News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean DiBerardino

Re: BUDA 2019 - deposits being taken to secure places
« Reply #250 on: September 01, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »
Dean,

I have suggested elsewhere that we might congregate in the Lord Crewe in Bamburgh on Thursday evening.

Mark

Sounds great! Thanks Mark.

John Cowden

« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2019, 12:31:29 AM »
CC and I are also staying in Sea Houses Friday night.  Is there anything on, and what is the preferred local, assuming there is one?  Cheers.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
CC and I are also staying in Sea Houses Friday night.  Is there anything on, and what is the preferred local, assuming there is one?  Cheers.
Usually there's a consensus as to a venue for the evening.  I suspect it'll be one of the Bamburgh pubs but plenty of time to discuss on Friday!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2019, 02:50:11 AM »
Dean,

I have suggested elsewhere that we might congregate in the Lord Crewe in Bamburgh on Thursday evening.

Mark

We’ve adjusted plans and will now be arriving tomorrow evening. See you in the Lord Crewe. Mine’s a large Shiraz!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2019, 02:19:45 AM »
TRAVEL UPDATE

Good to see the teams arriving and practicing hard :) ,

Note. The A1 is being resurfaced from 8pm each evening just south of Berwick on Tweed. Diversions are in place.

It's not a huge issue but for those planning to arrive in the area tonight you might want to arrive before 8. The diversions take you inland on some twisting unlit roads.

...now back to the golf...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2019, 03:03:37 AM »
Will we able to use the changing rooms at Goswick tomorrow morning? I take it we should be there around 8:30 AM for those going out later?

cheers,

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:05:51 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Ulrich, it's a friendly club.  Assume normal   GB&I visitors rules apply. 

So my guess is Yes.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
Great, thanks. The B&B we're staying at does not do breakfast before 8:15 AM though. And it's about 45 minutes from the course. What is our tee time window for the group?

Ulrich

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
Ah, never mind guys, I'll just pop by the Lord Crewe tonight and get it from the horse's mouth :)

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »
In the absence of captains (and we need to appoint captains tomorrow), a random number generator expertly operated by Mike Whitaker (representing the Rest of The World) and overseen by Bryan Izzat (representing Her Majesty's Commonwealth) has selected the following fourball matches for the morning:

Mike Whittaker / Dean DiBerardino v Niall Carlton / Mike Graham
Mike Kain / John Mayhugh v Mark Pearce / Brian Izzat
Lou Duran / Bob Montle v Conrad Gamble / Martin Bonnar
Jason Topp / Ulrich Mayring v Nancy Bonnar / Tony Muldoon
Dave Herrick / Bill Gayne v Iain Greenshields / Paul Graham
Mike Malone / Steve Wilson v Sean Walsh / James Boon
The afternoon matches will be announced at lunchtime.  Those not playing in the morning will play fourballs in the afternoon, those who played in the morning will play foursomes.
A few reminders, please. 
  • We are being welcomed by these clubs.  Goswick have allowed us to go out before a party at 9.30, meaning we are playing in slots usually reserved for members.  Let's at all times respect our hosts.
  • Be on time.  If we are late it throws things out for the club and their members and other visitors.
  • Play quickly.  If you are out of a hole, pick up.  Play ready golf.  Don't chat when you should be playing, talk as you walk to your ball.
  • As in most of the UK, I understand the rough at Goswick is thick this year.  We'll lose some balls.  Let's not spend too long looking for them!
  • You should always be just behind the group in front.  If you lose ground, speed up and catch up.
  • Playing foursomes, those not playing the shot should, where possible, walk ahead.
As has been noted before, whilst there's lots of talk on here about fast play, the reality is that previous BUDAs have, at times, seen poor pace of play.  I will be embarrassed if that's repeated.

Please have plenty of cash to pay for the remaining golf at lunchtime.

There will be soup and sandwiches for lunch.

Please be at Goswick by 8.20. 

The forecast is good (if a little breezy) and my sources tell me Goswick is in great condition.  Let the fun begin!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:21:33 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

mike_malone

« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
After an incredible 3 1/2 wandering I finally made it to Bamburgh.
Google maps says over an hour to the course. Correct?
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
No.  That's showing because, at night, the A1 is closed.  It should be open in the morning.  Allow 30 minutes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2019, 11:46:53 PM »
Wishing all the Buda Cup gang a wonderful gathering and good times. 8) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2019, 01:26:10 AM »
Great photos and times being had, kudos to Mark and others making this happen. Want to make one in the future.  Enjoy each other and the golf will follow.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
I would like to thank all participants and of course the organisers for making this another great Buda event. Today was the highlight for me, I don't think I ever played in nicer weather than this morning on the Goswick Links. Hope to see everyone next year at possibly the only course, where the sheep are trained not to step on the greens (and they don't - I observed it with my own eyes).

Ulrich

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2019, 05:08:17 AM »
Buda 2019 is now over and a great time was had by all. Going into the Sunday singles matches the Commlnwealth team led 16 - 8 but as captain of the world team I told my mates not to give up as I had a feeling about our chances to come out on top. Jason Topp and I  won our matches against Mark and Conrad and earlier matches had also come out  in favor of the world.  So as Conrad and Mark squirmed as more matches came in favoring my lads.  But in the end we did win 8 matches and halve 2 others but the final result was Commonwealth 20 - World 17.  The loss was taken well but there was a clear feeling that revenge will be had in 2020. :)

mike_malone

« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2019, 01:48:04 PM »
Praise to Mark for selecting two wonderful English courses that I would never experience and a charming center for our stay in Bamburgh.
AKA Mayday

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
What an absolutely bloody brilliant weekend. Nancy and I had a ball. Just some great company, food, wine and even some decent-ish golf in amongst. Thanks to my partners and opponents. Well played.
Apologies to anyone whose hand I missed shaking. I think I missed the Cowdens and maybe one or two more. Next time!
Goswick was a total re-revelation. I last played it about thirty years ago on a boys weekend and had completely forgotten how good - and quirky! - it is. Just hole after hole of fun over and around some utterly perfect Linksland. Maybe one ho-hum hole at the 9th, but I believe the Club are looking at it.
Dunstanburgh, whilst perhaps not in the same heady company as Goswick land-wise, had a couple of fantastic runs of holes with the cracking, short par 3 13th, playing towards the Draculesque castle ruins, a wonderful end stop at the farthest point.
Well done, the organisers. Roll on BUDA 2020!
Cheers,
F.

Jason Topp

« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2019, 06:30:25 PM »
I need a photo posting lesson.  I just uploaded some on flickr

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:33:00 PM by Jason Topp »

Michael Graham

« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2019, 04:32:49 AM »
A big thanks to Mark for organising this year. Always fun to catch up with everyone and to meet some new faces. The non-golf highlight of the weekend was Whitty's face when the waitress arrived with the second tier of his seafood platter.

Roll on Kington next year (and perhaps Machrihanish in 2021  ;) )

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »
A big thanks to Mark for organising this year.

+1

Nice shorts weather too!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »

+1

Nice shorts weather too!

I’m to blame for Sunday’s vision of Beau Brummell loveliness as I guilted Pearce into donning the shorts.
Apologies to all.
F.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »

+1

Nice shorts weather too!

I’m to blame for Sunday’s vision of Beau Brummell loveliness as I guilted Pearce into donning the shorts.
Apologies to all.
F.

Wasn't me that said "Pearce does love a colour ...or two."

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2019, 02:22:34 AM »
Gents,

From the handful of 3 star hotels in Bamburgh, is there one that clearly stands above the others?

Thanks,
Ally

Sean_A

« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2019, 05:02:26 AM »
Ally

I don't know the stars, but Mizen Head is the best hotel I know in Bamburgh, though its really a restaurant with rooms, but a much more upscale version of this compared to the Lord Crewe.

Victoria is slightly better than Sunningdale, but not enough to ignore whichever is cheaper on the day.

There is also Links Hotel in Seahouses, never stayed there though. Seahouses is much less quaint compared to Bamburgh, but it has more dining options.

Make sure to book early because prices go up dramatically in the area anytime near summer.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:06:12 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back