News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: Unsung courses in your state that need more exposure
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »
I don't know whether others would agree with me but there is a course in Pittsboro, NC called Chapel Ridge that claims to be a Fred Couples design but I haven't been able to determine who did the actual design and I really like it.  It has a great variety of holes with risk/reward par 5s, 2 drivable par 4s for the longer hitters, and a really good group of 4 par 3s.  The course is on some very hilly property and makes the most of it yet it seems to fit very well within the land.  Unfortunately it was built just as the economy was crashing so it has always beens operated on a shoestring as it was supposed to be part of a housing development which never really took off.  If they had a decent maintenance budget and converted the bent grass greens over to Bermuda, it would be really good. Everyone I have taken there was really impressed with the course and the great variety of holes.
Jerry,

Chapel Ridge is one of my favorite layouts in the Triangle, and it hasn't always been in bad condition.  (I think you meant that they should convert to bermuda; they still have bent grass greens.)  The course gets plenty of play, or at least it used to; lots of people used to come from Raleigh and Greensboro to play, and the housing development is actually pretty big. 

The real problem at Chapel Ridge, along with The Preserve and Falls Village in Durham, was the company out of Virginia that had the courses for several years.  There were all sorts of issues among the partners, and money that was supposed to be going into maintenance went elsewhere, likely into someone's pocket.  That company is out of the picture now, and Chapel Ridge is gradually getting back to at least decent condition.  A year ago, the greens at Chapel Ridge were as much crabgrass as bent grass; that problem has been reversed.  It is still VERY rough around the edges, and the bunkers are sort of a disaster, but at least it is back to being playable.   Arnold Palmer Golf Management is currently running the courses, fwiw.

It is a Couples "signature" course, but Bob Moore was the GCA who did the work, btw.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill Satterfield

Re: Unsung courses in your state that deserve more exposure
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 11:37:59 PM »
I'll go with Blue Lakes Country Club for Idaho (Twin Falls).  Very few people know about it, yet it enjoys a highly unique location pinched between giant lava rock walls and the mighty Snake River.  The par three 6th hole plays 200 yards from every tee box and drops 120 feet enroute to the green that peninsulas back into the river.  The terrain creates some unique holes like a double dogleg par four, but if you check it out on Google Earth you can get feel for the property.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
One of the MOST overlooked courses in St. Louis is Westwood C.C.

It was designed by Harold Paddock, Sr.
See this article of his from 1945:
http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1945jul24.pdf
Most of his designs are in the northeast of Ohio.

I have not seen the course since Keith Foster did some renovations.

Bill - you may be thinking of Meadowbrook that Foster renovated some years back. I'm not aware of him doing any work at Westwood but could be mistaken.

The course I'd nominate here is a Keith Foster original design ironically - Persimmon Woods. Golf only club that is always in great shape, lots of native grasses, zoysia fairways kept very dry and firm. Lots of fun. I have it in my top 5 in town.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
A few here in Florida:

- PGA GC (Dye)
- Riviera CC (the one near Daytona)
- The Florida Club (just played here yesterday and was surprised by the restrained shaping and interest on the greens)
- River Hall CC
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »
Crap!  The Keith Foster talk made me realize I forgot about Haymaker up in Steamboat Springs, CO.  Put that on the list.

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »
Crap!  The Keith Foster talk made me realize I forgot about Haymaker up in Steamboat Springs, CO.  Put that on the list.

Agree, Haymaker is wonderful and walkable.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 12:43:12 AM »

Agree, Haymaker is wonderful and walkable.

Yeah, bonus points for walkability in this neck of the woods.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back