News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

Tam O'Shanter Golf Club (Canton, OH) will close all 36 holes on November 4, 2018.  The courses were designed by Leonard Macomber and and opened in 1928 (Dales) and (1931) Dales.  I played them several years ago and remember them to have terrific greens, a very hilly site and tremendous routings.

This will be the third Macomber course to close in the area as Green Hills GC (Kent, OH) a nine hole course closed several years ago.

I photographed all 36 holes and if some interest, I can dig them up and post some photos.

As stated above, if interested, they close on November 4, 2018.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180829/final-round-tam-o-shanter-golf-course-closing-nov-4

https://www.tamoshantergolf.com/

BHoover

I played both courses all the time in junior high and high school. It’s a shame to see Tam O’Shanter close, but there had been rumors for several years about at least one of the courses closing and using the land for housing development.

JLahrman

Only played there a couple of times, in 2002 when I had an internship in the area. I can't remember many specifics about the courses at this point but I do remember enjoying playing there.

Chris_Blakely

Yes, I have heard the same for many years that they were talking of closing at least one.  The courses are on a very hilly piece of property and it is a big loss to the Canton area public gofer.

Chris

Joe Zucker

I don't think the golf architecture world will suffer much by losing these courses.  Very little there was of interest in that respect.  However, I completely agree that this is sad for the local players.  They were simple courses at an affordable price with a good location.  A great place to play as a kid or casual golfer looking for a weekend round. 

JLahrman

I don't think the golf architecture world will suffer much by losing these courses.  Very little there was of interest in that respect.  However, I completely agree that this is sad for the local players.  They were simple courses at an affordable price with a good location.  A great place to play as a kid or casual golfer looking for a weekend round.

Very true, and this could be copy and pasted on a bunch of course closing threads that we've seen lately. If I hadn't had several local places to play as a kid that had little of architectural interest but offered affordable prices and convenient locations, I never would have played the game enough to care as an adult that a course like this has shut down.

DFarron

Very sad...played in the Ohio Open there a couple of times, Canton is a great golf town.....

Chris_Blakely

Thanks for your comments.  However, I would not call the courses simple.  I think of the manny mom and pop
Courses that dot Ohio as simple.  No one will mistake the courses for Inverness or Brookside.

Chris

Joe Zucker

Thanks for your comments.  However, I would not call the courses simple.  I think of the manny mom and pop
Courses that dot Ohio as simple.  No one will mistake the courses for Inverness or Brookside.

Chris

I'm not sure what the right word is.  Maybe simple isn't it, but I don't remember the courses being remarkable in any way.  I would rate it a Doak 3.  Nothing outstanding you have to see, but nothing offensive to architectural taste either.  I don't remember terrific greens, but like you, it's been years since I've seen it so maybe my memory is faulty. 

Tim_Weiman

Lived right down the street for a year while working as Terminal Manager for Standard Oil and played Tam O Shanter many times.

Agree that there was nothing special architecturally, but it was an enjoyable place for local public venue golfers.

Sad to hear about this.

Tim Weiman

Evan Fleisher

Agree with many of the sentiments here.  Played the Dales course (my one and only time) back in 2016.  Decent local, public golf but nothing architecturally will be missed.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back