News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Using the Confidential Guides to decide where to visit
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
If I could play just one list it would be the second hundred classic courses according to Golfweek. 

Bogey

PLUS ONE.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cal Seifert

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
What amazes me is that everyone on this site seems to know the exact number of courses they have played. I haven’t a clue (although I did keep a giant wall map of the UK with tiny stickers coloured for quality until I was about 16).

Keep the pencils from the round :)

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:27 PM »
What amazes me is that everyone on this site seems to know the exact number of courses they have played. I haven’t a clue (although I did keep a giant wall map of the UK with tiny stickers coloured for quality until I was about 16).

Keep the pencils from the round :)

Or a blank scorecard.

JHoulihan

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
I have made 4-5 trips spread over multiple states/cities with others to a single resort. My two most recent trips have been made since reading and referring to the recently published Confidential guide volume 1through 3. I have not ever chosen a destination based on reading, but instead choosing what airports to use and the possible courses worth playing before or after the "cannot miss" course of the trip.

Trip one was Colorado/Nebraska in 2017. I would not have visited a course like Bayside NE without reading the course profiles.
Trip two was Wisconsin/Illinois in 2018. I had heard of Lawsonia WI but am unsure I would have made a plan to visit for the second day without reading the guide and online posts about it.

Could you just open the book and use it like a "dartboard" yes, but is it the best use of Tom and Ran's opinions no.

Justin

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
My first overseas trips I was merely tagging along with my host/hosts but eventually I morphed into Jim Finnegan's enchanting descriptive guidebooks which were like a Bible. That and a good map were essentials.

How did we ever survive without the internet?
My first trip to Scotland in 1998 was planned with the help of Dan King's "Scotland on My Mind" trip report which was posted to GolfWeb's architecture group - that group/forum was the precursor to GCA.  That web site lent me to Finnegan's book Blasted Heath and Blessed Greens.  It was because of Dan King's report that I went to Cruden Bay as he raved about the course.

I am thinking about a trip to England in the future and Vol 1 of the CG is a wealth of information about English courses.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
My first overseas trips I was merely tagging along with my host/hosts but eventually I morphed into Jim Finnegan's enchanting descriptive guidebooks which were like a Bible. That and a good map were essentials.

How did we ever survive without the internet?
My first trip to Scotland in 1998 was planned with the help of Dan King's "Scotland on My Mind" trip report which was posted to GolfWeb's architecture group - that group/forum was the precursor to GCA.  That web site lent me to Finnegan's book Blasted Heath and Blessed Greens.  It was because of Dan King's report that I went to Cruden Bay as he raved about the course.

I am thinking about a trip to England in the future and Vol 1 of the CG is a wealth of information about English courses.

Is this the Dan King of the "King's Putter" fame????
There were online forums back in 1998?? :o
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Is this the Dan King of the "King's Putter" fame? ???
There were online forums back in 1998?? :o

Yes, that Dan King.

The first time I heard of such a group was when a few of the participants asked me to come and speak to them while they were in northern Michigan.  I gave them a slide show.  I don't remember exactly when that was, but probably 1997 or 98 ... definitely before Pacific Dunes.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
He's still around too.

We chat and share posts on FB on occasion!  I wish he'd come back to GCA, but suspect he's moved along like most of the old vets  ;)

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
I look at a bunch of sources when trying to determine where to play - my personal golf network, this site, other sites and The Confidential Guide.

To me it is a tool in determining where to play - or the hierarchy of my wish list - when I'm somewhere new. But it isn't the only tool.

My feeling is that there are lots of really good to great places. I like seeing all kinds of courses and am not a strict list chaser. That said, I hate being let down and playing somewhere that kind of stinks. Reference materials like The Confidential Guide help me from making a mistake and seeing a place that isn't good. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »
I'm with Warne & Shelman. CG is a great resource, but not the only one to use. Obviously, it's going to be a more comprehensive look at some areas than others.

For example, I'm looking for a round in Kansas City. KCCC has an event. Nothing else mentioned in the CG seems all that interesting, but Tom didn't mention Staley Farms. From reading on here, seems like that might be the most interesting choice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back