News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert West

Cape Cod (National)
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:52:02 PM »
It  seems that there hasn't been much of a thread about it in a while but perhaps I'm just missing it and would love to be pointed to right link but I have some questions about golf on The Cape. I will be staying in Truro in September as my lady has a job up there for the weekend so I will certainly be hitting at least 18 at Highland. But where else should I explore? It's too early in the season to make a trip to Sankaty as I am not a member and I'd rather not take a ferry anyway due to time constraints. I'm looking at Cranberry Valley but does anyone have any experience at Cape Cod National? We have a night after Truro to move to a different hotel if we like and so I'm wondering about the value. Staying at the Wequassett Resort makes it about a $400+ round, and while I'm sure it will be quite a beautiful stay, I have my doubts. Does the course merit such a price? It will be a treat to be up there with no responsibility and I love New England in September after everyone goes home. But I wonder if anything else up there comes close. The help I received from this forum about our trip to West Virginia was invaluable (thanks again Carl) so I look to the awesome wisdom of this forum for another adventure.  Again local knowledge can be compensated with S&S cheesecakes if so desired.  ;D

RDecker

Re: Cape Cod (National)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
If you can make it out to Buzzard's Bay Kittansett is fantastic, worth the drive for sure.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
Cape Cod National is a good, solid, but somewhat forgettable Brian Silva course on a pleasant piece of land. That was my quick take, but on the other hand, I'd played Eastward Ho! the day before and not many courses stack up with that one in terms of bold terrain and memorability. 

The Wequassett is a first-rate resort that underwent a $40m renovation a couple of years ago--in my experience, the rooms, food and service left little to be desired. My second-story deck had a great view of E. Ho! from across the bay. A nice place to wake up, to put it mildly.

Is CCN worth $400+? No, but that's not what they're charging for Wequassett guests, either. I think the best way to look at it is that it's a great perk to take advantage of if you really want to stay at the Wequassett (which I'd totally recommend, though it is on the expensive side). CCN is well-designed and nicely maintained, and during a Sept. visit you probably have a good shot of having it to yourself.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »
..... I love New England in September after everyone goes home.

this is your key.  get on the phone and call the places you want to play.  cape clubs are rather accommodating from labor day to memorial day.  more will say yes than no.  free money to them.

Robert West

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »
That's great info Mark. I always feel a little out of sorts calling country clubs like that as I am not currently a member of one myself, perhaps I Will say i would be interested in seeing the course for myself (which I would be). I just don't want to lead them on and make it seem like I am a potential applicant, cause I'm not. I just have to assume there is another worthy course up there beyond highland links that I can get on? No? I understand the Cape is similar to my hometown NYC in the availability of quality public golf but if my bar is Marine Park or Dyker Beach, surely something else will keep me occupied. Have you (or anyone) had any good experiences at Atlantic country club, Ballymeade or how bout the Reese jones at Pinehills? I have never been to Cape Cod as an adult so I am quite excited?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,201.0.html

This still pretty much covers it. The Nicklaus course on the North side of The Cape has been upgraded and the Rees Jones course in Falmouth seems interesting since this was posted.

As mentioned, The Cape is very friendly to a letter or two in the off-season.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
Played a couple days ago as it was donated from a charity auction and I was impressed with the course conditions.  They were very good.  The fairways were fast and bunkers in good shape although one had way too much sand like a sandbox, probably just added the day or so before. The course is a bit tricky with 4-5 blind tee shots and the caddies we had were college kids who although hustled weren’t the type to give much advice as our member had to leave after 11 holes due to a work emergency. 

The property is secluded and tucked into wooded area and could use some overhanging branches removed on at least 2 holes I can remember.  What I did really like is the fairway bunkers are mostly on one side or another with one side being a safe side, although farther from the hole generally.  Also they were fairly narrow and long so didn’t dominate the mid line of the fairway. 

Two things about the Cape. 

#1 - Traffic always seems to be terrible to get there for there is only basically 1 two lane bridge depending on how far in you go.

#2 - Ticks are in the fescue even as a kid I remember going there for several summers, and the host warned us again to check our legs after getting out of the fescue.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Andy Ryall

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
I grew up going to Dennis which is mid-Cape.   My vote for public choices would be Captains -- 36 holes and probably about 25-30 min from Truro.  I would pass on the Dennis Highlands option but Dennis Pines I felt was a decent public option and gives you the Cape feel with the sand and bayberry pines.   None probably stand up to the privates being mentioned but you could do a lot worse.

Mike Feeney

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
"Have you (or anyone) had any good experiences at Atlantic country club, Ballymeade or how bout the Reese jones at Pinehills?"

GCA delights, on Cape, are all private - Eastward Ho!, Oyster Harbors, & Hyannisport. Kittansett in this class but not on Cape (Marion, MA)

Seems like you are looking for public Cape golf.  Yes, there are options...all better, IMHO, than Ballymeade & Atlantic.

Cranberry Valley - good
Captains (2 courses) - good
Bayberry - better than previous 2 and I understand they just spend $$ on a refresh (haven't seen the refresh)
Cape Cod Country Club -- 15 holes of very entertaining golf...last 3 holes weak. I prefer over previous 3. Volcano par 4 14th a favorite of mine. Longish ride from Truro, tho.
Ocean Edge is a resort with an entertaining golf course...I believe open to public in Sept. -- over-priced but enjoyable
Dennis Pines - good, a mite boring

Pinehills both courses excellent (Jones better than Nicklaus course)...but, not on Cape, in Plymouth...a long drive (1.5 hours) from Truro

Doug Wright

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
What about Bass River in Yarmouth? I played it as a kid and really liked it. There was a very good par 3 course there too.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »
If you are looking for good public golf on the cape Captains & Cranberry Valley are head and shoulders above the rest.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back