News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Seminole question
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »
it seems to me that there are many different takes on Seminole.  And they is really is no gray area about it.  People either believe it is a superb course jam packed with all the attributes that back up its ranking, and popularity.  Or, people say it’s the most overrated course they’ve ever seen (on ranking list).  I can’t undetstand how a place can be so polarizing.  I have never been there so I don’t have any input.  I’ve olayed tons of golf in Florida and I have yet to be overly impressed by anything other than the courses at streamsong.  Can someone help me out as to why Seminole is either legendary or over hyped..??
John
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Phil McDade

Re: Seminole question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
This is a wild guess, but I'd bet Seminole -- other than Augusta National -- is the least-played course among the GCA crowd here among those in the upper tier of America's best-regarded courses.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »
Though I've never seen or played it, I think there's a couple factors at work:

1)  When Seminole is at it's best, most northern courses are closed, and the weather at southern transition zone courses can be poor.  So it has little competition among "winter" clubs.

2)  It profits from it's place as a Ross course that hasn't been screwed with too much.  Much like Pinehurst No. 2.

3)  That Ben Hogan chose to practice there ahead of the Masters will never hurt your stature.

4)  With most Florida courses being relatively flat with abundant ponds and palm trees and wall to wall bermuda, Seminole is probably downright "hilly" and "linksy" comparitively.  That it is likely so much better than most Florida courses might set it apart.

Here's a pretty sweet video that I believe was posted in another thread awhile back regarding the C&C restoration:

https://vimeo.com/185644621

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »
Search "Seminole" and you'll find several very good threads discussing the course.  Particularly around 2010.

None of Tom Bacsanyi's factors play into why I think it is fantastic; and, I've not heard any of those factors from others who share my opinion.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 03:24:39 PM »
Search "Seminole" and you'll find several very good threads discussing the course.  Particularly around 2010.

None of Tom Bacsanyi's factors play into why I think it is fantastic; and, I've not heard any of those factors from others who share my opinion.
Is this a nice way of saying you disagree with Tom?   ;)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »
I played it a few years ago with 3 other GD panelists and you're correct, 2 people liked it and 2 didn't.

I personally thought it was fascinating.  It's a course that from any yardage you can hit any club. It really demands thinking and the ability to play different shots. The greens are complex and super fast.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »

Is this a nice way of saying you disagree with Tom?   ;)

I appreciate his restraint.  I'll crawl back into my cave now, sirs.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
The golf course presents its truest test in windy conditions.

I wonder if guests who happen to play on a calm day enjoy it less.

WW
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:06:56 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Stephen Davis

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »

Care to share what factors make you think it is fantastic?

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »

Care to share what factors make you think it is fantastic?

Here's a head start:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4646.msg88559.html#msg88559
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,17271.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38386.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,17850.0.html
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

John Emerson

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
Thanks JC
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Gary Sato

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
I have an opening to play Seminole in mid December if anyone is interested.  Please PM me.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
I'm playing Seminole for the first time next week. What are some of the things I should look for?
H.P.S.

AChao

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

Hi Gary,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks!

I have an opening to play Seminole in mid December if anyone is interested.  Please PM me.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »
Many years ago a well-connected friend told me that Seminole was the only course I really liked where we strongly disagreed.  He had only played it once or twice, in calm conditions.

He lives there now and serves on the board of the club.

Gary Sato

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »
I'm playing Seminole for the first time next week. What are some of the things I should look for?

Throw away your yardage. To me it's the best feel course I've played. Like someone else said you can hit 4-PW from 150 as an example. The greens might be running 13 so be ready.

Regarding my post, the day is Tuesday December 18 and the unaccompanied rate is $350. Tee time is 1pm.  Sorry I wasn't clear and so many (22) responded. I'll ask again to PM me.

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »

You’re better off playing to the front of the greens than being aggressive and short aiding yourself.  If you do shortside yourself, consider playing to the front of the green to avoid playing ping-pong.

Off the tee, the aggressive line is rewarded if you are successful.

BHoover

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
Look out for fivesomes. I’ve heard they run rampant there.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
Pat,
   Good to hear you are Seminole bound. I feel it  is one of the greatest golf experiences around- in fact I consider it to be the equal of a day at Shinnecock or Cypress Point. The golf is very strong- if the wind blows you will be humbled. The elevation changes that are utilized with the 2 ridges are unique for South FL. The greens and bunkering complexes are exceptional. Below the hole is good advice on approach shots. The 6th hole is my favorite at Seminole- Hogan also felt it was one of the strongest holes on the course. My hope is that you can have lunch beforehand and a post round cocktail. The clubhouse and Men's lockerroom are special places. I look forward to hearing your post round comments.
                                         Wish you well,    Jack

JESII

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »

You’re better off playing to the front of the greens than being aggressive and short aiding yourself.  If you do shortside yourself, consider playing to the front of the green to avoid playing ping-pong.

I'm curious about this aggressive line statement. Where exactly does an aggressive line help make the approach shot easier? I'd guess the right side of 15 is a spot...maybe... Left side of the fairway on 10 is counter-intuitively better in my opinion but not sure it's the aggressive line. Curious to hear your thoughts.

The coolest, most difficult and frustrating about the course to me is that you really really want to be below the hole but it's so hard to get there.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 01:11:22 PM »
So I'm in the group that think it's a ZERO. I was really looking forward to my round there. K arrived, put my shoes on in the parking lot and walked over to the practice putting green and was told the putting green was not open until another 3o minutes. Neither was the driving range. Ok, I go sit in my car.

It looks like a wide open municipal course that we have all played 1000 times. You can hit it anywhere on some holes. I keep shaking my head, "what am I missing".

I did some research later to help me understand what I didn't understand. I understand it now

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »

I'm curious about this aggressive line statement. Where exactly does an aggressive line help make the approach shot easier? I'd guess the right side of 15 is a spot...maybe... Left side of the fairway on 10 is counter-intuitively better in my opinion but not sure it's the aggressive line. Curious to hear your thoughts.

The coolest, most difficult and frustrating about the course to me is that you really really want to be below the hole but it's so hard to get there.

Off the top of my head I'd add 3, 6, 14 and 16.  But I'd say generally speaking, going inside on the doglegs to cut the distance is rewarded.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 04:11:00 PM »
Why didn't Ross put the green up in the dune on 18 in the first place??
Is that change putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa?

JESII

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
"Off the top of my head I'd add 3, 6, 14 and 16.  But I'd say generally speaking, going inside on the doglegs to cut the distance is rewarded."

I'd be willing to debate #3. For the longer hitter, sure you want as short a second shot as possible if you're going for the green but lets talk in a little more detail.

#6 - I whole-heartedly disagree. If this isn't a prime example of playing to the outside of a dogleg to improve your stance and approach position I don't know what is. You may save 10 or 15 yards hugging the left side but you end up with the ball way below your feet and headed for the right greenside bunkers.

#14, I assume you mean #15? - is there actually a decision off the tee. If you can reach the right fairway you aim for it. The left fairway is so much longer you'd never choose it. Am I missing something?

#16 - I agree.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »

Throw away your yardage. To me it's the best feel course I've played. Like someone else said you can hit 4-PW from 150 as an example. The greens might be running 13 so be ready.

Regarding my post, the day is Tuesday December 18 and the unaccompanied rate is $350. Tee time is 1pm.  Sorry I wasn't clear and so many (22) responded. I'll ask again to PM me.
Did you fill the spot?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back