News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Hurricane Florence
« on: September 12, 2018, 01:14:42 AM »
So what courses are going to get smacked with this thing??? 

I imagine this is going to be hard on the marshland designs of that area???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:26:22 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:42:41 AM »
So what courses are going to get smacked with this thing??? 

I imagine this is going to be hard on the marshland designs of that area???

Eagle Point.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
I would guess that the golf courses and strip clubs of Myrtle Beach are rather nervous right now.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
I would expect every course in Wilmington, NC to have serious damage -- they are calling for 30+ inches of rain. There will be trees down everywhere, and likely saltwater deluges that may kill all the grass on some holes or entire courses.

A lot of the courses on the Grand Strand will see significant damage as well -- the ones close to the coast/intracoastal waterway may have some holes underwater, but they will likely all have trees down. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple of Myrtle Beach courses that never re-open following the storm. It's not supposed to rain as much there, though, so that will be helpful to the area.

Courses in and around Charleston (especially ones near the water like Kiawah) will likely see damage, and could have holes underwater from storm surge. Even Hilton Head could see some significant damage if the current forecast holds.

My family has a beach house at Ocean Isle Beach, NC -- I'm expecting significant damage and for the island to look very different the next time I visit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:34:06 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
I would expect every course in Wilmington, NC to have serious damage -- they are calling for 30+ inches of rain. There will be trees down everywhere, and likely saltwater deluges that may kill all the grass on some holes or entire courses.

A lot of the courses on the Grand Strand will see significant damage as well -- the ones close to the coast/intracoastal waterway may have some holes underwater, but they will likely all have trees down. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple of Myrtle Beach courses that never re-open following the storm. It's not supposed to rain as much there, though, so that will be helpful to the area.

Courses in and around Charleston (especially ones near the water like Kiawah) will likely see damage, and could have holes underwater from storm surge. Even Hilton Head could see some significant damage if the current forecast holds.

My family has a beach house at Ocean Isle Beach, NC -- I'm expect significant damage and for the island to look very different the next time I visit.

Ed-I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the Southport/Oak Island area not very far from Ocean Isle. Good luck weathering Florence.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
I'll give a report from Charlotte on Wednesday. Supposed to get ~8 inches of rain there this weekend. I think things will be fine for the Mid-Am itself, which officially starts next Saturday.

Brian Finn

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:46:35 PM »
I'll give a report from Charlotte on Wednesday. Supposed to get ~8 inches of rain there this weekend. I think things will be fine for the Mid-Am itself, which officially starts next Saturday.
Matt,

Congrats on qualifying for the mid-am.  I'll be at Carolina volunteering on Sat & Sun, and will look out for you.

The worst of the rain is just about to reach us here in CLT, and while we're anticipating insane amounts of rain, it obviously won't be anything compared to what the coast is experiencing. hopefully both CCC and CGC hold up well. They're both in top notch condition heading into the storm.  I saw Matthew out on the course last night, right after he met with the USGA, and he's doing everything he can to help his baby through it. I'm sure the same IRS for the greenkeeper at Charlotte.

If you're interested in following the best CLT weatherman before you arrive, check out @wxbrad (Brad Panovich). Matthew (@cgcgreenkeeper) is a great follow in general, and especially heading into the event.

My thoughts are with everyone in the coastal regions. I hope everyone stays safe.

PS. This site shows up to date rainfall amounts.

http://finslive.mecklenburgcountync.gov/finslive/?gauge=rain&period=PT24H

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:50:01 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Matt Wharton

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »
Good evening all!

Carolina Golf Club has received 6.76 inches rainfall courtesy of Florence as of 6:00 pm this evening.  Our irrigation lake has filled to full pond (was approximately 5 feet below capacity prior to storm; 7.5 surface acres).  The strong sustained winds has littered the course with lots of small debris and one pine tree located right of No. 5 has come down. 

Overall we are very fortunate compared to several courses located in South Charlotte (Carmel CC, TPC Piper Glen, and Raintree have shared photos of significant flooding).  It will take a couple days to clean up the debris before we can resume mowing and course prep for the upcoming Mid Am.  Sorry, but I do not have any info about host course Charlotte CC at this time.

Hope that helps,
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Jay Mickle

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 08:57:42 PM »
 With 10 to 15 inches of rain in the Pinehurst area over the last couple of days the opening of Pinehurst #4 will surely be delayed. Scheduled for later this week I expect it’ll probably be a few more weeks before we see Gil‘s new work.   
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

John Foley

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
Jay - how did the rest of the area fare? Heading down w/ a group of 8 on the 26th. Waiting to see how the clean up progresses.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Matt OBrien

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »
Matt,

Congrats on qualifying for the mid-am.  I'll be at Carolina volunteering on Sat & Sun, and will look out for you.

The worst of the rain is just about to reach us here in CLT, and while we're anticipating insane amounts of rain, it obviously won't be anything compared to what the coast is experiencing. hopefully both CCC and CGC hold up well. They're both in top notch condition heading into the storm.  I saw Matthew out on the course last night, right after he met with the USGA, and he's doing everything he can to help his baby through it. I'm sure the same IRS for the greenkeeper at Charlotte.

If you're interested in following the best CLT weatherman before you arrive, check out @wxbrad (Brad Panovich). Matthew (@cgcgreenkeeper) is a great follow in general, and especially heading into the event.

My thoughts are with everyone in the coastal regions. I hope everyone stays safe.

PS. This site shows up to date rainfall amounts.

http://finslive.mecklenburgcountync.gov/finslive/?gauge=rain&period=PT24H

I will be at the Mid-Am as well. I hope the courses will drain over the next few days.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
Jay - how did the rest of the area fare? Heading down w/ a group of 8 on the 26th. Waiting to see how the clean up progresses.

Don't know where you are playing but damage seemed manageable considering the volume of rain. Wind were not excessive. A few large trees are down. Tobacco Road opens tomorrow, The Cradle opened today. Seems that Mid Pines and Pine Needles are taking tee times tomorrow. Conditions should be fine as the sand absorbs so well.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
Jay - I'm very glad that at least some of the Carolinas (including the Pinehurst area) came through this okay. That Mid Pines and Pine Needles can recover so quickly is surely a sign that Providence had long anticipated golf being played there.
Best
Peter 

Matt Wharton

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:13:41 PM »
The grand total from Florence at Carolina Golf Club was 7.16 inches rainfall.  We cleaned up storm debris all day and managed to double mow greens (single cut this am, single cut after lunch).  We even had a few members show up and assist with the storm clean up!  Today’s weather was most cooperative with sunny skies and some wind, drying things sufficiently to permit a full course mow tomorrow (one day sooner than I would have anticipated). 

Cheers,
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 08:31:07 AM »
Carmel CC in Charlotte will be closed for a few days! Pic from a friend, not sure who took it.

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 08:36:11 AM »
Guys - thanks for the details. I'll call my courses later this week but fingers crossed that our group can make it down and spend some of $$ to help the recovery efforts!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
Any word on Eagle Point?
Mr Hurricane

Ed Oden

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
Carmel CC in Charlotte will be closed for a few days! Pic from a friend, not sure who took it.

Carmel was definitely hit very hard - 6 greens entirely submerged, at least one of which will need to be replaced, and numerous bunkers washed out.  It's hard to find a silver lining, but both Charlotte CC and Carolina GC seem to have avoided catastrophic damage with the US Mid Am just a few days away.  For that we are blessed.

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jay Mickle

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »
Pinehurst #4 debuts today.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 09:49:52 PM »
At Charlotte CC today, absolutely impossible to tell that anything had happened. The course is perfect.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 06:58:18 AM »
Any word on Eagle Point?
Read an article that Eagle Point will be closed for 3-5 weeks, some 500 trees down on property, no mention of flooding.
Landfall fared reasonably well, however, low lying areas are flooded.
Wilmington Muni lost many trees, tbd damage as roads around the property are were unpassable at the time of writing.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 10:21:38 PM »
Carolina GC also looks amazing:

For those interested, my photo albums from this week:

Old Town: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqrSKMP
Charlotte: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnX6AT1
Carolina: https://flic.kr/s/aHskF2uckx

It's been a great week so far but it really starts on Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:29:25 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back