News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Fife
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
Could someone point me to a thread on the relative merits of Balcomie, Elie, Lundin, and Leven Links? Yet another trip planning dilemma of too many courses and not enough days.

Thanks,

Ira

Michael Whitaker

Re: Fife
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
What is your dilemma? Are you afraid you might not be happy with one of these courses and would have been better pleased with a different choice? That won't happen. They are all wonderfully fun and interesting courses and you can't go wrong with any of them. Concentrate more on which best fit into your schedule and budget and plan accordingly.

By the way... there is an excellent search engine on this site that will allow you to find threads on these courses. Give it a try.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
Yes, good advice on both counts, but I have found the crew here to be very helpful even if one cannot go wrong and my attempts at searching when the topic is a common one generally have exceeded my skills.

Ira

Scott Senior

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »
Ira,

I have played all four..and love them all. (playing just those four would make an excellent "short trip" on their own). Lundin Links is my favorite for reasons other then architecture. But I assure you you'll be happy with any or all on your trip.

Scott

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
Ira,

I have played all four..and love them all. (playing just those four would make an excellent "short trip" on their own). Lundin Links is my favorite for reasons other then architecture. But I assure you you'll be happy with any or all on your trip.

Scott

I just played all 4 on a long weekend trip.

Thing is Ira, Michael is right. These 4 have nothing between them so just pick your poison and go with it... where are you staying?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
To all, many thanks.

Ally, we will be in North Berwick and then St. Andrews, or at least that is the plan.

Ira

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
For the quieter life, there’s few better spots than The Ship Inn in Elie... the most interesting of the 4 courses too.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
 8)  don't forget the Fish & Chips dilemma too... is Harry Ramsden's a necessary stop?  Fits the bill for unpretentious dining...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
https://youtu.be/HkyeoIPotso

Just avoid breezy days, this is the tent for the Dunhill beside the first tee at the Old Course today
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
Could someone point me to a thread on the relative merits of Balcomie, Elie, Lundin, and Leven Links? Yet another trip planning dilemma of too many courses and not enough days.

Thanks,

Ira

Ira

For what its worth, I think Elie is comfortably the best of the 4 and I do think it is worth prioritizing it over the other three.

www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63182.msg1504482.html#msg1504482

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ken Moum

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/HkyeoIPotso

Just avoid breezy days, this is the tent for the Dunhill beside the first tee at the Old Course today

You'd think they'd learn

This is from the Scottish Open three months ago on the other side of the firth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufdfZ5iZCMM

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:33:31 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 02:10:04 AM »
I do think Sean’s right. Elie has an interesting feature that comes with almost every hole. For a course that looks relatively simple on the surface, there’s a ton of variety. It is also maintained the best of the 4 by a distance.

Leven has the best rumple and some really interesting greens

Lundin has some of the best holes and is a stouter test

Crail has killer views, a quirky layout and a sense of fun and fulfilment, even if it defines “holiday golf” more closely than the other three

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 02:43:08 AM »
As a member of two of these, I agree with Sean and Ally.  Elie is the best by far enough to be a clear winner.  I can't then decide between Lundin and Leven, one is charming and relatively gentle, the other harder and les scenic but they are at a similar level.  Crail is lovely and I keep on paying the sub despite not using it nearly as much as Elie but whilst it has the best views of the 4, it's the weakest golf.  Great club, though, and one of the best pros around.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 05:27:44 AM »
Leven just offered me 17 months membership for the price of 12 if I renew now.
Golf is dead.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 05:30:12 AM »
If you add The New Course at St Andrews to the group, where does it slot in?

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
8)  don't forget the Fish & Chips dilemma too... is Harry Ramsden's a necessary stop?  Fits the bill for unpretentious dining...

Harry Ramsdens...........the Walmart of fish and chip shops.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
If you add The New Course at St Andrews to the group, where does it slot in?

Scott

I think the answer is probably not very easily  ;D. The others have a kind of charm that maybe the New lacks, and I say that as a fan of the New.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »

Harry Ramsdens...........the Walmart of fish and chip shops.

Niall

Yes,
The Anster Fish Bar is a much better idea!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sam Andrews

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »
Elie is terrific fun and its fish and chips weren’t bad (tho not a patch on Crail’s). Crail has some great holes and is a charming spot. The other two will be on the list next time I go up there.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 02:57:18 AM »
Doing some homework and just found the Top 100 Golf Courses website has Lundin & Leven ahead of Elie...

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/scotland/fife

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 03:54:44 AM »
Doing some homework and just found the Top 100 Golf Courses website has Lundin & Leven ahead of Elie...

Okay.  That doesn't really surprise me.  Lots of the people contributing there will dismiss Elie as too short (though at 6300 for par 70 it isn't) and gimmicky (what, no par 5! All those blind shots).  And Lundin has those lovely holes on the top of the hill with great views.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ken Moum

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »

Okay.  That doesn't really surprise me.  Lots of the people contributing there will dismiss Elie as too short (though at 6300 for par 70 it isn't) and gimmicky (what, no par 5! All those blind shots).  And Lundin has those lovely holes on the top of the hill with great views.

Well, Eff'em then.

I like Lundin, but putting it ahead of Elie is just dopey if you ask me.

And, if you made them play Elie without ever seeing a card, there's no way they'd guess that it had 16 par fours.  Playing it is one of the experiences that had a profound influence on how I see golf courses. The mix of hole lengths there is so engaging that there's no reason to worry much about  par.

My first play there, with several groups of boys on the course, dressed like golfers and wearing knee socks, was a divine experience. Sadly, I went back a couple of years ago with my wife and friend, and played so bad I barely got to see the course.

Thanks, by the way,
Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:14 PM »

They have The Dukes course rated the 4th best in Fife! Really!!! I have not played this course, but have played the rest of their top 10. Is The Dukes that good?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 07:26:12 AM »
Mike

I played the "old" Dukes loads back in the day but have only partly walked the refurbed course. Originally by Peter Thomson's design firm it was in a links style which is to say it had revetted pot bunkers. Can't recall who did the refurb but there was a bit of a spat in the golf construction press when whoever did the refurb commented on the lack of drainage. Anyway, the new style is heathland, which is to say it has relatively shallow shaggy edged bunkers that can be raked by machine. Not sure what the bunker style is now and whether they have rebranded it recently....moorland perhaps ?

Anyway when they did the refurb they tweaked the routing in the bottom half of the course when they got more land and were able to deal with the poorest hole on the course that had a helluva climb.

Overall it's a big modern course (built 1990's) that's built on the side of a hill. Its definitely a buggy course. FWIW, I thought the old layout was better than either of the St Andrews Bay courses and I'd imagine with the tweak in routing it is better yet. That said, comparing it to the four courses mentioned above is like apples to oranges.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back