graham, Mike Kain, Mike Malone, Mike Whitaker, Nancy Bonnar, Niall Carlton, Paul Graham, Sean Arble, Tony Muldoon, Ulrich Mayring, Steve Wilson, Sean Walsh, Iain Greenshields.

As mentioned before, we do have a waiting list, so anyone no longer planning to attend, please let me know asap!
Mark - there are 29 on this list... how does that work? If you could reserve one additional tee time per course we could accept three from your waiting list.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
Mark,
is the dinner in any way tied to you as the organisers? I was under the impression that you would simply reserve some tables and then whatever is consumed is a thing between the guest and the restaurant. If indeed "everyone has paid", but the restaurant is still down, then I'm afraid that is not necessarily one of us cheating. If they are not able to say "here is an unpaid bill and it has a sirloin steak, two pints and a coffee and it was the bloke on table 9", then that is mismanagement on their part.
If they can produce an unpaid bill, it should be no problem whatsoever to assign it to one of our group. But if all they can say is that the kitchen cooked more steaks than were accounted for at the cashier, then who knows where those steaks went! The waiters have to keep tabs on who orders what and the guest's responsibility is to keep his receipt in order to prove that he already paid.
I can assure you that on a mountain hut in Bavaria at 6000 feet with no access roads, one cook, two waiters and 200 hungry and thirsty climbers lying on the meadow in front of the hut - they will not be down at the end of the day!
That being said, of course I'll defer to any decisions by the.. err... organisers that be :)

Ulrich

Bob Montle

« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
1)  I will only manage 18 holes each day!
2)  Payments - no problem
3)  Dinner - My wife and I won't be able to attend.
4)  Handicap - I'm currently 17.6 (I think).  To whom do I send the documentation?

It's getting closer and my excitement is growing!
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

John Mayhugh

« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »
Ulrich,I don't think anyone would intentionally underpay or skip out on their bill. The problem is that when you have a very large group on a single bill, it can be confusing both determining if the bill was correct and with collecting funds. Certainly reviewing the bill and collecting funds is easier if fewer people are on a bill. Easier still when the cost is divided by the number of people.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
Hi John,

I absolutely agree. That's why sensible restaurants put everyone in a larger group on his/her own bill. If they insist on putting everything on one bill or one bill per table and leave it up to the guests to do the bookkeeping, then IMHO they are asking for problems. Guests are prone to get drunk and lose their marbles - not you or me of course, but I have seen that! :)

Ulrich

John Mayhugh

« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2019, 02:39:39 PM »
Ulrich,
In the US, most places resist having separate bills when the group grows beyond 6. Not sure what's typical in Northumberland.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »
How do you do it in the US if you have a business lunch and everyone needs to have his own bill to deduct it via his personal tax statement or declare it as a business expense with his accounting department?

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
Ulrich,

In Belmullet, the restaurant wanted the group to pay in one go.  Fair enough, that's how it was booked.  When it came to time to pay, we divided it by the number of diners and asked people to pay that much.  By the time people had made their own deductions for "not having a main course" or "I wasn't drinking" we were £300 short.  I'm not that generous, I'm afraid.  Of course, if you'd like to organise the dinner, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the restaurant.  Otherwise, those are the options unless you or someone else has a better (and easier to implement) idea.

Mark

Mark Pearce

« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
As far as attendees go, those I currently have confirmed are: Bill Gayne, Bob Montle, Bryan Izzatt, Chris Handy, Conrad Gamble, Dave Herrick, Dean DiBerardino, Duncan Cheslett, Giles Payne, Jason Topp, Jay Mickle, Jerry Kluger, John Mayhugh, Lou Duran, Mark Pearce, Marty Bonnar, Michael Graham, Mike Kain, Mike Malone, Mike Whitaker, Nancy Bonnar, Niall Carlton, Paul Graham, Sean Arble, Tony Muldoon, Ulrich Mayring, Steve Wilson, Sean Walsh, Iain Greenshields.

As mentioned before, we do have a waiting list, so anyone no longer planning to attend, please let me know asap!
Mark - there are 29 on this list... how does that work? If you could reserve one additional tee time per course we could accept three from your waiting list.
Mike,

Experience suggests that there will never be a time when all participants play.  And I suspect that no-one on the waiting list could make plans this late.  As it is, we're relying on the goodwill of the clubs to squeeze 7 start times into the space of 6, if we need to, so I'm mot looking for more players, thanks.

I'll put you down for 36 on the Friday and Saturday, by the way, unless told otherwise!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
Only 18s for me and La Nancy please!
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »

Mike,

Experience suggests that there will never be a time when all participants play.  And I suspect that no-one on the waiting list could make plans this late.  As it is, we're relying on the goodwill of the clubs to squeeze 7 start times into the space of 6, if we need to, so I'm mot looking for more players, thanks.

I'll put you down for 36 on the Friday and Saturday, by the way, unless told otherwise!
Mark - sorry to interject. I had promised myself to stay out of the organizational fray this year, but it seems I just couldn't help myself.  ::) You are doing a fabulous job of organizing this event... I'll shut-up and let you work your magic.
As for 36 on Friday & Saturday... I'm hopeful that one of those rounds each day will be foursomes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back