News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Play Westward Ho! this Friday (October 19 2018)
« on: October 16, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »
A small group, consisting of myself, Sean Arble, Niall Carlton. Adam Lawrence and Thomas Dai have two tee times booked from 1:30pm at Royal North Devon this coming Friday, October 19. Due to a couple of late withdrawals, we have up to 3 spaces available to play.

PM me if you would like to join us.

The weather looks set fair and it may be the last opportunity to play the course before it undergoes the Mackenzie & Ebert redesign over the winter.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:31:16 PM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Play Westward Ho! this Friday (October 19 2018)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:13:22 AM »
That went down well...
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »
I'm out of the country, but do want to get back there before the changes. Any idea when they are starting work Robin?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:00:47 AM »
Clyde, you're my thread saviour!

Allegedly, this winter coming. Hence the reason why we're going now. We're meeting with the Club Manager, so if we find out the timeline i'll post it here.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
For those who may be unaware of the RND/WHo! situation/changes here are some details and comments -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66137.0.html

Atb

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Robin

Played Westward Ho last month. It is like playing golf 100 years ago and no real definition which I like however it does make it harder to line up shots in some respects

Hole 7 is a very good hole with a great green to hit to at it abuts dunes on the left hand side - shame they are changing this hole dramatically - the new hole looks rather flat and the bulrushes (argh!!) come more into play

Hole 8 is a strong par 3 however it is rather low level which is susceptible to flooding so it will not be that much missed IMO

Hole 9 is a good short par 5 which plays to an awesome smallish green with loads of slopes and humps - this should be left untouched. M+E new 9th seems to be a longer version of the 10th doglegging right with drive over bulrushes

I would not even dare touch the 9th green slopes however as a compromise is expand it both at the front and the back with the shaping as it is which will provide for more pin positions and able to take a long iron and wood approach as opposed to a short iron

I thought the 10th green is far too close to the direction of play off the 6th green and should be located further away from the 6th playing area (fairway or rough)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
RND is such a special place. I had an overseas membership for years and played it five pr six times when I was there. I played 63 holes thereon one windy drizzly day when I had the course to myself. I had just turned 60 and wanted to walk 60 holes. It is a great place.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David McIntosh

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »
Robin,

I’m sorry that I won’t be able to make it to Westward Ho! I really would have loved to have joined you and the guys to see the course before the changes are made however I’m just back from a holiday which counts me out unfortunately.

I’m hoping there’s a temporary reprieve and the changes aren’t due until next year or later which might give me a chance to see the existing holes so will be interested to see if the Club Manager is able to shed some more light on the anticipated timings.

Enjoy your game!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
I'm on an other continent.  Enjoy!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
We had the most perfect weather possible today with which to enjoy RND. Warm, shirtsleeve weather in mid October. God bless global warming.

Chatting with the General Manager afterwards, the redesign work shall commence in May 2019 and they shall give it a couple of full seasons before integrating the new holes into the layout. So, there are still 3 years left to play the original course...storms permitting. We were a bit premature for observing the last rites, but when the weather behaves this well then who cares.

A forensic examination of the course reveals that it is really only the 8th hole that necessitates an immediate change. The storm damage here is considerable, with the original tee utterly destroyed. The sorry remnants of the irrigation system flop pathetically out of the dunes with the dismembered stumps of pipework soaking up daylight they were never meant to see.

The good news is that the 9th green shall not be altered in any way.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »

That's great news, if it holds up.  [Sometimes clubs tell you what you want to hear.] 

I did write a note to them a few months back pointing out how much I admired the green, and that I hoped it would survive.  I'd still love to make a survey of it, though if I ever employed it for one of my own designs, the client would probably scream bloody murder.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 06:39:22 PM »
It's just possible that the earlier thread on this subject had some influence. It seems that the rational decision has been to tinker with the approach hazards (specifically the three cross bunkers) and leave the green alone. We all applauded this outcome.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »

That's great news, if it holds up.  [Sometimes clubs tell you what you want to hear.] 

I did write a note to them a few months back pointing out how much I admired the green, and that I hoped it would survive.  I'd still love to make a survey of it, though if I ever employed it for one of my own designs, the client would probably scream bloody murder.

This is wonderful news. It is one of the best short par fives in the country. As soon as I teed off I began to look forward to the hole.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:06:03 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:49 AM »
FWIW my recollection with speaking to the Club Manager was that the green would be extended back left but in other respects the existing green contours would be left intact. The other changes were the bunkers to the front with the left one moved further left (at least that's what I recall).

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
For the sake of posterity here are some round the clock/green photos of the 9th green taken during the recent GCA'ers visit.

Enjoy! :)
atb

David McIntosh

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »
I wasn’t able to make this trip in October unfortunately and I’m now looking at a heading down to Devon/Cornwall for a long (4 day) weekend in October 2019 to take in Westward Ho!, both Saunton courses, St Enodoc, Trevose and (probably) Perranporth.

I’m provisionally looking at the first weekend in October 2019 (4th-7th) and, given the flight timetables, it seems like flying into Bristol and playing the Cornwall courses first will be the best and most flexible option.

I’ll be booking my golf in the next week or so but thought I’d post this in case anyone who missed the recent trip (or even if those who attended were keen to replay!) wanted to meet up for a game or two along the way or perhaps specifically just to see RND before the existing holes are phased out. If anybody is interested in joining it would be great to get a round and catch up.

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 08:41:25 AM »
David

Unfortunately I've already got other commitments for next year so can't do it but I'm sure you will have a great time. As a NB member I'm sure you will appreciate the history and charm of WH.

Niall

David McIntosh

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
Niall,

No worries, I didn’t immediately think it’d be one for you given the distance from us and because you were only just down there.

I’m sure it will be a great trip and really looking forward to it. It was a shame I couldn’t join you, Robin and the others in October but it just wasn’t possible due to the dates it landed on.

I’m keen to see all of the courses on my schedule but the main two probably are WH!, for exactly the reasons you state, and St Enodoc, because I’ve never heard anything but glowing praise for the place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back