News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Phillips

Re: Scotland
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
I once did Kingsbarns in the morning, Carnoustie in the afternoon, then drove straight to Turnberry that evening for 36 the next day.  Other than the snoring of my 'just off the redeye' buddy in the passenger seat the drive was fine.  If I read your posts properly it sounds like you are playing TOC, so this will be a truly epic trip.

I think that Ayrshire is underrated by this group.  Prestwick alone is worth the trip...for me TOC and North Berwick are the only others offering comparable historic interest (to be clear if your colleagues prefer Shinny to NGLA they will find Prestwick frustrating).  Royal Troon is exceedingly solid and Turnberry is arguably the most spectacular of all the Scottish venues.  Echo the views above that if you can add Western Gailes or Dundonald to the Ayrshire itinerary you will not be disappointed.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »
The smartest logistical move I made was stopping to play Kings at Gleneagles on my way from Turnberry to St. Andrews.

Agree with this...if time and money allow, Gleneagles is a stunning hotel and the King's course provides fantastic variety vs. the links you'll be playing.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »
Jim

If your guys really want brute toughness, there are only four in Scotland which meet the requirement--Carnoustie, Troon, The Old Course and Trump International--from the back tees.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you and your pals will be able to play those courses (maybe except Carnoustie or Trump) from the back tees (if you say pretty please!). For contrast, played from the "daily" tees, TOC and Troon are just a driver and a wedge for strong players on most holes.

But then again, if your posse is amenable to playing quirky places like Dornoch, North Berwick, Prestwick and Cruden Bay and keep their drivers in the Bus, they'll learn and love how the game is played here.  The real problem you have is how to mix brutality and quirk without spending most of your days on the road.

I'd vote for bedding into Ayrshire, and not only because it was my initiation into Scottish Golf.

Regardless, enjoy!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 03:11:42 AM »
If your guys really want brute toughness, there are only four in Scotland which meet the requirement--Carnoustie, Troon, The Old Course and Trump International--from the back tees.

I'd be inclined to add Royal Aberdeen to The Rich's list. They're unlikely to let you play from the back tees but then again when the Walker Cup, British Seniors and Scottish Open were held at RA the participants didn't play from the back tees either.
atb

V_Halyard

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »

I do despair each time such threads pop up. Its like saying 'I am going on a weeks trip to the US and want to play NGLA, Pebble Beach, Pine Valley, Doral, Bandon and Colonial. Will be landing at JFK and hiring a car. Any advice?' Duhh ??? ::) :P ;D

Why do so much travelling at all?

If you want to do Dornoch than stay in the area and add Brora, Golspie, Tain, Fortrose, Nairn, Castle Stuart, Wick.

If Cruden Bay then Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Royal Aberdeen, Murcar

If Turnberry, then Prestwick, any of the Gailes, both Troon courses, Dundonald.

If Carnoustie then play Burnside, Montrose, St.Andrews

Take your time to enjoy what the area has to offer.

Of course if it is a belt notching exercise why bother asking as the list is well known
I don't disagree but as one who had the trip of a life doing exactly what saddens you, I will tell you that from my US perspective, great golf in Scotland is a prevalent as playgrounds are in the US. With my short window, I had a ball binging, hopscotching and changing plans when we were lucky enough to be playing Brora and Dornoch on the same day we learned that we hit the St. Andrews Only Course 48 hour Lotto.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »
The first one.
Agree and would at least add Golspie
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
It's all very subjective, but I was just over there and, knowing what I know now, I would play Dornoch multiple times, and then add Brora, Tain and Golspie. Not sure how good the Carnegie Club is at Skibo, but it's also right there and I saw they are accepting some public play. Every course I played in Scotland was really, really fun, but Dornoch was in a league of its own.

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
"Not sure how good the Carnegie Club is at Skibo, but it's also right there and I saw they are accepting some public play."

Dan C. -

I got to play Skibo for the first time in May as a guest of a member. It is a very scenic spot.

The front-9 is quite good, but the back-9 is a bit of a letdown. The "public play" guest rate, which I believe includes a very nice lunch, is very pricey.

DT 

http://www.carnegieclub.co.uk/public-tee-times-skibo-championship-links.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:44:22 PM by David_Tepper »

V_Halyard

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
Call me stupid but one of the other guys and myself are going two days early to play Dornoch and Cruden Bay and meeting the others when they land.
Not a damn thing stupid about it.

Bob Montle

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
Jon,
It all depends on why you are in Scotland!
On my last trip (my fourth) my better half and I only played The New Course, Fraserburgh, Hopewell, Brora and Machrihanish over an eight day period.  (she had to fly home, while I stayed another week.)

We were in Scotland as tourists and we wanted to equally experience 1) the golf, 2) the music and 3) the history and landscape.  Yes there was a lot of driving but we stopped "to smell the roses" every step of the way, and never felt rushed at any time.

We visited castles (Urquhart, Donnottar, Eilean Donan, Kilchurn and Huntley), museums in Anstruther and Fraserburgh, music in Anstruther and Perth and memorable meals in Inverness, Oban and Tarbert.
The standing stones on Arran were worth the trip there despite the quirky 12 hole course being closed for a tournament. (Can't remember the name, blast it!)

I've been on golf trips where it is nothing but all day golf every day and that is fine, but as I get older I enjoy the total experience more.  I'm amazed every trip at the wonderful inexpensive bed and breakfasts and the friendly folk everywhere you turn.

"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »
Jon,
It all depends on why you are in Scotland!

Bob,

I think that was my point. There are countless threads started by people asking opinions on their proposed itinerary. These are more often than not a list of the big names including and given away by including the 'American Resort Courses'. When it is suggested that they will be spending more time driving than golfing the answer is usually 'but google maps says.....' and when suggestions come about playing some of the lesser known but more authentic courses the answer is usually 'I would really love to play these courses but the other guys in my group won't go for it.....'

I too would want to play a few of the bigger names if visiting another country but always play the majority of my golf on the lesser knowns which I find give that better feel for the culture of the country's golf. So especially if I was an American visiting the 'Home of Golf' I would want to experience the culture of that golf and not just upper end courses offering the style hospitality I get at home.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back