News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Re: Reigniting the "Best College Courses" Discussion (v.2018)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 11:44:50 PM »
Taconic - If ever a course fit a school and athletic conference, that's it.

Right on campus, spectacular restoration by Hanse, enough to put a few talented and intelligent candidates over the line to go D3 at one of the best schools in the country instead of chasing a D1 dream . . . Perhaps.

More importantly, a great college course can be a reason to bring passionate and affluent alumni back to campus where they're more likely to open their checkbook! Especially at schools that don't have that massive D1 college football (or maybe hoops) draw.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 03:20:38 AM »
Vaughn - how do you think the University of Iowa course does on this front?  It is a classic 60's design (in both the good and bad sense of the term) on nice land that I always enjoy but would never recommend that an architecture enthusiast seek out.  It seems to me that it enhances the university but I have no idea whether it is a financial asset or liability.  At a minimum, I would think it rakes in money during football games.
Finkbine!  I am a U of Iowa alum and enjoyed this course.  Dr. Tom Davis used to live on the course, last house on the right before Morman Trek on Melrose.  It is owned by the U of I athletic department and home to the golf teams.  Over 7000 yards and plays quite tough, although I have never played from the back.  Relatively flat and too many trees. It was designed by a guy I never heard of then or even know Robert Harris back in the 50's.  One thing Finkbine was known for is hosting the Amana Pro-Am up until 1990 which was the company, which was based in Iowa, would take their salespeople and pair them with celebrities as a reward.  They had large crowds, but this is Iowa and especially back then what else are you going to do? 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V_Halyard

Re: Reigniting the "Best College Courses" Discussion (v.2018) New
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
Vaughn - how do you think the University of Iowa course does on this front?  It is a classic 60's design (in both the good and bad sense of the term) on nice land that I always enjoy but would never recommend that an architecture enthusiast seek out.  It seems to me that it enhances the university but I have no idea whether it is a financial asset or liability.  At a minimum, I would think it rakes in money during football games.
Funny you should ask. Was discussing this thread with our pal Steve G. As you know, he is not very opinionated. #sarcasm... He recently played Finkbine and had some "strong" words, especially given he is a U of Iowa alum. To paraphrase (PG Rating), we agreed that it is 'ripe for a scrape' especially given the architectural activities of some of its peers EG, UMich, Perdue, Ohio State. Northwestern has access to top clubs and the U of I has some access to CRCC but that is 20+ miles and their actual home course is a bit of a... "dog" in comparison to the Big Ten peers. There is not much architectural significance and the tree growth is... prevalent. I think some have been preaching to get some improvements but from the outside looking in, it seems like there is a tree preservation movement.  Some of this very conversation has been bubbling up into the U of I Alumni Golfer Community so there may be more discussion to follow. It should be a prototype for next generation architectural improvements at a public university with a strong sporting booster community.

Steve's actual comments are available on the Director's Cut of this Post - Rated "M" for Mature
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:00:49 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:30 PM »
The river course of Virginia tech was remodeled by Pete Dye quite recently I believe.  Out and back figure eight routing along a river with many typical Dye features.  Seems to get overlooked since it is 20 mins from campus. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 01:11:03 AM »
Stanford was really nice. Played many years ago before redo. For a while they had a neat looking practice area that may be NLE.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:03:08 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
With respect to Finkbine, I'd be surprised if much renovation is done in the near future. They had an extensive re-do of the greens not that long ago and, going back further, the fairways were converted to bent grass. I'm guessing it does pretty well with local play plus university events. It's a must do for me every time I return to Iowa City.

Like Jason, I wouldn't rate Finkbine as any kind of architectural gem, but I very much enjoy playing it. While I admit to some nostalgia (in my day, $7 student rates at twilight!), it holds up to provide a nice day on the course, particularly in autumn.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
With respect to Finkbine, I'd be surprised if much renovation is done in the near future. They had an extensive re-do of the greens not that long ago and, going back further, the fairways were converted to bent grass. I'm guessing it does pretty well with local play plus university events. It's a must do for me every time I return to Iowa City.

Like Jason, I wouldn't rate Finkbine as any kind of architectural gem, but I very much enjoy playing it. While I admit to some nostalgia (in my day, $7 student rates at twilight!), it holds up to provide a nice day on the course, particularly in autumn.
Have they started on the new clubhouse yet?  It is supposed to be a very big upgrade for the facility with locker rooms and banquet facility.  Go Hawks!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V_Halyard

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »

Finkbine is overdue. Its become a tree farm.  Not to mention the work done at Perdue, Wis/University Ridge, Michigan's Mck-Well, OSU Scarlet and the other D1 Courses. You and Schley should keep your phones on!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2018, 11:25:29 PM »
The joys of a well nurtured democratic golf culture, cannot be overstated. The camaraderie and the sportsmanship can be like a religion. Rituals and all. Save for the death to the other guy bit. 

Perhaps a guide on how to create a proper golf culture, would help this list in the distant future?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back