News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Be Honest! Did you think it would happen?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 07:56:09 AM »

Rory was rather disappointing and quite naive tactically hopefully he has learned from Tiger on how to manage the way round an old fashioned classic course.

Ben

Rory is wonderfully gifted in terms of his ability to hit a ball. I sometimes wonder though if that has held him back in a sense in that he's relied on that instead of developing his game management. He's no longer a youngster and if he hasn't learned by now..........

Tiger on the other hand, that's his biggest asset IM(inexpert)O.

Niall

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »
Yep.

Yes, absolutely - with one caveat - that he was healthy. If he's healthy, he's still the best out there.

My thinking exactly. Well done, Tom! :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
I voted back in January that Tiger would get 1 win, 0 majors. I was right in the last event of the year.

Next year I voted 2-3 and 1. I'm not sure at all of the 1, but I'm feeling pretty good about the 2-3. Three gets him past Snead, now, too.

I think your prediction is spot on for next year.
I'd add, given his favorite course dominance that I think it's 4 regular wins and 1 major.
Seeing him swing the driver in tempo is something it almost seemed he was incapable of doing for a couple of years-now he's doing it.
Acceptance of playing golf with his current body and realizing that it WAS indeed good enough to play great-and not keep up with the ballspeed of his buds.

How about that drive on 18 by Rose? or the second shot.
wow

I'm hearing Chamblee wax on about this being the "greatest comeback in golf history"
Tiger didn't throw himself in front of his wife to save her life, and his body was not mangled seemingly beyond repair like Ben Hogan.
Nor has he accomplished anything like Hogan did (yet) post injury.

It is an incredible comeback for a variety of reasons, but just because Chamblee himself didn't think it possible, doesn't make it a better comeback than the unbelievably epic comeback and post injury success of Hogan.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:28:14 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
Well said, jeffw. I'm getting a little tired of hearing about the chipping yips as well, but maybe that one's just me. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
Everyone is a champion when the world loves you. We don't have to wait till next year to see how Tom Brady reacts to the demons of age and doubt. I hope our love of Tiger doesn't fade by April because he needs us as much as golf needs him.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »

I'm hearing Chamblee wax on about this being the "greatest comeback in golf history"
Tiger didn't throw himself in front of his wife to save her life, and his body was not mangled seemingly beyong repair like Ben Hogan.
Nor has he accomplished anything like Hogan did (yet) post injury.

It is an incredible comeback for a variety of reasons, but just because Chamblee himself didn't think it possible, doesn't make it a better comeback than the unbelievably epic comeback and post injury success of Hogan.
Totally agree.  These are reckless statements made at a time where no one holds anyone accountable for them.  He hasn't even won a major since his comeback (although I think he will), then it will be time to compare him to Hogan's comeback.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
Has Tiger ever won a tournament playing the villain?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »
Yes, I thought he would win again and yes I think he'll win another couple majors.  He overcame a lot of damage, part self-inflicted psychological trauma and part orthopedic/neurological trauma.  Either one would make it hard for a "typical" pro golfer to return to the winner's circle, but to overcome the combo platter is pretty impressive.  As far as comparing it to Hogan, I won't go there.  Two different times, two different stories and two different champions.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
I never thought he would be able to play 4 full rounds without WD let alone winning on a narrow course again the 30 best players in the world. Bravo
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JHoulihan

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 11:38:07 AM »
Yes. I thought he would win again. On what course and against what field strength was TBD. He always had his favorites like Bay Hill and Firestone that seemed likely but also brought in stronger strength of competition.

I love to see him swinging at 80% and not out of control. I think him seeing that he can still get it out there 300-320 without over swinging has been huge confidence boost. Seeing him near the top of the field in putting has been similar. Trying different equipment and strokes, and when then match, huge gain in confidence.

Very happy for 2019 year, especially the major venues. Augusta, Bethpage, Pebble, Royal Portrush.

Justin

Ben Stephens

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »

Rory was rather disappointing and quite naive tactically hopefully he has learned from Tiger on how to manage the way round an old fashioned classic course.

Ben

Rory is wonderfully gifted in terms of his ability to hit a ball. I sometimes wonder though if that has held him back in a sense in that he's relied on that instead of developing his game management. He's no longer a youngster and if he hasn't learned by now..........

Tiger on the other hand, that's his biggest asset IM(inexpert)O.

Niall

The commentator said it was one of the worst rounds he has seen from a hugely talented golfer. Rory doesn't need to use his driver all the time his iron play is good as any however the wedge shots has not particularly been that good this year. His Major wins apart from Hoylake has been on modern courses rather than the classic ones.

Boy he is the most frustrating golfer to watch - hopefully he will come good this week with the wedges and putter  ::)

Tiger has won most of his majors on classic courses which seems to require astute course management. I thought East Lake was a fascinating course as every hole had different challenges even if it was a subtle design. Hats off to Bendelow and Ross 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
I remember years ago here, TE Paul (or maybe JK) had a thread asking if the then-young-and-dominant TW would ever produce a tear-inducing moment like Jack did at the 86 Masters, the implication/subtext being that, like Jack-Arnold in the early days, TW was respected but Phil was loved. And I remember posting that, yes, TW would produce that tear-inducing victory, but that we'd have to wait many years for it: i.e. that he'd have to go through injuries or personal traumas and loss and (just like with Jack not having won a major for a few years) have some down times when he was written off before the stage would be set for the tears to flow. And now, if Erik and Jeff W are right, if he can squeeze 1 or so wins out of the next few years, it'll come to pass that -- just as I'd predicted -- TW will be about 46 and will win his 19th professional major (likely at Augusta, if the story book is true), and the sounds of cheers and tears will resound through those Georgia pines like we've never heard before.
Geez, I wish I could predict and watch come to fruition my *own* championship season just as clearly!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:07:16 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
I counted him out for medical reasons. And I can only hope that what he does now will not put him in a wheelchair at age 50.

Anyhow, the old Tiger is back. And the old field, too!

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
Remember a month or so ago when the young twits wanted galleries silenced. Deal with Tiger noise bitches. Just another Millennial meltdown.

V_Halyard

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
I did. I thought he's peak would be about now. I was pleasantly surprised by the Valspar and the Open.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

archie_struthers

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
 8)

He's been hitting it so good that sooner or later I thought he would win soon .  But certainly never saw a tour de force like this week !

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
Just a note to the equipment haters. You can thank modern equipment for Tiger's return from such a serious injury.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
Just a note to the equipment haters. You can thank modern equipment for Tiger's return from such a serious injury.
Oh contraire
Without modern equipment in the game, he would've already won 3-4 times this year.
It's modern equipment that has nearly a whole field of fine pretenders being able to hit 340 yard drives into the middle of the fairway, and then loft a 6 iron (which is a 4 iron) up in the air as if it were a 9 iron.
TW's still using the same irons lofts they used in 1975, and was dominant when he was the last guy with a steel shafted driver. 

Niall C

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
Peter

If I remember correctly Tiger was also the first guy to be playing the Pro V, by about 6 months. And when he was at Nike, how long did he have to wait in the queue for a club fitting ?   ;)

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »
Peter.

Some strong words.  So guys like DJ, Finau, Rory, Bubba, Phil,  etc...all pretenders?

P.S.  If hitting bombs 50 yards past everyone else and approaching with short irons is the measure...Tiger was one of the original pretenders..

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »
K - much better golfers and more  keen observers than me have long noted a) that the latest (especially driver) technology has 'brought the field closer together' than ever before, ie has given more & more golfers the ability to hit it consistently long and straight off the tee, and b) that at his best the difference between Tiger and everyone else (be it Ernie & Phil then or Dustin & Jordan now) is actually lessened and not enhanced by modern technology, ie that with older irons and drivers, Tiger's advantage over everyone else would've been even greater.
To JK's point: modern equipment helped Tom Watson almost win the Open at 59; but it didn't help the GOAT win the tour championship at 42.
To your point: at the highest level, 'greatness' is relative: it's not taking anything away from remarkably good golfers like the ones you mentioned to say that, compared to TW (back then, and, apparently now once again), they are not 'great'.
P

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:36:54 PM by Peter Pallotta »

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
Actually, my recollection is Tiger played a Nike ball made by Bridgestone during the great change lo those many years ago. And I will add, I've had more outlier long tee shots with Bridgestone balls than any other, though my testing is admittedly quite limited.

Looking forward to the RC this weekend!! I'm amazed and entertained by how different golfers are in the RC versus week in and week out. I have no doubt RC Rory will be a monster, I'm just hoping the American side doesn't revert to prior form (prior to the last one, anyway).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
I've played golf 50 years now and I'm an old, tired, clinically obese, arthritic piece of goo who is playing some of the best golf of its life. It's not so much the length that modern equipment provides as it is the soft vibration free feel that results in less fatigue during the course of a round. Anyone who has nursed an injury would agree. I seriously doubt that Tiger could have put in the hours of practice that he so obviously has without the benefits of modern equipment.

It's time for all of us to take a step back and thank the scientists and engineers who have made our lives better.

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
Indeed. As a hands and knees arthritic myself, I can relate. I even recall DLIII saying he switched to graphite shafts in his irons for awhile, not for the length, but for the comfort.

As with all things, it's all in how you interpret the data. The data itself should be indifferent, as should the raw numbers derived therefrom.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 03:00:15 PM »
I counted him out for medical reasons. And I can only hope that what he does now will not put him in a wheelchair at age 50.

Anyhow, the old Tiger is back. And the old field, too!

Ulrich

If he isn't in a wheelchair by then, Byron Nelson's record could be in jeopardy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back