News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Ryder Cup Predictions
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
The US to win by 5 points

Reed to lead the charge for the US

Tiger to muster 2.5 points out of 4

Sergio and Stenson to muster 2 points between them

Top Euro – Tyrrell Hatton

Thomas Bjorn to fall out with someone and possibly everyone

In future years Le Golf National will be redeveloped as a water park

Any others ?

Tim Gallant

Re: Ryder Cup Predictions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:38:59 AM »
Genuinely think it will be close...

I believe a 14-14 tie - US retains the cup.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
Europe 15-13.

Each match will be a coin flip.  Home field advantage and familiarity with the course will be enough to put Europe over the top. 

Michael Graham

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »

How split are your loyalties Tim?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
As has apparently been said a few times over the years “The game of golf has been the winner this week!”. Sic or not sic?
Atb

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »
I think it will be a toss-up either way. But I’ll go with 14.5-13.5 Europe.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »
A little surprised at the predictions thus far ............ I would have guessed that the US would win 18-10 in real snoozer.

I know I should not judge from the web site, but the course looks like a 1982 vintage Nicklaus.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
A little surprised at the predictions thus far ............ I would have guessed that the US would win 18-10 in real snoozer.

Because that's how it always goes? :)

I fear a Euro romp - seems like it always happens when we least expect it - but I'm expecting it to be close. US by 1-1.5 points.

Hoping Tony gets the clincher.....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »
I have a feeling it's going to be a story book finish - specifically, a story book finish to TW's story book year. Which means it'll have to come down to the last match on Sunday -- since there's no way that Cap'n Jim Furyk, who had a front row seat during all of TW's  greatest years, will put anyone but Tiger out last.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »

How split are your loyalties Tim?

Not at all! USA all the way  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 04:49:17 PM »
USA in a romp, (5 points or more).  Just too many horses that run too deep.

I mean Finau, Tiger, and Phil were "lowly" captains picks and all playing better than anyone on the Euro team with the exception of maybe Rose.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Hopefully the Euros will win and use the victory to remind themselves just how advantageous it is to work together.  ;)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »

I mean Finau, Tiger, and Phil were "lowly" captains picks and all playing better than anyone on the Euro team with the exception of maybe Rose.
True, but aren't they playing better than anyone on the US team as well? 

Also, is Phil playing well?  He came in dead last at the Tour Championship. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »

Phil will sit down for two matches. Tiger for one. Fewer trees on the course will suit Justin and Rory. Slower greens.
Europe 16-14. Make that 15-13 because there are only 28 matches.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:40:01 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 01:45:37 AM »
Europe 14.5-13.5

US will need to win 8 singles matches on Sunday and they'll win 7.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 02:24:32 AM »
USA in a romp, (5 points or more).  Just too many horses that run too deep.

Agreed Mickleson was quite majestic at East Lake.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »
I was reading the Times this morning and the propaganda/wishful thinking machine (delete as per your preference) was getting cranked up to 11 on the Spinal Tap scale. If you believe what was said then the Euros will win primarily because the course is more a US Open set up ie. narrow fairways and thick rough which will negate the bombers in the US team, and the greens are far too slow (11 stimp ?) for them to putt on as well.

The other gem was it was more like a links challenge and therefore that will suit the Euro's. Ignoring the obvious comment about the course, I'd love to know how it being a links suits Euro's more than the US given that winners and challengers at the Open in recent years have more often than not been American ?

The final bit of wishful thinking was that the American team is tired. Seriously, apparently Justin Thomas was seen with a plaster in his wrist. I do hope they have medics lining every fairway  ;D

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »
The US team is just too loaded, however haven't we said the same thing in the past 20 years numerous times?

It will be a great tourney and the best players don't always win, it are those who can work within the team atmosphere and make putts, bottom line make putts.  The Euro team has some very good putters, where the USA has some streaky putters IMO.  This is what gives me pause about saying USA by a good margin.  I think it will be 1 1/2 - 2 points in the USA favor.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
I think Tiger is the US' "Ryder Cup Jinx".
Sure, victory came in '99, but since then, Tiger has been a burden and his track record reflects that.

US won in 2016 but Tiger was just a supporter, not a player.
He sucks the oxygen out of the team.

Europe wins and I dont really care about the score.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
I think Tiger is the US' "Ryder Cup Jinx".
Sure, victory came in '99, but since then, Tiger has been a burden and his track record reflects that.

US won in 2016 but Tiger was just a supporter, not a player.
He sucks the oxygen out of the team.

Europe wins and I dont really care about the score.

I think Tiger has a new attitude.

Seems to me Bubba Watson, Webb Simpson, Jordan Spieth and Phil are not playing well.

I like Europe's chances.

David Jones

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
15-13 for the Euros for me. A month ago I thought USA were going to romp it but have switched now.

I think the performance of the ‘question mark’ players will be key - Mickelson, Reed, Spieth, Watson, Garcia, Stenson - and I hope Bjorn doesn’t do a Clarke and overplay his picks.

Course-wise it has to be a bit of an advantage to the Europeans that they have played the course so many times although I’m not sure the ‘taking the driver out of the US hands’ argument is that strong.

If things do go bad for the Europeans then watch out for Bjorn. He is quite a volatile chap!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 11:26:42 AM »
Sure Phil has his blow up holes more than most, but he's still a birdie machine and was 12th on tour in Birdies.  And yes he's doing OK because anyone who makes the Tour Championship (top 30 guys) is certainly playing well relatively speaking.

If Furyk is smart he'll sit him for 4somes and play him in 4 balls.  He and Tiger should only be playing once per day anyways given thier age.

Bubba and Patrick Reed are the only guys who really have been below par lately, but Reed lives for this stuff, he'll be OK.  Spieth has been up and down of late, but he's more of a steady eddie which in general is a positive in match play...

P.S.  If any of you want to put your money where your mouth is...I'm game..  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 04:52:22 PM »
Morning 4 ball pairings posted.  Little surprised Phil isn't in this segment but I like what i see so far

https://www.rydercup.com/scoring

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »

When I posted earlier I thought that Phil would sit two matches. I was looking at both two-balls. The state of a specific player's game is more critical in a two-ball match than a four ball match. If a player is "off" in a two-ball the match is likely to be lost (unless the opposition obliges with equal poor play), whereas in a four ball, the player's partner can carry the side with superb play.
IMO playing Mickelson in two-ball matches would lead to a 2-0 European lead.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »
I said a week ago I'd take the U.S. at 15.5 to 12.5, so I'm gonna stick with that.

Brandel Chamblee was going on and on about how the winner of the first match has won 13 out of the previous 19 Ryder Cups. I don't know about you, but a predictor with only about 2 out of 3 odds isn't that great a predictor. It's one match. If it was the first session, maybe that would carry a bit more weight, but the first match? Meh.

Reminds me of the first hitter (Willie Mays Hayes) reaching base and then being picked off in Major League and how the season can be determined by the first hitter of the year in baseball.  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back