News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Eder

Re: Shennecossett GC (Donald Ross) | Photo Tour & Review (Groton, CT)
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 01:50:29 PM »
Thank you for a very nice write-up and wonderful photos. It looks like a wonderful course to play. Well done!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
In a cold night in CT, I thought people might enjoy a bunch of these historical articles :

http://www.shennygolf.com/shenny_history.asp

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
If mother nature cooperates the word on the street is that the pins will be back in by the end of the week. Winter rate to walk is $20 which is one of the premier bargains in golf. Fingers and toes are crossed.

Mike Sweeney

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:46:59 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
Nice article by Tony Pioppi:

http://anthonypioppi.com/golf/golf/personalities/141/great-municipal-golf-part-1-shennecossett-golf-course

Cool old painting - too big to post

http://sat.gmncdn.com/Blogs/anthonypioppi/files/2011/08/1919-Shennecossett-course-rendering.jpg

Great article for what is truly a municipal gem. I played there last week and wondered why I had waited so long to get back since the spring. The old boards in the pro shop contain a who`s who of great golf names going back 100 years. Although the purists may decry the loss of a few Ross holes Mark Mungeam did a very good job with the land he was given. The picture provided here is of the 16 green which is new courtesy of Mungeam and one of the prettier spots in golf. If you are lucky you may catch a submarine making it`s way out of the Thames River heading for L.I. sound. Finish up in a great little bar/restaurant with a homemade chowder which is different every day and Guinness on tap. As Larry David likes to say"what`s not to like"?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 07:45:05 AM »
Played yesterday with three members and I really loved the course. "Dave" was 75 and now has broken his age a number of times. Everyone walked, and no buggy politics!

The super had the course in great condition - firm, brownish and not too over the top.

The second play really brought out the great vibe of the course and the people. Highly recommended, Doak 7 in my view and at $42 for an out of towner, it is a bargain.

Played Bethpage Red the week before and it would 8 to 2 Shenny in the 10 round splits of life....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:48:29 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
 BTW the super is Eric Morrison, who was an occasional poster.  Might want to PM him to let him know the great job he does with lots of play.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
Shenny is a super fun round of golf. If you have the chance to play it, by all means do so. Going back through this thread makes me want to get back there next summer.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
 BTW the super is Eric Morrison, who was an occasional poster.  Might want to PM him to let him know the great job he does with lots of play.

Thanks for reminding me. Eric and I messaged each other and the Supers that are doing a great job with a reasonable/limited budget need to be celebrated here.

Jon Claydon

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
Bumping this:  I will be out in this neck of the woods at the end of the month and was considering checking out this seaside Ross. 

Has anyone played it recently?

Thanks,
Jon 

Rob Rigg

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
Hi Jon,
I played Shenny a couple of weeks ago and it was an absolutely brilliant walk. The super and his 3 man crew do any amazing job. The conditioning isn't Augusta, but the bones of the course are really special and the it's easy to imagine how the course would play with a little more love. It was reminiscent of some of the courses I've played in Ireland from a conditioning standpoint.

Curious as to what you think after playing the course, but I felt like the "new" 3 hole section closer to the water was a bit out of character with the rest of the course. Super fond memories of some really great stretches on the course. I'd be shocked if you didn't thoroughly enjoy it and for $50 it's the best deal in the state.
Cheers,
Rob

Jon Claydon

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
Thanks Rob.  Much appreciated.  Very good to hear.  I plan on taking my dad to play one morning and will report back! 

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »
Played it Monday -Tuesfay.
The way all courses should be maintained.
Ball running-greens great.
Great place.
A shame weve strayed so far and more course arent presented this way
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:51:57 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
Shenny is awesome. I got to tag along with Tim Gerrish of Mungeam Cornish Golf Design, at the time, for my first ever site visit at Shennecossett. It was my junior spring in college 2008, and I was an intern for Mark and Tim up in Uxbridge, Mass that semester which changed the course of my life. I think I still have the plan I got to carry around with my pencil notes on it in my office! What a cool course, looking up the hill to the par 3-4th was quite eye opening. We met Eric Morrison who has been looking after Ross' course for years, and he showed us some of the old aerials... I need to get back there soon.

... also if you are going to check out Shenny, I would check out Fenwick too if you can squeeze in another 9 close by. Lloyd Cole wrote a great piece in the first McKellar, and Tony Pioppi has suggested it here on gca numerous times too.

Adam T

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 10:37:46 PM »
Jon,
I grew up in central CT and have played 52 courses in the Nutmeg State. After all these years, Shenny is still my absolute favorite. Experiencing the course for the first time in 2007 inspired me to learn more about course architecture, leading me here. My most recent round in mid-June of this year may have been my favorite. A two week drought provided our group with countless options for ground game shots. The sea breeze was both refreshing and daunting.
And, FWIW, though not the popular opinion on this form, I actually always enjoy the three modern holes. What they lack for in 'Ross-masterpiece-greens' they make up for in scenic views, and countless ways to play both your tee and approach shots.

Enjoy! I'm jealous you'll be there while we sweat it out in NC.
-Adam

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

And, FWIW, though not the popular opinion on this form, I actually always enjoy the three modern holes. What they lack for in 'Ross-masterpiece-greens' they make up for in scenic views, and countless ways to play both your tee and approach shots.

-Adam

Adam,
I never played the missing three holes, but to add two holes along the bay and delete three other inland holes seems like a pretty good trade.
15 is a decent par 3, 16 has some demanding quirk- and a great water view, 17 same and is a decent hole.
Can't say any of the three holes is bad and the greens are quite good-and the views are good and breezy

Was 14 hole 17 before? seems a long walk to 18 tee

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam T

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Yes. Current #14 was #17 previously. However, #18 was played as a par 4, so the walk from tee to green was not so severe. The Shennecossett website has some excellent historical sections. Here's a scorecard from the 1980's.
http://www.groton-ct.gov/depts/parksrec/shenny/images/shenny/scorecards/Full/scorecard4.jpghttp://www.groton-ct.gov/depts/parksrec/shenny/images/shenny/scorecards/Full/scorecard4a.jpg
History: http://www.groton-ct.gov/depts/parksrec/shenny/shenny_history.asp

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back