News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Even More Top 10 Lists!
« on: September 21, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
The UK Golf Guy blog offers Top 10 lists from G.Shackelford, P. Goss, A. Shipnuck, D. Oliver and M. Clayton.

https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/

John Crowley

Re: Even More Top 10 Lists!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:23 PM »
Great compilation.
Played many but more traveling to be done.
Thanks David

David Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:51:59 AM »
Hi, thanks for sharing David. That’s my little hobby website and it’s been great fun pulling together these lists of favourites.

I was playing at Swinley Forest last week and coming off it I was reflecting how much fun it had been and was one of my favourite courses. I dropped a note to a few of the great and good and was really delighted when they replied with their own lists.

I thought it would be interesting to find out what courses people enjoy the most and why, rather than just asking for their ‘best’ hence the lists. I’ve still got a few to come, Messrs Gallant, Blair and Doak are next up.

As opposed to the rather academic discussions one can get into regarding which course is ‘better’ than another it’s hard to argue about whether a course is someone’s favourite or not!

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:06:42 AM »
David

I like it!  Carry on.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 06:50:10 AM »
Hi, thanks for sharing David. That’s my little hobby website and it’s been great fun pulling together these lists of favourites.
I was playing at Swinley Forest last week and coming off it I was reflecting how much fun it had been and was one of my favourite courses. I dropped a note to a few of the great and good and was really delighted when they replied with their own lists.
I thought it would be interesting to find out what courses people enjoy the most and why, rather than just asking for their ‘best’ hence the lists. I’ve still got a few to come, Messrs Gallant, Blair and Doak are next up.
As opposed to the rather academic discussions one can get into regarding which course is ‘better’ than another it’s hard to argue about whether a course is someone’s favourite or not!

Nice David. Please keep things going and report in!
Good to have an insight into the favourite courses of those in the business. It’ll be interesting to see how such lists develop as other individuals are added. Lots of folks for you to ask as well what with other architects, associates, shapers etc. A very well travelled and knowledgeable profession and one comprising a great deal of very smart people too.
Some sort of chart or matrix would be interesting to see how often the same venues arise. Might even produce some unexpected results.
Atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »
Pretty cool as this isn't a formal ranking.  Just like someone asking what is your top ten in a bar or really informally.

Many of the prime suspects but noteable thus far is no Augusta national or Pine Valley.  I have to think they have played there mostly, big props to the UK courses and Ireland.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Gallant

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »
Many of the prime suspects but noteable thus far is no Augusta national or Pine Valley.  I have to think they have played there mostly, big props to the UK courses and Ireland.

Just you wait ;)

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
Anyone who wants to play Notts Hollinwell from Mr Clayton's list (oh and of course Ran's 147 Custodians list), dont hesitate to drop me a line...
Cheers,
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David Jones

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
Many thanks for the comments. It's been great fun pulling together and I've been amazed by the fast reaction and support of those I've asked to share their lists, as well as those who have got in contact out of the blue.

I will try to curate the responses a little and draw out a few themes coming through and while I will slow the pace down a bit there are a lot of people I am really interested in to hear from still.

As I said, I really like the subjective nature of the lists. You can't argue with someone saying 'I just like it'!!

James Reader

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
Really enjoying reading these.  Asking for “favourites” rather than “best” certainly leads to more interesting results from my perspective.

Key takeaway for me so far - I have to find a way to play Morfontaine!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back