News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

BUDA 2019 - deposits being taken to secure places
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:36:26 AM »
I'm delighted to announce that Berwick upon Tweed Golf Club (Goswick) and Dunstanburgh Castle GC will host the 2019 BUDA Cup matches on 6-8 September 2019. 

Locally there is other interesting golf to be found at Bamburgh Castle (an original Doak dumb blonde, with views to make Cypress Point look ordinary) and Alnmouth Village (profiled by Sean A).  I'll look to arrange a game at The Northumberland and/or Brancepeth Castle for anyone interested and East Lothian, with its numerous great options (NBWL, Dunbar, Muirfield, Renaissance, Kilspindie etc) is a short drive North.

We'll be at Goswick on Friday 6th September and Sunday 8th and at Dunstanburgh on 7 September.  Prices will be very reasonable - on the Friday, 36 holes with soup and sandwiches will be £65, on the Saturday a bacon roll, 36 holes and soup will be £46 and on the Sunday 18 holes with soup and sandwiches will be £35.  So 5 rounds with lunch for under £150.

On Saturday 7th September I have reserved The Potted Lobster (https://www.thepottedlobsterbamburgh.co.uk/) for dinner.  As you'd hope on the coast, it's big on seafood but there are red meat options!
Both courses tell me they are very busy (particularly Goswick on the Friday), and I have booked for 24 golfers at both.  Our ability to add to the 24 may be limited.  I'd like to take deposits to secure places now, please.  I think £100 makes sense as a deposit level.  UK BUDAites contact me for details to send the deposit, in the US, John Mayhugh has agreed to collect deposits, so get in touch with him to pay (or, if you can transfer sterling to a UK account, you can just pay me).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:56:15 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

Re: BUDA 2019 - Goswick and Dunstanburgh Castle 6-8 September
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:46:27 AM »

Looks like being a great event and worthy of following the Highland event. Good call Mark.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:03:36 AM »
Fantastic news, thanks for early heads up.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »
I love Dunstanburgh. Just a really classic, straightforward Braid links, no pretentions.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
Looks great and the timing is perfect for Josie and me.  Vis a vis the accommodations, is there a obligatory links course(s) nearby caravan site?

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:54:29 AM »
Pencil me and the Mrs in too. (My tendinitis MUST have gone by then, shurely!)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 07:14:58 AM »
Looks great and the timing is perfect for Josie and me.  Vis a vis the accommodations, is there a obligatory links course(s) nearby caravan site?

Rich
Indeed, there's a campsite and caravan site at Goswick.  I think there are caravans at Dunstanburgh, too!  Lots of cheap pre-fab holiday homes for rent at Bamburgh, too.  I like Bamburgh as a venue for accommodation as it has hotels, bars, a couple of places to eat and plenty of options with rental properties.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
Thanks for organizing and providing info so early - really helps with the planning.
Not surprised, but Muirfield doesn't seem to have anything available.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
Well done Mark, I'm in.

Niall

Neil White

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
Put me down for a spot please Mark.

Neil.
Courses played 2020 - ................!

Michael Graham

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »
Mark,

Sounds great. Can you put me and my brother Paul down for a couple of spots.

Michael

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
Mark -

Thanks for taking the lead and putting this together so soon. Well done.

DT
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:42:36 AM by David_Tepper »

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »
Looks fantastic.  I am going to try and make it.   It has been too long.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
Mark

Very fine.  I would like to play if you are considering 18 hole a day guys.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Well done Mark.
Self plus one big son keen to participate.
atb

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:29:41 PM by David_Tepper »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »
I’m definitely in, Mark.

Shame none of us will be able to attend the Walker Cup at Hoylake as it’s the exact same dates! I hope our press coverage doesn’t suffer as a result of the conflict.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brian Finn

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
This looks like a great event.  If only I had more time off...

I'll be staying in North Berwick the following week.  We had already planned to drive down to Goswick, but I wasn't familiar with Dunstanburgh Castle.  Looks like we may need to visit there as well!

If any BUDA participants are going to be in East Lothian the week after, please get in touch.  I am already planning to meet up with some other GCA guys.  It would be great to see even more.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:37:23 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 01:38:47 PM »
Brian - I will definitely be around for a while. Look forward to seeing you over there!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
Sounds good to me, close to home and great courses. Look forward to seeing some of you at North Berwick too.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
Even though my selection for the Walker Cup is unlikely, I have a prior commitment to Hoylake that weekend. Which is a real shame as this is a fabulous pair of venues, offering some of the best value in British golf. My opinion of Goswick goes up every time I go back, and there is a real sense of remoteness there unmatched almost anywhere else in English golf, save perhaps Brancaster. Dunstanburgh is a super, unpretentious links with about a dozen really interesting holes and half a dozen moderate ones. The latter can be very slow on a Saturday, when lots of visitors take advantage of the incredible green fee, but if you pace yourselves, you'll have a blast. And the whole of coastal Northumberland is simply one of the most gorgeous, uncrowded, historically interesting spots in the whole of the UK. Enjoy!

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »
Mark,

Great work and thanks for organising.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to attend on those dates. Every September (apart from when Buda occasionally shifts month) I have 2 golf trips, Buda is one, the other is an Inter Regional architects tournament attended by architects from all over GB&I (we've even had a USA team these past couple of years!)

Its always been on my mind that at some point the 2 trips would clash, so it had to happen sooner or later and this looks to be it. I'd find it very difficult to miss Buda, especially at Goswick which I'm really keen to see. But I'd also find it very difficult to miss the Inter Regional tournament, especially as I Captain the side and we will also be hosting the tournament the following year.

The Inter Regional tournament is 8 and 9 Sept in Northern Ireland next year. One possibility could be to play the first day of Buda only, before travelling to Northern Ireland, but I understand how awkward it would be to have someone attend for just one day...

Ben Stephens is in the same boat as me with this unfortunately...

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:47:43 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Cowden

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
Now here’s a delightful coincidence as my wife and I arrive in EDI the day before.  I may have to adjust a couple tee times already on the books, but it would be a treat to see all of you in that very special part of the U.K.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
It will be tough to wait that long but I am in.

John Cowden

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
Brian, Michael and all, CC and I have a two ball time at North Berwick at 12.15 that Monday, October 9.   Don’t know about the rest of the day’s tee sheet, but we’ll be in the bar overlooking 18 at the end of our round.  See you then, and likely before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back