News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Golf in Hawaii revisited New
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »

I have made six visits to Hawaii in the last twelve years and thought I would compile some thoughts about the courses I have played. In 2012 I began a similar thread, but I updated it and added some new courses. This list is not ranked in order of the best courses but of the courses I enjoyed playing the most. Golf in Hawaii is about the total experience. Beauty is certainly one of the components. The best courses, however, also demand some strategy and execution. There were two courses I would like to have played
, Kohanaiki Golf & Ocean Club on The Big Island, and The Club at Kukui'ula on. Kauai. I couldn't work out the timing. The golf in Hawaii is good and I would gladly replay any of the top 25 courses I listed. I have not played golf on Oahu. I changed computers when my old Mac died and cannot find my pictures of Maui or Lanai.

So, here it is.

I ranked them in order of the total experience. The top five could be in any order.
When Hurricane Iniki blasted through Kauai in 1992 chickens went everywhere and now populate the island.
Waimea Canyon on Kauai

1.Princeville The Prince Course: Kauai. I love this RTJ Jr. course. Yet, it is one of those courses that has as many detractors as devotees. It is nothing short of spectacular. The beauty mesmerizes and the golf inspires. The first time I played it my back tightened up so much on the tenth hole, I could not continue. I couldn’t ride in the cart either. I told my wife that we should go in. Her reply was, “Tough it out I am not quitting.” She didn’t quit. I just kept walking. I understood. We replayed it a few hours later after I took about 37 Advil. The Prince is as hard as drill sergeant’s heart, but I enjoyed the challenge. Update. The course was sold and was supposed to be renovated and become private. It didn’t work out, however, this spring it opened for homeowners. I am not sure what its future is. I am not sure anyone does, including the owners.

2.Kuki’o Golf and Beach Club: Big Island. The Big Island has some of the most private clubs in Hawaii. Kuki’o is one of them. It is very Fazio and very good. In fact, I think it is one of his best courses. The course is just stunning. It is built on the side of Hualalai Mt. The site reminds me of Norman’s Red Sky Ranch, except that at Kuki’o you see the Pacific, not Vail Valley, about 1000 feet below the course. The generous fairways make the course very playable but don’t let that lull you into being careless. The bunkering is ubiquitous and deep. Kuki’o is grassed with Paspalum. It really is a good surface and it can be watered with brackish water. A plus is that the brackish water kills weeds. Besides a killer beach, Kuki’o has a ten-hole short course that I didn’t play. Playing here might just be my wife’s favorite place to play.
Kuki'o

3.Nanea GC: Big Island.Nanea is up the hill from Kuki’o and is one of the most exclusive clubs in the country. I am amazed how many belong to both Nanea and Kuki’o. David McLay Kidd had 8000 acres to play with, and he made the most of his land. The course sits at about 1500 feet and has views of the ocean from every hole. Unlike Kuki’o the terrain is less severe but is complemented by deep gullies and framed with meadow grass glistening on the black lava fields. The Paspalum grass is suited for the terrain and plays fast and firm. The corridors are wide but the shots into the greens are demanding. The greens are large and have a lot of movement. There are not many better places to spend a day. It is par 73 because it only has three par threes. The clubhouse is just striking. It is not large but is simply perfect for the membership. The dining room overlooks the property and the Pacific 1500 feet below.

4.Mauna Kea: Mauna Kea Course: Big Island. Mauna Kea is the grandfather of all the Hawaiian courses. RTJ senior convinced Lawrence Rockefeller to build the course. It was a case of “build it and they will come.” He used crushed lava and cinder to make topsoil. The quality of this course surprised me. I knew about the third hole. But a bunch of Hawaiian courses have similar holes. What surprised me was the quality of the rest of the course. I loved the elevation changes, the beauty, and the greens complexes. The par three eleventh the par five seventeenth are standout holes. I could play it every day. It would make me a better iron player. There are many uphill shots that ask the player pick the correct club or be penalized, especially if you are short. My wife found the course exceedingly difficult because of all the uphill shots into the greens. She did not like it at all. Update. RTJ’s son, Rees, came along to renovate his Dad’s baby. He didn't change the holes for the most part. He did replant the course with Tifeagle Bermuda grass on the greens and Tifway 419 hybrid Bermudagrass on the tees, fairways, and roughs. He put in a new irrigation system, increased the number of bunkers to 99, and the overall yardage was increased by about 200 yards.
Famed third hole
From 220. at Mauna Kea

5. Kapalua Plantation: Maui. I have played Coore and Crenshaw’s Plantation Course three times. Built on a former pineapple plantation, I enjoy the course more each time. The first time around you are not certain where to hit some of the tee shots. After the first time I played it I thought, “What’s the big deal?” The third time I understood. It is one of the most fun courses on the islands, but it takes a little time to understand the course. The course demands that the player uses the land on both the tee ball and shots into the greens. The course usually plays fast and firm. While the fairways are wide enough to land jets, the player needs to hit to a favored side to get the best angle into the green. I hit some of my longest drives ever. The ball stays in the air like a Michael Jordan dunk from the free throw line. The last two monster holes play significantly less than the yardage because they are severely downhill. Just don’t go left.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 02:52:23 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Golf in Hawaii revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:29:44 PM »
6.The Club at Hokulia: Big Island. Hokulia is south of the town of Kailua and south of the other high-end private clubs. It is a special place in its own private little playground. This Nicklaus ocean-front course sits on the side of a hill, so the views are magnificent. The par fours standout. The only one that doesn’t satisfy is the par four eighteenth hole. It is simply a hole that gets you up the hill back to the clubhouse. After the round we sat in their little outdoor dining area and watched the sunset. The entire day was memorable. If I lived there I would join in a heartbeat. I enjoyed the course just as much the second and third times I played it. It is one of my wife’s favorite courses anywhere. Update. In 2017 the club built a much-needed clubhouse and locker rooms. It was tastefully done and complements a day on the course.

My long suffering bride of fifty years

7. The Challenge at Manele: Lanai.  Nicklaus built the course on the side of a hill and ocean views on most of the holes. The par fives are particularly good and the par three 12th and the par four 17th are as theatrical as any holes can be. I have played Manele four times over the years and like the Plantation course I appreciate the entire course more each time I play it. We did not stay on the island but took the ferry from Lahaina on Maui. Update. New owner, Larry Ellison, spent some money on conditioning. It is in better shape than it has been for years.
Manele 12

8. King Kamehameha CC: Maui. This Ted Robinson course is the only 18-hole private club on Maui.  It is perched on the edge of one of the West Maui Mountains, Mauna Kahalawai, with bi-coastal views. The course is at an elevation of about 750 feet. The wind always blows and is one of the features of the course. Because of the omnipresent wind, it is vital to use the ground on most of the holes. The views of the mountain and ocean set this course apart. This course was a total surprise, because I virtually knew nothing about it. The golf does not disappoint and the experience is worth the trip.

The 70,000 square foot behemoth of a clubhouse, based on a design by Frank Lloyd Wright, however, is way over the top. Compared to the delightful clubhouses at Nanea, Kuki’o, and Hokulia it misses the mark. It belongs in Hollywood not Maui.

9. Wailea Gold: Maui. This is a golfer’s course. While it is in a resort, the course feels as though you are away from the madding crowd.  Bring your “A” game. The course looks like it should be easy to score on, but it demands good execution on the shots into the green. I really like this course. Robert Trent Jones Jr. (RTJ Jr.) did a wonderful job building a resort course that is playable for everyone but demanding for the low handicapper.

10. Princeville Makai: Kauai. The first time I played this RTJ Jr. gem I disliked it. I must have played it blindfolded. It is exceptional. The holes along the ocean are simply brilliant. I even drove the cliffside 14th green and putted for an eagle! Missed. The terrain is rolling, and the bunkering is omnipresent. The start and finish, however, are not as strong as the rest of the course. Update. The recent renovation by Robert Trent Jones Jr. features the introduction of Seashore Paspalum turf grass on to all fairways and greens. Additionally, he reconfigured the greens complexes and green surrounds, and reshaped the bunkers.
Makai

11.Makena Golf and Beach Club: Maui. (North) 
        12 Makena South (NLE) The resort was built with Japanese money in the mid 80’s. A downturn of the Japanese markets in the early 2000’s and the 2008 American hiccup crippled the resort. In 2010 Discovery Land Co. purchased the resort and put a bunch of money into it. Both courses were designed by RTJ Jr. I had played the North Course in 2001 years ago and it was in pristine condition. In 2010 conditions were awful. Times were tough for Makena. The South Course tried to go private but closed. Only a few holes by the ocean are being maintained at all. Like the Wailea Gold the North Course is a player’s course. In 2010 the conditioning was spotty but the bones of the course were still evident. There are rumors about Discovery Land Co. reopening the South Course. I hope it happens because it is a particularly good course. Update. In 2013, former design associate for Tom Fazio, Dennis Wise, completely renovated the course. It is better than it ever was.

13.The Ocean Course at Hokuala: Kauai formerly Kauai Lagoons This Nicklaus design has some incomparable holes along the ocean. In fact, it has the longest stretch of ocean front holes in Hawaii. It also has some forgettable inland holes. I did hit my best back to back shots ever on the drivable par four 16th. The ocean inlet runs along the left side of the hole, with the fairway diminishing to five yards wide just short of the peninsula green. I hit my tee shot into the Bermuda rough on the left side about forty yards short of the green. The pin was back left with water short, left, and long. I hit a 60-degree wedge to the lip where it hung but didn’t fall. It took two hops and sat still. The first time, when I was ten years younger, I drove the green. Update. Formerly a 27 hole course, Nicklaus took the best 18 and closed the other nine. The first half of the course is set in a tropical paradise. The back nine is coastal.

Hokuala

HokualaThis is where I stuffed my 60 degree wedge. Good shot Tommy!

14.Mauna Kea: Hapuna Course: Big Island. I almost didn’t play this course because I knew nothing about it. My wife and I liked it so much that we played it twice. It is the sister course of Mauna Kea and is a Palmer design. It is away from the ocean but has ocean views because it is one the side of a mt. It puts a premium on driving and is very windy. It played hard and the wind made the course difficult. It made me think all the way around. Update. We played the course this spring and found the course to be in wonderful condition. The Hapuna Prince Hotel is now under the Westin umbrella and is being fully renovated. We stayed there this time. Hapuna Beach is the best beach on the island. Fine sand and on the edges a good place to snorkel.
Hapuna
Hapuna

15. Wailea Emerald: Maui.  This is the charming RTJ Jr. sister of the Gold Course. It is fun for the low handicapper and very playable for the high handicapper. It has wide corridors and large greens and is one of my wife’s favorite courses on Maui. She feels that it is “woman friendly.” Like the Gold, the player feels isolated from the resort. I am not crazy about plantings on a course, but the flora on this course is striking and adds to the enjoyment of the round.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:19:35 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »
16. Poipu: Kauai.The last ocean-front cliff-side holes of this RTJ Jr. course are by far the best. The rest of the course is playable but lacks architectural substance. Poipu is a fun resort and a good place for the family, but not a place I’d stay for the golf.

Poipu

17. Experience at Koele (NLE): Lanai.I like this course, partly because it is so very different from any of the other Hawaiian courses and partly because it is fun with a bunch of risk reward shots.  The most famous hole is 17 that plunges a couple hundred feet from tee to fairway. The back nine is about 2000 feet above sea level and is forested with trees that you would expect to find on any mainland mountain course. I first played this course about 20 years ago. It was perfectly conditioned.  I couldn’t believe the difference a few years made. The fairways were thin, grass non-existent in places, the bunkers lacked sand, and the greens were bumpy. It isn’t a great course but coupled with Manele it is a great way to spend a day. Update. Unfortunately, Larry Ellison closed the course. It is a shame because it worked so well as a sister course to Manele.

18. Wailea Blue: Maui. The Blue is the most playable of the courses at Wailea but well worth your time. Don’t forego the Gold or Emerald to play it though. They are a better test.

19. Royal Kaanapali: Maui. This course suffers because it is just down the road from the Plantation Course.  The first six holes seem like they are on flat uninteresting ground. Looks deceive. This a difficult course with very large greens. It lacks the beauty or drama of some of the other courses but is a strong test. The 18th hole might be one of the best holes on the island.

20. Puakea: Kauai. On an island that has some pricy golf, this Robin Nelson public course is a good option. It is not on the ocean but plays over and around some vast gullies with mountain views. It feels tropical and lush. It is well bunkered off the tee so bring your straight ball. The conditioning isn't stellar but good enough for the round to be enjoyable.

Drop shot par three on Puakea

21.Kiahuna GC: This RTJ Jr. public course on Kauai will not disappoint. It has great rolling terrain with interesting greens complexes. Conditioning is ok but not great. The course demands good shot making skills but will not beat up a high handicapper. Kiahuna

22.Makalei GC: Big Island.Makalei GC resides on the western slope of the Hualalai Mt. and is one of the hilliest courses I've ever played. I wonder if Dick Nugent ever had a more difficult site.Most holes go either uphill or downhill. Not many run along the side of the mt. Pulling the right club was an adventure. It vaunts a 1000 vertical foot rise from 1800 to 2800 feet. The views were just stunning. The fairways were in good condition, but the greens were a little stressed. The course is undergoing some remodeling. Many of the sand bunkers are being changed to grass bunkers. I think it is a good move for them. Sand bunkers are expensive to maintain. Makalei is very much a local's course. I am glad they have such a lovely place to play. This is also a peacock’s playground. They are everywhere.
MakaleiPeacocks everywhere

23. Kona CC: Big Island. A Billy Bell course and a pretty good option with some nice ocean front holes. Generally, it is in fine condition. It formerly had 36 holes of which 18 holes were closed.

24. Makani GC: Big Island. Formerly Big Island CC, this course has fallen on hard times. It is Perry Dye design with the perfunctory island green. I have to say, though, that I really enjoyed the course. It sits about 2000 feet above sea level with sweeping views of the Pacific. It is quite different from most of the Big Island courses. I enjoyed the course but did not find it architecturally compelling. The 18th hole, though, is a terrific finishing hole. Update. Played it again this year and while they are doing some renovation to the lake, the fairways were in dreadful condition. Too bad. It is a genuinely nice option on the Big Island.
Makani

Peacocks everywhere

25. Kahili GC:Kauai. This is the public sister of King Kam designed by Robin Nelson and Rodney Wright. It lacks some of the dramatic beauty of King Kam but is very good nonetheless. It is well bunkered and meanders over some remarkably interesting terrain. At less than $100 it is one of the better bargains on Maui.

26. Mauna Lani South:Big Island. 
       27. Mauna Lani North
Both Robin Nelson courses were a disappointment. I found the terrain uninteresting and, except for the famed par three 15th on the South Course, both courses lack character. The lava was interesting to look at but really did not add to the shot values.

28. Kapalua Bay:
Maui.  I like this course. I have played it twice. I really enjoyed it the first time but the second time it left me wanting more. The course just didn’t deliver what it could have, but is built on some remarkably interesting ground. It is close to being very good but in its present form it misses the mark.

29. Wailua: Kauai. Wailua is the only municipal course on Kauai. It is a bargain, along the ocean, and a pleasant place to spend a morning, but don’t go looking for an architecturally memorable course.

30.Kaanapali Kai: Maui. This course isn’t in the higher echelon of Hawaiian golf, but it is great fun. The day I played it the wind howled and I had to hit some extraordinary shots into the smallish greens. I did something there I had never done before—I made 18 straight pars.

31.Waimea GC (NLE): Big Island. (2010)  We drove past this course by accident. We thought, “let’s play it.” I have to say I enjoyed the round and it has some very good holes. The conditioning was not particularly good, but I would play it again. I would like to see it with the ponds full of water and the greens with grass on it. It has the bones of a surprisingly good test. The terrain is remarkably interesting and plays both uphill, downhill, and across the hills, making for some demanding shots. Update. Waimea unfortunatelyclosed between our last two visits. It was not in a good location. There were not enough locals to support it being situated between Hilo and Kailua.

32. Waikoloa Kings: Big Island.The RTJ Jr. Kings is the stronger of the two courses at Waikoloa, but neither are places you should go out of your way to play.
        33. Waikoloa Beach. Play the Kings and skip this RTJ Jr. one.

34.Hualalai: Hualalai (Nicklaus): Big Island.  This is my biggest disappointment in Hawaii. The seniors play and event here and I looked forward to playing it. It is just dreadful. Nicklaus should give his fee back. The terrain is ok, but the design lacked interest. Nicklaus left big outcroppings of lava and called playing around them strategy. No strategy is required. Just hit it, hunt it, and hit it again. After 6 holes I could not wait to be done. Even the par three 17th, which is along the water, is boring. Eighteen might be the best hole on the course. But that is only compared to the other boring holes. I did not play the private Ke’olu Course (Weiskopf), which receives mixed reviews.

Volcano: Big Island.Play this only for its location. It is ok but, on a golf-rich island don’t go out of your way to play it. It is one of the only courses to occupy land owned by a National Park. Arthur Jack Snyder designed it in the 60’s.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:03:59 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
Thanks much, Tommy - that was an excellent post and re-cap, especially since it's a golf destination I know (and read, even here) so little about. Surprising given the number of courses there and the undeniable beauty.
Peter

Greg Gilson

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »
Tommy, thanks for putting this together. Interesting & informative. What are your favourites on Oahu?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »
Tommy, thanks for putting this together. Interesting & informative. What are your favourites on Oahu?

Greg, I have not played golf on Oahu. In fact I have been only to the airport. I will have to rectify that, but I think this will be my last trip.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:29:57 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Greg Gilson

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:44:19 AM »

Thanks Tommy. I have not played as many in Hawaii as you but about half on your list. Your photos & stories about Plantation, Kukio, Nanea ...and Princeville (bless its soul!) bring back many happy memories. The pickings on Oahu are far slimmer (& more expensive) based on my experience but I am always getting asked for recommendations there.

Enjoy your next visit. all the best.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:33:47 AM »
Tommy,

Thank you for putting the time in to help all of us in planning a trip to paradise.  Question - without going through the whole list how many are private vs. public?  I have heard of both Nanea and Kuki’o and are on my list but there are other hidden gems here as well and will refer back to this before any Hawaii trip.  Thanks again.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
Tommy,

Thank you for putting the time in to help all of us in planning a trip to paradise.  Question - without going through the whole list how many are private vs. public?  I have heard of both Nanea and Kuki’o and are on my list but there are other hidden gems here as well and will refer back to this before any Hawaii trip.  Thanks again.
Nanea, Kuki'o, Hokulia, Hualalai (the private course) and Kohanaiki on the Big Island are private. Kim Kamehaha On Maui is private. King Kam accepts guests and I think a call from your home pro would give you access to Hokulia.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:30:21 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »

Hi Tommy...fun list!  I have not played on Oahu either through about 8 trips to Hawaii (did the WW2 tourism thing as a young teen), although I'd like to acquaint myself with Oahu golf-wise some year.

I find my opinions pretty close to yours with a few nits to pick, although much of it is because my experience is about 15 courses total.

My top three would be Kukio/Nanea/Plantation, but the order depends on the day.  Plantation is probably #3 most days.  I have not played the Challenge, but plan to play Mauna Kea in November.  I have played Kukui'ula, and it makes a case for state #4.  I have a higher opinion than you of Wailua after about 5 plays, as I think it's really a gem.  One can get caught up in the "its a gem for the money" argument, but I've always thought it's really neat outside of that. 
I have not seen Kohanaiki or Hokulia yet, so not sure how they fit.

I like Poipu more than most, but I think you have it well-placed in the pecking order.  I played Hualalai a couple years ago, and I agree it's a bit of a dumb-blonde type, but it was a nice place to play.

The Prince is a conundrum for me...beautiful, wacky, wild...maybe only a good match-play venue?  I couldn't get my head around it in terms of fairness, but I'm not sure that being fair was the goal!  I only played it once, and it was during the Northeast US golf off-season, so I had a very tough time.

On the order of locals, the Dunes at Maui Lani is worth a try (think Maui's version of Puakea), and so is Pukalani partway up Haleakala.  There's a neat par three there where you can choose a green on the far side of a canyon carry, or an alternate green down in the canyon itself...bet you can't resist hitting a tee shot to both!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
Would hardly call Hawaii a "golf destination".
Unless you're an Asian tourist going somewhere for "Golden Week".

Lots of well-conditioned average golf courses with views of the water.
I've played on Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Lanai.

Some exceptions certainly like: Waialae Country Club, Plantation Course, closing few holes at Poipu, etc.
But, overall, you can't beat the weather and that's why you go to Hawaii....;-)

On a list of 20 destinations to play golf, Hawaii would be 18, 19 or 20 for me right above Myrtle Beach.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:43:05 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »

Maybe so Ian, but who goes to Hawaii solely for the golf?

It's a FANTASTIC place to visit with an interesting culture and some unparalleled natural sites to visit.

As for places to have your family or your wife along, and play a few rounds of interesting golf close-by to where your family is hanging out...I'd argue that it's among the BEST places in the world for a golfer to visit!

As a buddy golf trip, the best golf is private and the plane ride is long, even from the West Coast, so probably not so great.  However, for the guy with a family that wants fun activities, good food, and some golf on the side, it's near perfect.

I'd take it in a second over either Disney, for instance...long plane ride aside.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:02:39 AM by Brad Tufts »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
@ Brad.
I agree with you. I have been many times and have enjoyed every trip.
Learned to surf (badly) there.
Caught and ate some great fish.
Incredible hiking on Kauai.

But the golf is akin to Florida resorts with better topography.
I put it (the golf) in the same category as:

Palm Springs
Algarve in Portugal
Puerto Vallarta
Cabo
Hilton Head
Orlando

Over-priced cart-balling that takes 4:35 to play on a good day.

And, since this is a site dedicated to GCA and not family vacation tourism... ;D ...my snarkiness has its place.... ;)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
My wife plays so we play in the morning and beach in the pm with sightseeing thrown in the mix. I actually love the golf there, not necessarily for the architectural merit but for the total experience. There are so many heroic shots that it is fun.
St. John of the Cross

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »

Ha...fair enough, and it's all good.  Was defending it only because I'm in the time of life where adding golf to family vacations is where it's at.  If I had no family, I'd surely be going to GCA-approved destinations only, much like I did from college to age 30.

I dunno, there have been times in the past that I've ridden the snark train, but as golf time has grown more short I've gotten more ok with 4:30 of cartball on vacation.  If I wasn't ok with that and I still wanted to travel for golf, could I only go to Bandon/Sand Valley/Streamsong/Cabot?  While those places are great, we already know those places inside and out.

Tommy's post clearly took a while, and it's a place I've spent lots of time, so I'm not going to dismiss it so quickly!

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
Thanks Tommy for this overview.  I have not played many of the courses at the top of your list. 

I did spend a week on Oahu and recall it as the worst island for golf.  The big names are Waialae and Turtle Bay.  I liked Waialae but would put it in the same realm as Poipu.  I only played the Fazio course at Turtle Bay.  It was extremely wide and not incredibly memorable.

Beyond that, there were a number of courses that cater to locals that were relatively crowded and pretty pedestrian.

Finally,, there were two jungle courses - Koolou and Royal Hawaiian (or Luana Hills - the name seems to change).  Both of those courses are terrible golf courses with a large number of forced carries and very severe terrain.  The setting for both courses are spectacular and worth experiencing to visit a special location.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:46:17 AM by Jason Topp »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »

Yeah Jason...that's what I've heard about Oahu golf.  My dad knows a member at WCC so he has played it...he has said its just not that memorable, although I'm sure TD is trying to inject some of that back into the place.

I have only seen Koolau from the Pali Lookout (like 2000' above?) and it looks insane.  My dad has played it a few times and he always reminds that the price is right, and he loves the "will a T-Rex will wander out of the jungle?" aspect. 

Simper has played Luana Hills a handful of times and liked it, but it looks like lots of irons off tees to me from photos.

See you Monday!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »
I played Makena last year and it was really good, and in terrific condition.  Not sure how accessible it is, but they did accomodate me as a rater with about a month lead time.  The fairways are all paspalum, and in late July, early August, they were firm, fast, and apparently very durable.  I played with an assistant pro who was driving his cart right up to the green.  When I asked about cart policies, he told me "no real policy other than don't drive on the greens.  This grass is really durable, and you'll be one of maybe ten people on the golf course today".  It is Discovery Land and all that entails, including the comfort station well stocked with just about everything you'd want, including fresh sashimi. 

As for the course itself, generous playing corridors, strong greens and complexes, and it's up and down hillside Hawaii golf, so great views of Molokini on just about every hole.  It plays mostly across the hillside, though there are a couple of pretty big tee to fairway drops, especially on the par 5 14th.  Definitely a lot of fun.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
Great summary.  Played most all of those courses as well.  One course I would beg to differ with would be Kukio.  The comfort stations are off the charts - a 12 on a 1-10 scale.  However, the golf course is about a Doak 6.  Many of the holes are like playing in a half pipe (everything kicks back to the middle).  Lots of style and impressive landscaping but lacks strategy and substance. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
Great summary.  Played most all of those courses as well.  One course I would beg to differ with would be Kukio.  The comfort stations are off the charts - a 12 on a 1-10 scale.  However, the golf course is about a Doak 6.  Many of the holes are like playing in a half pipe (everything kicks back to the middle).  Lots of style and impressive landscaping but lacks strategy and substance.

After one play on a course like Kuki'o I find it difficult be objective. Everything about the place is so tastefully done, the course is so stunning, and I shot 77. I thought the shots off the tee were extremely forgivable but the shots into the greens required thought. Then again, I was ranking them on the total experience not the architecture alone.
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »

Some exceptions certainly like: Waialae Country Club, Plantation Course, closing few holes at Poipu, etc.

On a list of 20 destinations to play golf, Hawaii would be 18, 19 or 20 for me right above Myrtle Beach.

Ian, Few places I go I stick to one spot. When I go on a golf vacation, I'm a different hotel every night. In Hawaii you can be in the same hotel and play a dozen different courses. There are some other places I might put ahead of Hawaii that are not resorts, Like the UK or Ireland, or the Costa Del Sol, or the Algarve, but it is tough to beat Hawaii for consistency and beauty, which is part of the experience.
St. John of the Cross

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »

Ian, Few places I go I stick to one spot. When I go on a golf vacation, I'm a different hotel every night. In Hawaii you can be in the same hotel and play a dozen different courses. There are some other places I might put ahead of Hawaii that are not resorts, Like the UK or Ireland, or the Costa Del Sol, or the Algarve, but it is tough to beat Hawaii for consistency and beauty, which is part of the experience.

Oh, I agree 92% with what you say.
And, if this were a Condé Nast travelers blog, I would be right there with you....😉

But since it’s all about GCa, and since the state of Hawaii is Long on beauty and short on noteworthy golf courses,
We can have a playful dispute on the merits of the courses in the isLands.

[/size][size=78%]Most would be Doak 3-5s. Cart paths, lava, water views....but great condition and a chill time for sure.[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Awesome for families and high up there for an all purpose vacation with a couple rounds thrown in there to break up the fun...😉[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]But, a s a pure golf destination....pass.[/size]

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Timely post as I just moved to Hawaii (arrived yesterday).

I'm on Oahu.  If folks are coming out this way and want to play feel free to let me know.  I've yet to determine where I'll play my golf (have to figure out where we'll live first).

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »
I have played three military courses on Oahu and enjoyed them all. Kaneohe on the North Shore Marine base has some holes in the dunes with ocean views. Mamala Bay at Hickam AFB is lined with palms with ocean views. Leilehua is up the woods with tree lined fairways and smooth greens(at least when I played). I think two out of the three allow public play with Hickam requiring a sponsor.
I also enjoyed Koolau with the jungle feel and changes in elevation and forced carries.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »

I also enjoyed Koolau with the jungle feel and changes in elevation and forced carries.

I have heard so many things about Koolau. Is it really as tough as advertised?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:22:02 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back