News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Bacsanyi

Old TPC Sawgrass?
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:48:06 PM »
I stumbled upon this photo that appears to be TPC Sawgrass during the "scruffy" period.  Can anyone verify?  Which hole? It's from this article in the GSR (Ben Crenshaw on maintenance):

http://gsrpdf.lib.msu.edu/ticpdf.py?file=/1990s/1994/940526.pdf

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Pete_Pittock

Re: Old TPC Sawgrass?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 01:14:51 AM »
Looks like 15. I played there in its second year and don't remember that look. Will see if I have old pix

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:13 AM »
I reckon that's 10.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
I reckon that's 10.

Its #15. #10s waste area is on the left side.

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
Sorry. Not #10. Don't know why I put that. Yes, it's 15.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:04:24 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:02:46 AM »
This looks like the 1st.

15 it is, forward tee is not a peninsula on 1.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
The picture below this one in the article is #1 west at Ridgewood.  The trees are a little thinner these days but the airspace is still really tight.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
This looks like the 1st.

15 it is, forward tee is not a peninsula on 1.

#1 also had permanent wood stands around it until the early 1990s; rough was a sandy scrub grass around the tee complex.

Love seeing the old pics of TPC.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
I have a conspiracy theory that the PGA Tour has eradicated all traces of the first iteration of TPC.  Swept down the memory hole in a 1984ish plot due to the controversy.  It's up to us to preserve any evidence for posterity.  Ok, I'm going too far.  Anyway, there has to be a nice collection of photos somewhere.  Tom Doak said he had a bunch on slides but I haven't seen them posted anywhere.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »
I have a conspiracy theory that the PGA Tour has eradicated all traces of the first iteration of TPC.  Swept down the memory hole in a 1984ish plot due to the controversy.  It's up to us to preserve any evidence for posterity.  Ok, I'm going too far.  Anyway, there has to be a nice collection of photos somewhere.  Tom Doak said he had a bunch on slides but I haven't seen them posted anywhere.

Oh, yeah, I have a lot of pictures of it.  There were a couple of greens changed even before the first tournament in 1982.

It was hard to recognize the photo above because it felt like half the holes looked like that.  The other half had water or waste bunker left off the tee 😀

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »
Fascinating. Thanks for posting.
And to think there are people, many of them, who remember the past as it actually was.
To my untrained eye, Mr. Dye sure knew his Pine Valley and Pinehurst both. But if you didn't know about the old TPC (and I didn't), you would've thought his main inspiration was Disneyland.
(And oh, didn't more than a few architects in turn use *that* as a model post 1984...)

Matt Kardash

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
Tom, your goal in life should be to bring the TPC back to this.If a designer can ever bring the course back to this it would probably be the best thing ever for golf and design. Since the course is so high profile and the home to the tour, it would be seen seen as such a symbol for change.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back