News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

What type of course?
« on: December 22, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »
If you were in a tournament with 50 players of your same ability and you needed to shoot a low round (relative) what type of course would you choose? In other words, how do you see yourself as a player?The shorter, yet demanding of all facets course like Pasatiempo, The long and brutish type like a Bellerive or a Bethpage Black. Maybe the extremely hard course like The Honors Course or Oakland Hills. Maybe a links course like Ballybunion. This my first topic, so please be gentle, once again I am glad to be here.

Philippe Binette

Re:What type of course?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 09:26:27 AM »
Definitely Crystal Downs...

6600 yards par 70, but I can't say it's short. It's a course that requires so much and where a lot of type of players can use their strenghts.

You can play it with a power and aggressive strategy, hitting driver on short par 4s. You can play it with finesse and smart decision.

But mainly, a lot of thing can happen there. 10 stroke lead with one round to go, no guaranteed victory.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:31:11 AM »
Flat, easy to putt greens...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 12:08:56 AM »
My home course of course. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 12:18:12 AM »
I suppose you want me to pick a course other than my home course. I would try to pick a course that had the features that my home course has that I get practice on that others may not have everyday experience with. Fairly severely sloped greens with at least 1/3 of them domed shaped. Fairways with uphill and sidehill lies where you need to hit your drive too. If you lay back too much from these you are putting yourself too far out for an accurate approach. And of course, magnificent groves of Douglas Firs lining some of the holes and even encroaching on the fairway in some places.

I might have to go to a Doak 0, Port Ludlow to best stymie my opponents. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Siebert

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 02:38:09 AM »
Very long and very wide open, except with 3" rough everywhere instead of fairway, with fast slopey greens completely surrounded on all sides by sand.  I don't think they make those though so I can't come up with an example!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 02:38:51 AM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 06:45:23 AM »
Brora.  I like the links and am better able to play the ground game than my handicap would suggest.  

Also I grew up around electric fences and I'm sure I could trivk a city slicker into touching one.  Sure to give me a stroke or two as they recover.. ;D

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 08:06:54 AM »
Sean

Stepping back behind the ball and then squatting down to line up a putt is the real rookie's play at Brora....

Brian Noser

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 09:05:35 AM »
Long course, although with lots of opportunitys for me to use my shortgame skills though no bunkers. I think I play like John Daly I hit the ball pretty long but my short game is what keeps me in it.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 03:45:03 PM »
Rich,

Your post makes a wonderful sight gag(for me anyway).  LOL.

When I plyed there one of my partners did actually get zapped.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
Tobacco Road
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Troy Alderson

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 09:52:56 PM »
Glenn,

IMHO, MacKenzie greens rolling about 8 feet at the fastest.  Tee shots that require the driver to stay in the bag.  Force the golfers to really think about their shot.  No rip it and grip it.  Very little rough, alot like ANGC used to be.

What is the new term out there on the tour the players are using for flailing at the ball without any concern where it ends up?  I would make sure the golf course does not allow for that type of play.

Troy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back