News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

A Heart Crushing Perspective of Golf and a Reminder From Iowa
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
We grouse and gripe about things golf "mostly" in good spirit. As a member of the Iowa Golf Association Board of Directors, I am frequently reminded and chuckle that the very core of our "Golf-Geek" chatter is a common affliction, "Golf is one of our happy(-iest) places".

That was so true for the outstanding young woman we lost the other day as she was simply doing what made her happy in her "Happy Place". I won't type her name as I prefer this not be digitally trolled, but it is golf news across the globe.
In Iowa and elsewhere, we - are - crushed...

Children of friends and former caddie and member (ringer) of our staff  are on that team. Thoughts and prayers don't begin to mitigate a scintilla the sorrow.I ask this group to share prayer for the family of this outstanding young, talented globe-class golfer and reflect and rejoice that golf is our happy place.  If it isn't, you are hanging out on the wrong blog.- Vaughn  :'(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:41:26 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Joe Bausch

Re: A Heart Crushing Perspective of Golf and a Reminder From Iowa
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
Heartbreaking, Vaughn.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
Terrible news. So sorry for family. Shocking.
Mr Hurricane

Jay Mickle

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »
My son died 2 years ago. This feels very personal.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »
Vaughn - Miss Barquin’s murder was main news across Europe not just the sports pages. Huge tragedy.
Cave Nil Vino

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
Words fail, our hearts ache, the mind reels at the randomness and fragility of it all. My god - that a parent should lose a child, and a young woman her life. Condolences and even prayers seems so poor a response, but all those who are suffering right now have mine.
Peter 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:12:09 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »
A complete horror show. But it has as much to do with golf as the other Iowa murder of Mollie Tibbetts had to do with running. The tragedy is the random, unexpected actions of deranged human beings. A life cut short by a sociopath is hard to reconcile in any way. A prayer 🙏 is offered.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John McCarthy

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:09:07 PM »
Whenever I think people cannot become more depraved I am sadly proven wrong. 

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »
Thank you Vaughn for your reflections on this horrible crime.  While I think Terry is correct that this isn't so much about golf as it is about the shocking effect of random violence in our society, I think it is only natural that we who identify strongly in the golf community throughout the golf world take this personally to heart and feel a loss of a shining soul who loved the game and all that goes with it.  It goes to the Harvey Pennick sentiment that "if you love golf, you are my friend". 

However, I can't restrain myself not to comment on the reaction and effect this shocking crime has, and more depressingly, has not made on our social scene and overall awareness.   As you know when we met in Duluth, I haven't been too active in golf lately due to my debilitation from injuries that has kept me away from the golf scene more than any time in the last 35 years of my life.  Thus for better or worse, I have been doing more social media and watching news and commentary than ever before.  And what I have observed is that this shocking crime barely made the news as compared to what I think it would have been front and center of our national consciousness only a few years ago.  (I hope I am wrong, but from our nearby neighboring news and media market in Wisconsin, I didn't see but a brief blurb of coverage) 

In my view this goes to the accelerating 'coarsening of America' and our society.   The Iowa news had been literally drowned out by other occurrences including yesterday's mass shooting in Madison, the infant random shooting murder in Chicago, and now today in Maryland and even more murderous mass shooting event.  Rains leading to flooding, and all the tumult and anger generated by our national political condition has seemingly stifled the horror of the sweet innocent  Iowa State athletes murder.  Any study and deeper inquiry into these random acts of violence often by similar roaming very mentally damaged individuals and armed criminals and what can be done to reduce their deranged activities seem to be a lost cause.

I honestly believe that had this happened in other parts of the world, far more focus and sustained attention to the cause and effects would have been given to the crime.  Sadly, we are just bouncing from tragedy to horror, to shock and disgust on a daily basis, whether it is violent crime or political crime.  We are on a desensitized overload.  IMHO

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back