News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Did Ross Envision Such Deep Rough Around Bunkers?
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
In watching the tournament this week it seemed to me that the rough around the fairway as well as the greenside bunkers was really deep which would prevent a good percentage of balls from rolling into them.  Is this the way Ross thought they should play, should the closely mowed turf run closer to the bunkers?

Tom_Doak

Re: Did Ross Envision Such Deep Rough Around Bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »
I don't think Donald Ross visualized that the rough on a golf course would ever get to be very thick.  In those days it didn't get any irrigation or any fertilizer.  You didn't have to use lightweight fairway mowers on the aprons of bunkers, because the grass wasn't thick enough to stop many balls anyway.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
So the thick rough stops balls from going in the bunkers and really is contrary to what Ross envisioned and would limit the number of balls going into the bunkers.  Although with today's professionals unless they are under the lip of the bunker they are probably happier hitting out of a bunker than the thick rough.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »
This American foible has been a pet peeve for evah. When I ask I am told the rough perimeter reduces water and therefore dirt infiltration and that is why it is ubiquitous.

All one has to do is play once in the UK to see the contrast. Not only that; it makes the effective area of the bunker larger. I still dont get why we behave the way we do sometimes
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back