News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Re: Golf in Hawaii revisited
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:19 PM »

I also enjoyed Koolau with the jungle feel and changes in elevation and forced carries.

I have so many things about Koolau. Is it really as tough as advertised?

Tommy - first of all thank you so much for all the effort you put into this thread. I have spent a lot of time playing golf in Hawaii and have played most of the courses you mentioned, so I particularly enjoyed your thoughts on them...

Koolau is a very difficult target golf course in the sense that if you miss the target, your ball is in dense jungle and not likely to ever be found again. If you keep the ball on the short grass its playable, the problem is the magnitude of the penalty for bad shots. The back tee has a course rating of 78.2 which basically tells us a scratch golfer from back there should shoot about 78. I guess its just hard to hit the target when you are playing a long course like that. But if you play a reasonable set of tees for your game (that may be a combo of various tees) I think its a very enjoyable outdoor experience as the scenery is spectacular.

Note it is on the rainy side of the island - the first time i tried to play it I got rained out and had to come back the next day (and it rained again during the round) - however the misty rains against the massive towering pali cliffs in the distance plus the jungle and ocean views in the distance on a few of the holes on the back nine make for what i found to be a fun day (even though I ran up the scorecard on the holes where i went astray). Given the frequent damp conditions, the yardage plays even longer and the course can get oversaturated.

I would put in in the category of fun to play on a vacation as an outdoor experience, but would be a tough place to play everyday. I would love to get back there and try it again. If you do head over there do not miss the Nuuanu Pali Lookout (15 minute drive from Koolau) which overlooks Koolau and its neighboring courses and the whole east side of the islands - spectacular!

I know you mentioned you haven't been to Oahu, but there is a lot of other very enjoyable courses on Oahu including Waialae (really looking forward to returning to see Doak's restoration work), Oahu CC and Mid Pacific on the private side and in no particular order the public side: Royal Kunia, Koolau, Royal Hawaiian (fka Luana Hills), Ko Olina, Kapolei, Ewa Beach, Turtle Bay and one of my all time favorite sleepers the MUST play Kahuku...although it just got a big article in Golf...if you go to Kahuku do not miss the Giovanni Shrimp truck! I also know there are some good military tracks on Oahu including Kaneohe Klipper, but I haven't played any of them...

Perhaps my favorite spot in all of Oahu is the Outrigger Canoe Club - sitting in their bar or outside there at sunset is just magical - no golf course but one of the all time coolest beach clubs if you get the chance to visit.

I know many here on the board wouldn't want to play most of these courses, and I respect their opinion, but for me playing golf in Hawaii almost anywhere is a lot of fun - I just love being outside there early in the morning on the golf course.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:31:43 PM by Evan_Green »

Scott Warren

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
Great thread, Tommy. Thanks for the time pulling it together.

I visited Hawaii for the first time early last year and played Kapalua Plantation — which requires no explanation — as well as Oahu CC which is up off the (from memory) Pali Hwy north of downtown Honolulu.

Posted a brief thread on Oahu CC when I got back — interesting course on fun land and a really welcoming club.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64352.msg1533796.html#msg1533796

Tim Leahy

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »

I also enjoyed Koolau with the jungle feel and changes in elevation and forced carries.

I have so many things about Koolau. Is it really as tough as advertised?

Tommy - first of all thank you so much for all the effort you put into this thread. I have spent a lot of time playing golf in Hawaii and have played most of the courses you mentioned, so I particularly enjoyed your thoughts on them...

Koolau is a very difficult target golf course in the sense that if you miss the target, your ball is in dense jungle and not likely to ever be found again. If you keep the ball on the short grass its playable, the problem is the magnitude of the penalty for bad shots. The back tee has a course rating of 78.2 which basically tells us a scratch golfer from back there should shoot about 78. I guess its just hard to hit the target when you are playing a long course like that. But if you play a reasonable set of tees for your game (that may be a combo of various tees) I think its a very enjoyable outdoor experience as the scenery is spectacular.

Note it is on the rainy side of the island - the first time i tried to play it I got rained out and had to come back the next day (and it rained again during the round) - however the misty rains against the massive towering pali cliffs in the distance plus the jungle and ocean views in the distance on a few of the holes on the back nine make for what i found to be a fun day (even though I ran up the scorecard on the holes where i went astray). Given the frequent damp conditions, the yardage plays even longer and the course can get oversaturated.

I would put in in the category of fun to play on a vacation as an outdoor experience, but would be a tough place to play everyday. I would love to get back there and try it again. If you do head over there do not miss the Nuuanu Pali Lookout (15 minute drive from Koolau) which overlooks Koolau and its neighboring courses and the whole east side of the islands - spectacular!

I know you mentioned you haven't been to Oahu, but there is a lot of other very enjoyable courses on Oahu including Waialae (really looking forward to returning to see Doak's restoration work), Oahu CC and Mid Pacific on the private side and in no particular order the public side: Royal Kunia, Koolau, Royal Hawaiian (fka Luana Hills), Ko Olina, Kapolei, Ewa Beach, Turtle Bay and one of my all time favorite sleepers the MUST play Kahuku...although it just got a big article in Golf...if you go to Kahuku do not miss the Giovanni Shrimp truck! I also know there are some good military tracks on Oahu including Kaneohe Klipper, but I haven't played any of them...

Perhaps my favorite spot in all of Oahu is the Outrigger Canoe Club - sitting in their bar or outside there at sunset is just magical - no golf course but one of the all time coolest beach clubs if you get the chance to visit.

I know many here on the board wouldn't want to play most of these courses, and I respect their opinion, but for me playing golf in Hawaii almost anywhere is a lot of fun - I just love being outside there early in the morning on the golf course.
+1 I played as a 15 hdcp and shot 80(blind tee shot on 18 got me) but miss a shot too far and its gone. Still fun setting and course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andrew Keddie

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
I'm headed to Big Island and Kauai so this post is very well timed and appreciated.

Do I read correctly that the Prince course is at least in playing condition while maybe not exactly open to the public? I've been following the story and expected it to be reopening around now but there seems to be no new information.

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
Over the years I have gravitated to the South Maui and Kona areas because the rain can get irritating on the wet sides. What I really like is the walking trails between the hotels at night with the fires lit. The flight back is tough.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
Timely post as I just moved to Hawaii (arrived yesterday).

I'm on Oahu.  If folks are coming out this way and want to play feel free to let me know.  I've yet to determine where I'll play my golf (have to figure out where we'll live first).

Wholly unfair.  No one should actually get to live in Paradise.

As to golf, a reasonably priced (for Hawaii) option on Maui is Kahili which shares the base of the mountain with King Kamehameha.  It is a pure public (i.e. not a Resort) so the conditioning is not high end but is perfectly fine.  My wife and I both enjoyed it.  A third of the price of Kapalua Plantation and Wailea Gold.

Ira

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
Timely post as I just moved to Hawaii (arrived yesterday).

I'm on Oahu.  If folks are coming out this way and want to play feel free to let me know.  I've yet to determine where I'll play my golf (have to figure out where we'll live first).

Wholly unfair.  No one should actually get to live in Paradise.

As to golf, a reasonably priced (for Hawaii) option on Maui is Kahili which shares the base of the mountain with King Kamehameha.  It is a pure public (i.e. not a Resort) so the conditioning is not high end but is perfectly fine.  My wife and I both enjoyed it.  A third of the price of Kapalua Plantation and Wailea Gold.

Ira

I played Kahili the same day I played King Kam and loved it. I thought the terrain was interesting and the holes compelling. I could be happy with a steady diet of this course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

AChao

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
Thanks for the great write-up and reviews!  I love going to Hawaii also and will re-read your reviews before each trip to figure-out where to go.

Kukuilua is worth a visit.  Probably not going to earn any rave reviews from the serious golf course architecture critics, but from the perspective of an enjoyable round of golf with great views -- it's up there.  Also, their facilities for other activities are fabulous.
Makena is worth a return visit -- I played last year and loved it (as I did when it was public and I played it 25 years ago).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »
I would like to get back to Makena as well. I think golf in Hawaii doesn't get the respect it deserves as a golf destination. Golf in the morning and beach in the afternoon is a pretty good vacation. Fortunately my wife loves to play. Because of the distance from the mainland, Hawaii buddy trips don't make sense.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dave McCollum

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
@ Brad.
I agree with you. I have been many times and have enjoyed every trip.
Learned to surf (badly) there.
Caught and ate some great fish.
Incredible hiking on Kauai.

But the golf is akin to Florida resorts with better topography.
I put it (the golf) in the same category as:

Palm Springs
Algarve in Portugal
Puerto Vallarta
Cabo
Hilton Head
Orlando

Over-priced cart-balling that takes 4:35 to play on a good day.

And, since this is a site dedicated to GCA and not family vacation tourism... ;D ...my snarkiness has its place.... ;)

I haven't played much golf in Hawaii, but have been there about 50 times.  Every time at least once I had to look around, shake my head, and say to myself this place is incredible.  My golfing experience is reflected above.  However, at this point in my advanced years, resort golf and family/friends time is a much higher priority than my GCA hobby.  Like minded folks will find this guide to be very useful.  Thanks Tommy for putting this together.  Although I don't disagree with the morning golf/afternoon beach schedule for a stay in the islands, playing golf in the afternoon trade winds on wide, benign resort course is surprisingly memorable with the right mates.       

Ian_L

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2021, 12:34:39 AM »
Thank you Tommy for an informative guide! I am heading to the Big Island in a week with clubs, and this has been very valuable. I had overlooked Hapuna and may just stop by.

One question for the group: are afternoon rounds in May advisable weather-wise, or is morning best? Some of the courses offer nice afternoon discounts, but I wonder if heat and/or extreme winds make those times less than ideal. I am not too familiar with the climate, any thoughts are appreciated.

Ian

AChao

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2021, 02:25:22 PM »
I personally think afternoon with lower greens fees and less people is the better option.  I think people like playing in morning for the reasons you mention and also to finish early and get home to be with kids and family.  Part of the reason for morning high demand.

When I play in the morning I need a nap in the afternoon any way.  So I get up and am with kids, wife, family and then play golf after lunch.  Yes, it’s hotter but it’s not hot compared to places that are actually really hot.  Wind varies but I’ve played plenty of times in the morning when it was crazy windy.  Also, my experience is afternoon rounds are usually 45 min or so faster (depends on place some).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »
I have played a bunch of rounds in the pm. It is cheaper. It is less crowded at most places as are the beaches in the morning.
St. John of the Cross

Ian_L

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2021, 02:47:03 PM »
Excellent! That is what I was hoping to hear. The afternoon green fee savings are pretty significant. Thanks again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back