News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: BUDA 2019 - deposits being taken to secure places
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »

Ulrich,

there is a game where for every hole you are down you get an extra shot. Almost always guarantees the match going down the last.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2019, 05:53:16 PM »
Yes, but I think that's too extreme, if it doesn't really matter how you play the first 17 holes.

The problem with, say, a 15 handicap playing a 5 under the Sunningdale rules would be, if the 15 claws his way back to 1 down, then he has to play the next hole straight-up. It will be very hard for him to get past that barrier and even if he manages to pull even, he will quickly go one down again. Getting ahead and staying ahead means he can't lose any holes while playing straight-up.

But I can see the merits of the system for a 15 playing a 10.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
Ulrich - quit trying to over-engineer this handicap thing. There is no system that will ever be 100% fair to everyone under every scenario. Sunningdale Rules work just as they are... and have for a LONG time. Just accept them and stop trying to “create a better mousetrap.” If they could have been improved it would have happened ages ago!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
Ulrich - quit trying to over-engineer this handicap thing. There is no system that will ever be 100% fair to everyone under every scenario. Sunningdale Rules work just as they are... and have for a LONG time. Just accept them and stop trying to “create a better mousetrap.” If they could have been improved it would have happened ages ago!

Amen!  No mas!

Just take my word for it, for the Yanks, convert our index to the handicap from the tees we're playing and add two strokes (use 125 as the slope if the course has not been rated).  If we're up by more than 2 holes at the turn, bump it up a stroke so we can get the match in under four hours and not be late for the social hour.  Sounds fair, right?

Niall C

« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2019, 04:59:50 AM »

Ulrich,

there is a game where for every hole you are down you get an extra shot. Almost always guarantees the match going down the last.

In that case what's the point of playing 18 holes ? I've played matches with those sort of rules that Mike is advocating and it is the least interesting game I can imagine. I'd rather play against someone with a false handicap or who is having one of those rare days when everything goes right and you end up losing badly. At least that way you can gain some sort of satisfaction in putting up as good a fight as you can. Anything other than that and you may as well just enjoy the golf and the chat and don't even bother about scoring.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »

Ulrich,

In that case what's the point of playing 18 holes ?

Niall

Maybe just for the fun of it Niall. Just to say I was not advocating playing it just that it existed.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
Having not attended a BUDA previously, are we playing for 1000£ or more?
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »
Having not attended a BUDA previously, are we playing for 1000£ or more?
More or less.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mike_malone

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »
 If we are playing for 1000 pounds then I’m rooting for a Brexit meltdown.
AKA Mayday

Jason Topp

« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
If you really want to do this correctly, you should estimate a slope rating for the course and then convert USGA indexes to a course handicap.  Here is a table of unofficial slope ratings for Scottish Links courses created by the guy who invented the system:

http://www.popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html

Here are a few examples of slope ratings:

Elie - 112
Levin - 119
Gullane 1 - 120
Gullane 2 - 120
New - 126
Lundin - 129
Old - 129
Carnoustie - 145

6500 yard courses (like Goswick) generally range from 120-130 and 6000 yard courses (like [/size]Dunstanburgh)[/color][/size] generally range from 110-120

My suggestion - assume a 120 slope for every match and apply this table to the US Handicap indexes:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicap-calculator.html?index=12.4&rating=120

It will not be perfect but will provide an estimate people familiar with the USGA system will recognize.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »
I've been to six Buda events: Kent, Wales, Holland, Silloth, Carne, & the Highlands. I don't remember the results more than a couple of matches that I played in. I only remember the final result (which side won) of one of the Cups, and that was because I was captain. People reading this thread might think that this is an uptight event, but for the most part it's a bunch of people out to have fun.

The handicap alignment may be good for some debate, but it's all in good fun and in the end really doesn't make much difference.

I continue to marvel at what a great lineup of courses we have managed to play and appreciate the hard work that has gone into coordinating everything.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »
It will not be perfect but will provide an estimate people familiar with the USGA system will recognize.

Ok, I can live with the 120, but still need the two visitor strokes on top of that.  And I also think that an extra stroke if I go 2 up into the back 9 would incentivize good play in addition to being sporting. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2019, 05:40:56 PM »

The handicap alignment may be good for some debate, but it's all in good fun and in the end really doesn't make much difference.

I continue to marvel at what a great lineup of courses we have managed to play and appreciate the hard work that has gone into coordinating everything.

+1
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2019, 07:03:17 PM »
In the lead-up to Buda I am pondering to play Brancepeth Castle. Is there anyone else interested? I am thinking Wednesday the 4th of September.

cheers,

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2019, 02:30:37 AM »
In the lead-up to Buda I am pondering to play Brancepeth Castle. Is there anyone else interested? I am thinking Wednesday the 4th of September.

cheers,

Ulrich
Ulrich,

I was planning on suggesting a day playing Brancepeth and then Northumberland, both Colt designs.  The Wednesday would work well, as Thursday has Bamburgh Castle written all over it! 

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2019, 02:58:01 AM »
I might be interested in Thursday / Bamburgh Castle as well, provided it is in the afternoon. The morning is likely reserved for Durham Cathedral.

Similarly, on the Wednesday I'm starting in York, which would put Brancepeth Castle in the afternoon as well.

Anyhow, let's gauge interest and then see what transpires.

cheers,

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2019, 07:16:14 AM »
I had in mind an early evening game at Bamburgh, as most people seem to be staying there or in Seahouses, which is a 5 minute drive.  Should be able to dig up a member or two to host at Bamburgh.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
Four of us are at North Berwick for the day on Thursday. Probably will try to play Bamburgh Castle on Sunday afternoon post-Buda.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »
Mark as I'm seeing you next week perhaps we can chat this over and then start a new thread?.

I have loose plans to host at NB prior to the Buda and then hang on and play Bamburgh and at least one 9 holer

We can offer help and guidance to all if we work this up together?

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
I had in mind an early evening game at Bamburgh, as most people seem to be staying there or in Seahouses, which is a 5 minute drive.  Should be able to dig up a member or two to host at Bamburgh.
I would be very interested in that!

Ulrich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Tony,

Definitely.

Mark

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:17 PM »
Just chiming in here apropos of nothing, that I wish I could be part of this, it looks like a great choice of venue, but, alas, my work and family life have been keeping me from committing to future events, the last few years. Hopefully I can remedy this in 2020.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »
We miss you, Lloyd. I remember a great match Bill McBride and I had versus you and your manager at Elie. Great fun!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2019, 11:32:13 PM »
We miss you, Lloyd. I remember a great match Bill McBride and I had versus you and your manager at Elie. Great fun!
I think I drove the second and then 3 putted ;) I miss you'all. I will be back, I hope.

John Cowden

« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »
Is there a Buda schedule available?   I’m aware of dinner at Potted Lobster Saturday 7th Sept, but would appreciate Buda golf details.  Connie and I drive down from Edinburgh Friday 6th Sept. and would certainly enjoy a round that afternoon.  Is there golf on the schedule that day?  And golf on Saturday and Sunday—are there any details available? 

If anybody is interested, we have a two ball booked at Goswick on Monday, 9th Sept. at 1015 that we will cancel unless someone here would like to take it over for us. 

Looking forward...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back