News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

http://golfclubatlas.com/minchinhampton-golf-club-old-course/

Last year at a gathering at Jason's State Apparel in San Francisco, I was asked what course did I most want to see for the first time. I replied Minchinhampton Old or at least I tried to, but I always mess up one of the syllables!  :-[ Nonetheless, I persevered and organized to meet Thomas Dai and Sean Arble there last month.

Happily, despite a build-up in my own mind, the course did not disappoint. In fact, it exceeded expectations, fueled in part by my wife’s enthusiasm as well as that of all the other non-golfers that were wandering around on the common too. What a grand compliment – people with and without clubs loving their time outdoors over the same swath of land - the Minchinhampton common really is that darn handsome.

Then wonderful golf was laid over it in the most respectful manner possible. No bunkers can be built for instance but because  many pre-existing features from centuries back exist and were so well incorporated into the holes, the course remains full of interest and challenge. No 'name' architect is attached to its evolution and in some regards, it joins Ballybunion Old on the 147 Custodians list as a rare example of intelligent rule over a number of decades by committee.

8 at Old Minch - the positively last thing on your mind is the absence of bunkers.

Its history is fascinating. Given that roads cut through the common, allowances have had to made for golf balls and cars to happily co-mingle. The course today possesses a slew of standout holes but two of its best (the old 10th and 12th) had no prayer of staying with us due to the proximity of their greens to a busy road. Still … so what? In many ways, the place reminds me of Hoylake. Both are steeped in history and both have lost a couple of world class holes (in Hoylake’s case, Dowie and the old 17th with the nearby road as out of bounds). Both also afford numerous long interior views across relatively level land in spots as well as enjoying holes over some wonderfully lumpy landforms. According to Thomas, a story circulates that Old Minch was even once considered as a possible Open site well over a century ago!

Like Royal North Devon and its common ground course, today’s Old Minch is a vibrant, thriving course. Yes, a couple of events have been regrettable, but the important thing is how much pleasure can be derived from a game here today. My wife and I are already locking a return visit next year, this time staying at the cozy Lodge on-site.

A desire to return is the great litmus test - and Old Minch passes with flying colors.

Best,
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:24:15 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Minchinhampton (Old) course profile posted under Courses by Country New
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:08 AM »
Over the years I have taken quite a few folks of differing abilites, differing age groups and differing golfing backgrounds to Minch Old and every one of them has loved it and still talks about their visit to this day. Many have returned taking others with them.

Quite simply, play this course. I seriously doubt you’ll come away unconverted about its unique charms and special aura. And it’s damn good golf too plus being great fun to play and a joy to walk around.
Many thanks to Ran and his Mrs for journeying the way of Minch Old and for the thoroughness and considerable research that has gone into writing this splendid profile.
Atb

Later edit - this looks like the current 16th hole. An early player on the Common at Minch' was apparently Lady Margaret Scott, a leading lady golfer of the late 1800's and winner of the British Ladies Amateur. I've no idea however, whether or not any of the figures in this painting is her.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:11:36 AM by Thomas Dai »

Richard Fisher

Re: Minchinhampton (Old) course profile posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 06:11:42 AM »
Agreed 100%. A terrific profile of a terrific place for a game of golf. Thanks so much to Ran (and Mrs M) and Thomas and Sean for their collective efforts in making this happen.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
Thanks, Ran. I've played the likes of Church Stretton, Cleeve Hill, Kington, & Painswick in that general area. But you have to remind me of the one I've missed thus far!

Great profile, especially your opening paragraph about the importance of a course feeling like a part of its surroundings. Makes me want to see Old Minch even more than I already did.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
Ran & all who have played (and liked) Minchinhampton, or courses like it, but who have also played (and liked) some of the (much different) courses from the custodians list, e.g. Rye and Notts and Rock Creek and Riviera and Dornoch and Melbourne etc:

What's the 'unifier' for you? What's the 'commonality'? Is it the golf, i.e. the playing of the game, with all its challenges and joys? Or is it something else?   

Peter
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:55:42 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »
Wow. I have not yet read the words but some great pictures there. The dry summer did produce some wonderful visual contrasts.

Hard to answer your question Peter without saying something cheesy! My favoured phrase for a course like Michinhampton (which I have not played) or Brora or Kington or Pennard is “soul golf”. And that is what Ran is talking about in his early photo caption here - if you have a golfing soul, courses like this talk to it. It is not a matter of analytics - it is more basic/primal/elemental than that. Not sure the experience at Dornoch or Melbourne is quite comparable because there the history and the architecture are starting to loom larger. And there is a scale and a detail and a precision not present at some of these other courses.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »
Perhaps a cross-reference to Rans ‘147 Custodians’ piece is in order here - http://golfclubatlas.com/147-custodians-of-the-game-year1/
The preamble section to the listing of courses, is I suggest, particularly pertinent in relation to Minch Old, which happens to be reference number 119 on the listing.
Atb

Later edit - a photo I took during Ran's visit -
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:35:22 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
When several GCA members came together here one fine March Sunday, the pro apologised and warned us it might be slower than he'd like as we were following the competition. We agreed a plan with him, we’d head for the bar for a ‘swift half’ and he consented we thengo out as a 7(?memory shakey) ball.  Wonderful memory.
[/color] [/size]
[/color]I like Lorne’s take. The courses I love, do give you the ‘joy to be alive’ feeling.[/size]
[/color] [/size]
https://finegolf.co.uk/what-is-fine-golf/joy-to-be-alive-factors/
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
When my old Mum bought a house in Minchinhampton it was one of the happiest days of my life. When she later sold it, one of the worst.

OK. I exaggerate a bit, but there is a magic about the common.

2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
How can anyone pass up the SPECIAL OFFER now on display on their website of 18 holes with a bacon roll for 20 lubs!!!!
Might be worth an intl flight ticket.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 02:12:20 AM »
Remember most people have zero interest in playing Minchinhampton common, Painswick or Cleeve Cloud,

Conditioning.

Raters are usually made up from the 5%.

If you spoke to a Minchinhampton member and said you preferred the Old over the Cherrington or Avening he would look at you like you needed to be sectioned.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 05:33:46 AM »
Regrettably what Adrian has said is on the mark. Such a shame that conditioning and perceptions of it have become so essential, or viewed as essential.

Mind you, there are times when the conditioning at Minch Old is pretty good, especially through the winter, spring and early summer, when the greens can actually be rather pleasant to putt on.

It would be wonderful for somewhere like Minch Old and other courses on Common land of a not-dissimilar ilk, the Westward Ho!'s etc of this world, to be given the opportunity, the cash, and very crucially the support of the authority who oversees the Common to raise the courses conditioning levels. Although that may take away some of the uniqueness, charm and special aura of such courses.

Let's face it, once-upon-a-time the venerable TOC (and many other now highly thought of courses) used to be grazed by sheep and had no irrigation. Now with the cash and the support of the authority that oversees the links, TOC's conditioning is top-notch.

atb

Later edit - some colourised photos of Minch' Old in days gone by -

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:44:00 AM by Thomas Dai »

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 04:10:05 AM »
Ran

Thanks for the piece.  You focus on common land golf and that for me is what brings Minch Old to life.  The concept of sharing land for multiple recreational activities which includes golf and doesn't include fences, hedges or other safety measures has completely changed how I view the game.  Sure, there is a necessary sacrifice in terms of conditioning and the odd bit of paying extra attention for safety sake (but not the quality of the golf!), but this is a very small price to pay for the experience.  Folks really should make the effort to play Minch Old, Painswick (to a lesser degree because the space of the land is very limited) and Cleeve Cloud...you won't find three totally different designs using the same model anywhere else. 

Cleeve Cloud
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Painswick
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51629.msg1181534.html#msg1181534

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:15:40 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 04:23:19 AM »
It's worth making the point to those not aware of the geography of the area that Minch, Painswick and Cleeve are all within a short drive of one another and that a combination of two of the three is easily achievable in one day, or, if you're David Davis, all three!

Personally, i'd take them one day at a time and leave plenty of time to soak up the beautiful Cotswold scenery.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back