News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Scotland
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
Cruden Bay, Dornoch, Nairn, and Brora or Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick, and Carnoustie? Trying to set up a trip and can do either set.
Mr Hurricane

Daryl David

Re: Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »
The first one.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
If you do the first on you get 2 TD favs and 2 JW favs.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »
Jim -

If you do the first group, other very worthwhile options along the way (starting at Cruden Bay) are Fraserburgh, Duff House Royal, Moray Old, Castle Stuart, Fortrose, Tain & Golspie.

You could not go wrong playing any of those courses.

DT

Andy Shulman

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »

I'd go with the second list if it was my first trip to Scotland, but otherwise the first group that includes Dornoch.

I'll also add that each set of four courses reads like an SAT question that asks you to identify the word (or in this case, the course) that doesn't belong.  On the first list, all but Nairn have very high fun factors.  On the second, all but Carnoustie are in close proximity on Scotland's west coast.  To address that, I'd consider substituting Golspie or Castle Stuart for Nairn and Western Gailles in place of Carnoustie.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:57:32 PM by Andy Shulman »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:04:46 AM »
On the second, all but Carnoustie are in close proximity on Scotland's west coast. 
THis.  What's Carnoustie doing in that second group?  Why, of all the East coast courses, add Carnoustie?  Why not stay on the West coast.

But I'd play the first, anyway.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:08:34 AM »
On the second, all but Carnoustie are in close proximity on Scotland's west coast. 
THis.  What's Carnoustie doing in that second group?  Why, of all the East coast courses, add Carnoustie?  Why not stay on the West coast.

But I'd play the first, anyway.

+1

I'd play the first group as well.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 04:44:50 AM »

I do despair each time such threads pop up. Its like saying 'I am going on a weeks trip to the US and want to play NGLA, Pebble Beach, Pine Valley, Doral, Bandon and Colonial. Will be landing at JFK and hiring a car. Any advice?' Duhh ??? ::) :P ;D

Why do so much travelling at all?

If you want to do Dornoch than stay in the area and add Brora, Golspie, Tain, Fortrose, Nairn, Castle Stuart, Wick.

If Cruden Bay then Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Royal Aberdeen, Murcar

If Turnberry, then Prestwick, any of the Gailes, both Troon courses, Dundonald.

If Carnoustie then play Burnside, Montrose, St.Andrews

Take your time to enjoy what the area has to offer.

Of course if it is a belt notching exercise why bother asking as the list is well known

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 05:28:38 AM »
Jon

I’d normally agree with you but then on a bucket list type of golf tour to the US a few years back I spent the best part of a day each way travelling between San Francisco and Monterey. And that’s the thing when you are making a trip you’ve only dreamed of and you don’t know if you’ll get the chance to repeat it, you happily take on that kind of tour to play the courses you really want to play.

Jim

I’m sure you’ll have a great experience no matter which line-up you choose. I can well understand why you want to play Carnoustie after the recent Open. Yes, it is on the other side of the country but it’s a relatively straightforward drive with motorway and dual carriage way nearly all the way, and depending where you are staying, you could do it in two and a half to three hours.

Re Nairn – clearly Andy didn’t fancy the course or had a bad experience but it’s as good as any course in the north of Scotland and there is loads of fun to be had. No different to any other course – do your best and just accept the slings and arrows.

Niall

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
Different experiences for sure.
Three Open rota venues in "Group 2" which means more of an "institutional tourist experience" rather than a personal one.

Are you looking to check the boxes at world-renowned venues? Or, do you seek a more intimate adventure?

Remember, when you go to places like Troon, you check in, are identified as a visitor, then asked to turn left to where the rest of the visitors are while members and their guests turn right into the real club.

While I have not been to Turnberry since 1999, I would imagine that the Trump resort customer service is gold-plated and all are equally paying $350 for the playing privilege.

I think you will find a real contrast in your "group 1". Not only will total greens fees be less than half of your "group 2", you will also be at more intimate venues where you can get the sense of what it is like at "real Scottish golf club".

So, what are YOU looking for?

Brock Lynch

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »

I do despair each time such threads pop up. Its like saying 'I am going on a weeks trip to the US and want to play NGLA, Pebble Beach, Pine Valley, Doral, Bandon and Colonial. Will be landing at JFK and hiring a car. Any advice?' Duhh ??? ::) :P ;D

If you want to do Dornoch than stay in the area and add Brora, Golspie, Tain, Fortrose, Nairn, Castle Stuart, Wick.

Of course if it is a belt notching exercise why bother asking as the list is well known

Agree 100%

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »

Last time I checked, the US was substantially bigger than Scotland so your analogy of driving from Doral to Pebble is silly. I get that it makes more sense to stay in one place, but driving isn't an issue to me.

I have played the rota courses. This is a first time trip for everyone else going. Unfortunately, I am being out voted and will miss Dornoch et al again.

I have played Carnoustie and Turnberry on each of my trips and it was not that big a deal driving. The only requirement is The Old Course for these guys.
Mr Hurricane

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »

Last time I checked, the US was substantially bigger than Scotland so your analogy of driving from Doral to Pebble is silly. I get that it makes more sense to stay in one place, but driving isn't an issue to me.

I have played the rota courses. This is a first time trip for everyone else going. Unfortunately, I am being out voted and will miss Dornoch et al again.

I have played Carnoustie and Turnberry on each of my trips and it was not that big a deal driving. The only requirement is The Old Course for these guys.

Jim , easy now...

Jon is extremely knowledgable about Scottish golf and his "statement" that you cite was (I'm sure) meant as purposeful  hyperbole. If you seek input, then please accept it when others take their time to address your needs.

Otherwise, you can always just "Google it"...;-)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »

Jim , easy now...

Jon is extremely knowledgable about Scottish golf and his "statement" that you cite was (I'm sure) meant as purposeful  hyperbole. If you seek input, then please accept it when others take their time to address your needs.

I appreciate the input. Maybe put a :-) next to it next time. I guess the "Duhh" struck me wrong. And, as I said, I understand the benefits of staying in  a central place. I am not sure how many times these guys will head over to Scotland. I don't know how many more times I will head over. I am not sure if these guys qualify as "belt notchers", but they are all good players and would prefer Shinnecock to National. They want the test is my feeling.
Mr Hurricane

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Jim -

I think you answered your own question.
If your pals "prefer Shinnecock to National", then go the rota route.

Maybe skip Prestwick and add TOC when you drive east.
Besides, you are more likely to have avaialble caddies at the marquee venues.

Have a great time.
Cheers.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »

Jim , easy now...

I appreciate the input. Maybe put a :-) next to it next time. I guess the "Duhh" struck me wrong. And, as I said, I understand the benefits of staying in  a central place. I am not sure how many times these guys will head over to Scotland. I don't know how many more times I will head over. I am not sure if these guys qualify as "belt notchers", but they are all good players and would prefer Shinnecock to National. They want the test is my feeling.

Jim,

sorry the 'Duhh' rubbed you up the wrong way I thought the FOUR emojis were enough to show I was being a little bit OTT. I know that the USA is slightly bigger than Scotland but I also know what is on the map and what is in reality are very different things when it comes to driving on our roads. Still, if you want to spend half your time enjoying a game of 'dodge the pothole' please don't let me get in the way.

Knock yourself out

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
 :)

First world problems.

I suspect my friend Jim was trying to use his post to sway some others, as opposed to providing info for himself. And I suspect my other friend Jon was offering reasonable advice, based on local knowledge, knowing there is no wrong answer when it comes to golf in Scotland.

I hope the experience these problems myself in approximately 3-4 years.....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »

Jim , easy now...

Jim,

sorry the 'Duhh' rubbed you up the wrong way I thought the FOUR emojis were enough to show I was being a little bit OTT. I know that the USA is slightly bigger than Scotland but I also know what is on the map and what is in reality are very different things when it comes to driving on our roads. Still, if you want to spend half your time enjoying a game of 'dodge the pothole' please don't let me get in the way.

Knock yourself out

All good Jon. I guess I saw the first two and missed the last two. It looks we are doing the rota version which is fine with me. At least I will have a little local knowledge on the courses. Haha.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
Call me stupid but one of the other guys and myself are going two days early to play Dornoch and Cruden Bay and meeting the others when they land.
Mr Hurricane

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 04:01:39 PM »
Jim F. -

What time of year are you planning to make this trip?

DT

P.S. Figure the drive between Cruden Bay and Dornoch will take you 3+ hours.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:05:22 PM by David_Tepper »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
Call me stupid but one of the other guys and myself are going two days early to play Dornoch and Cruden Bay and meeting the others when they land.

I will call you the smartest one in your group!!

Mr. Tepper and I will both be there in mid-September.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 05:38:57 PM »

Jim,

might I suggest if you do this play the one course then overnight at Cullen and play there early morning before going for a late afternoon time at the other. This would break up the journey and give you a chance to enjoy one of the more unique courses Scotland has to offer.

Peter Flory

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 11:17:34 PM »

I agree with you.  If you haven't been there and you are scoping it out on the internet, the distance between courses can be very misleading.  Everything out there takes longer than you think and the driving is very stressful if you aren't used to it.  Most of the rental cars are manual (left hand stick) which is an experience too. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
Ok stupid!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt MacIver

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »
The smartest logistical move I made was stopping to play Kings at Gleneagles on my way from Turnberry to St. Andrews.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back