News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Lionberger

Pinehurst in May
« on: October 07, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
I値l be attending a wedding in May in Chapel Hill and my wife (not a golfer) and I will be adding on two additional days to visit Pinehurst.  I値l be playing No. 2 for sure but curious what other course one recommends for a first timer to the area?  From the research I致e done I知 leaning towards Mid Pines.

Thanks for any help.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Pinehurst in May
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:12:57 PM »
Might want to try number four. Just renovated/redesigned.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
Do a Mid Pines Pine Needles day

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »
Do a Mid Pines Pine Needles day

+1.  Very different courses across the street from one another.  We were just there at the beginning of September, and it always is a coin flip for me.  Mid Pines has a greater number of strategically interesting holes; Pine Needles green sitings and complexes wonderful.  Both extremely walkable. 

Ira

Jay Mickle

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »
Surely MP/PN but consider Tobacco Road or Dormie(if they are accepting outside play). See some of the best by Ross, C&C and Strantz.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Cal Seifert

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »
Surely MP/PN but consider Tobacco Road or Dormie(if they are accepting outside play). See some of the best by Ross, C&C and Strantz.

I believe dormie club is accepting outside play. Their website lists green fees.

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »
There is talk about Dormie Club becoming private much earlier than the original estimate. If you're interested in playing DC  and it's still available to the public next May, you might want to take the opportunity.

David McIntosh

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 11:20:58 AM »
There is talk about Dormie Club becoming private much earlier than the original estimate. If you're interested in playing DC  and it's still available to the public next May, you might want to take the opportunity.

I知 planning a trip to the area next year and have been in contact with Dormie Club regarding availability. I understand 2019 is to be a transitional year for them as they move towards being a private club so they will be taking visitor tee bookings, just not as many as they have in previous years.

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »

I知 planning a trip to the area next year and have been in contact with Dormie Club regarding availability. I understand 2019 is to be a transitional year for them as they move towards being a private club so they will be taking visitor tee bookings, just not as many as they have in previous years.
I've been told that DC will honor 2019 commitments made previously to some of the tour packagers. If the club becomes private some time in 2019, I wouldn't be sure that open public access - at least as it is configured now - will be available.

David McIntosh

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 12:26:20 AM »
Thanks Craig - that痴 good to know.

I had been waiting on a tour packager releasing their next batch of dates before booking but will get in touch with DC soon to secure a time and can always rearrange if required.

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
Do not miss playing the Cradle while you are there. Most fun 60 min you can have.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jason Lietaer

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
Do not miss Pine Needles.  Nobody in our group liked Mid Pines better than Pine Needles even though we liked both. Both walkable routings that feel pretty economical in their use of land. Pine Needles has more room out there, and Mid Pines is a little tighter. Don't miss the clubhouse at Mid Pines though.

The Dormie Club is fantastic but feels completely different. It's huge -- it feels like you've had a long walk through the forest. So many great holes.

We pulled some strings and played both the Forest Creek courses. Not worth a huge effort -- you can find versions of them anywhere else.  Although the men's locker room/bar area is one of the finest in the country. It's seriously special.

And as others have said before -- if you miss the Cradle (short course with a few beers and music blasting from the airstream stationary beer cart), you've done it wrong.

And FWIW, I think #2 is an architectural masterpiece. I was shocked at how much I loved it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back