News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Both 9th and 18th Par 3
« on: July 25, 2018, 04:27:08 PM »
I know that there have been good threads about courses with a Par 3 as the 18th hole.  It struck me as very unusual that at Brora both the 9th and 18th are Par 3s.  I do not think it has an impact on the quality of the architecture or an effect on matches given the 9th after all is in the middle of the round.  However, I am curious if there are other courses that close both 9s with a Par 3.

Thanks,

Ira

Michael Blake

Re: Both 9th and 18th Par 3
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »
Fox Hollow in Somerset County, NJ close both nines with a par 3.

IIRC, they’re basically parallel to each other and both are a similar downhill shot over water.

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Alisal Ranch Course - one of the first full size 18 hole courses I ever played!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »
Oak Hills CC in San Antonio.  3's are also parallel.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »

Bogey

Bogey-What about Glen's Falls CC man!?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 05:48:10 PM »
Paramount CC

Fox Hollow

Must've been something in my bathwater. ::)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
Midvale CC and Brook Lea CC in Rochester NY.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
Paramount CC

Fox Hollow

Must've been something in my bathwater. ::)

Steve-Paramount has a great collection of par three's especially #18 which is a wonderful version of a "Reef" hole. I'm a big fan of Paramount.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »
The Lakes in Sydney - site of this years Australian Open.A freeway went through the original course and the repositioned clubhouse and routing of the freeway made it almost impossible to do anything else.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
The Ivanhoe course at Cottonwood in San Diego has par 3 finishers on both 9’s. It’s much easier to have a dramatic swing in a match on a par 3, which keeps hope alive! I played many rounds at the muni in Southampton UK which had both 9’s start with par 3’s and much prefer to finish than start with them.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
Curious about the age of the original clubhouse or location of the clubhouse at the courses (only if both nines return to the house).
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 03:26:39 AM »
Castleknock Resort in Dublin Ireland has both par 3s in front of clubhouse and over water to a double green.

http://castleknockgolfclub.ie/course-info/scorecard/

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 03:40:05 AM »
Island Course at Singapore GCC. Two parallel holes with a great viewing point behind/above both greens.
atb

Richard Fisher

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 03:45:26 AM »
Harlech. Both the 9th (181 yards off the back tee, to a sloping green in the front of the duneline), at the far end of the course from the 18th (202 yards), flat to a large green once almost surrounded by sand but less bunkered now. The 18th is often cited as a disappointing end without any sparkle, compared to what has gone before, although it remains a very good match-play hole in events like the Home Internationals, where much can happen.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 06:51:14 AM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
Castleknock Resort in Dublin Ireland has both par 3s in front of clubhouse and over water to a double green.

http://castleknockgolfclub.ie/course-info/scorecard/

Geez, I played Castleknock only a few years ago and did not remember when I started the thread.  Shows what getting old does to me.  I should remember.  We played in a scramble put together by the Gaelic Players Association as part of the All Irelands Finals Weekend, and because my wife was the only woman, they paired us with a former South of Ireland Amateur Open champion and a very fine local high school player.  Both wonderful guys.  We needed a birdie on 18 for a gross 61 net 60, but alas came up short.  Our partners insisted that my wife putt whenever we had a makeable birdie putt; I think she made 5 or 6 birdies--the guys hit it pretty darn close.

Ira

Kyle Harris

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 08:05:02 AM »
The criminally under-discussed West Shirt CC in the Harrisburg, PA area.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »

Maybe we can get the place some notoriety by holding a Wes T Shirt contest.......

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »

Bogey

Forgive me Tim since the 9th doesn't return to the clubhouse.  Perhaps the topic for another thread, but I still maintain the course would be better suited to start with the present 18th.  Glens Falls is aces in my book, but I could do without: 1) the uphill/blind opening tee shot over a tad of water; 2) the truncated 16th due to the road crossing that results in a long walk-back to the tee and awkward dogleg near to the green, not to mention taking the large fairway depression virtually out of play; and 3) an indifferent finisher with a green that looks a tad out of place and a walk-back to the clubhouse for a beverage.  Top 100 otherwise.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »

Bogey

Forgive me Tim since the 9th doesn't return to the clubhouse.  Perhaps the topic for another thread, but I still maintain the course would be better suited to start with the present 18th.  Glens Falls is aces in my book, but I could do without: 1) the uphill/blind opening tee shot over a tad of water; 2) the truncated 16th due to the road crossing that results in a long walk-back to the tee and awkward dogleg near to the green, not to mention taking the large fairway depression virtually out of play; and 3) an indifferent finisher with a green that looks a tad out of place and a walk-back to the clubhouse for a beverage.  Top 100 otherwise.

Mike

Bogey-I liked the opener but agree on the par 3 18th.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »

Good call.  It slipped by my memory!

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/WestShore/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David McIntosh

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
Fortrose & Rosemarkie is another with par 3s at the end of each 9. It’s a nice course which I played on the way to Buda this year.

The 9th was brutally difficult, uphill, straight into the teeth of a strong wind. Needless to say driver was required but I didn’t get anywhere near the green.

The 18th was also a tough hole from an elevated tee with the clubhouse only a few paces beyond the green.

Both holes are just under 200 yards from the members tees but played a lot longer than that when I visited.

Doug Wright

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »
Fox Acres GC in the Colorado mountains west of Fort Collins has par 3 9th and 18th holes. I think this was a home made course by its former owner, actually pretty decent including a green that is an excellent replica of ANGC #14.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Steve Wilson

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »
Preston Country Club in Kingwood West Virginia.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
Not quite #1 & #18 as par-3's, but watching the Women's British Open at Royal Lytham today I noticed that #1 & #9 are par 3-'s. That is pretty unique as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back