News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Which is your favorite par 5 on the Open Rota with OB?
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
Candidates include:

* 14 at The Old Course
* 6 at Carnoustie
* 16 at Hoylake
* 9 at Muirfield
* 14 at St. George's

To be honest, I like all of them A LOT. I haven't seen any one in the past five years in person, so I don't have a strong opinion, though Long at St. Andrews surely possesses the best green.

Every time one comes on TV, I find a new appreciation for this sort hole. Certainly watching 6 at Carnoustie has been very entertaining this week, with its mix of eagle putts and putts to avoid a triple!

What say you? If you don't have a favorite, do you have a least favorite of the 5 above? If so, why?

Best,

Joe Andriole

Re: Which is your favorite par 5 on the Open Rota with OB?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
Overall I'd say 14 at RSG but since the 16th at Hoylake is played as the ultimate hole it gets extra credit.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »
The 18th at Carnoustie was once a par-5's. The 18th at Royal Birkdale was as well.
atb
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:21:07 PM by Thomas Dai »

Doug Hodgson

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
For the overall quality of the hole I would say 14 StA.  For the way the strategy of the hole makes use of the OB I'd say 16 RL.

Doug Hodgson

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »
Just to go OB a bit and expand the parameters:  Perhaps the most curious instance of OB on a Par 5 that I have seen anywhere is the current 18th at Banff Springs.  If you are willing to risk bouncing your drive off the entrance road you could wind up with a short iron to the green for your 2nd shot

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
Hell bunker will be GUR during the Senior Open next week, will make the hole much easier if the wind blows against.
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
Maybe I'm not watching closely enough, but my favourite Open OB does not exist, as I cannot remember any decent elite golfer hitting OB during an Open.  Any of us idiots could slice off the 14th tee at TOC or duck hook on the 6th at Carnoustie.  We could and will continue to do many worse things, but that has nothing to do to any Open.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
Maybe I'm not watching closely enough, but my favourite Open OB does not exist, as I cannot remember any decent elite golfer hitting OB during an Open.  Any of us idiots could slice off the 14th tee at TOC or duck hook on the 6th at Carnoustie.  We could and will continue to do many worse things, but that has nothing to do to any Open.

I saw Darren Clarke hit his tee shot OB on Hogan's Alley in the 2007 Open, but that was on a practice day, tbf.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
There have been several drives hit OOB in this Open.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
Yep, hasn't happened for 5 or 6 hours. Your memory is getting short as your birthdayites worsens? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

James Reader

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »

Didn’t DJ hit his 2nd OOB on the 14th at RSG when leading the 2011 Open?

Doug Hodgson

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
Yes that shot cost DJ the tournament.  It was incredible to watch. 

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »
Is the 9th at Muirfield played as a 5 or a 4?I like it because there is not much ob preceding it.And it feels so tempting to bail oit,which you can't do so much on 6 at Carnoustie

Joe Zucker

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 12:45:29 AM »
Rickie hit it out today as well.  I haven't played many of holes noted, but I have played #6 at Carnoustie.  It's a great hole, but a little disappointing for the pros.  The OB isn't much of an issue because they can carry the bunkers on the right. If the hole were 30 yards longer or playing into the win, the strategy of the tee shot would be a lot more fun to watch.  Hogan's ally would actually be a place you might aim.  As it played today, the modern ball has neutered the challenge and every one bombs it right..

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 06:02:28 AM »
Is the 9th at Muirfield played as a 5 or a 4?I like it because there is not much ob preceding it.And it feels so tempting to bail oit,which you can't do so much on 6 at Carnoustie
It played as a par 5 in 2013.  The hole was extended about 50 yards when the club did a land swap with Renaissance club.  The stone wall behind the tee now has an odd kink in it to allow the tee to move back.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
I like 9 at Muirfield for this because the OOB is in play on the approach, rather than the drive, and because the green is close enough to the OOB to be a genuine threat if going for the green in 2 into the prevailing wind.  Equally, the best lay up is pretty close to the OOB, too.  Loads of room to lay up right but leaves an awkward angle for the approach.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 12:48:13 PM »
I like 9 at Muirfield for this because the OOB is in play on the approach, rather than the drive, and because the green is close enough to the OOB to be a genuine threat if going for the green in 2 into the prevailing wind.  Equally, the best lay up is pretty close to the OOB, too.  Loads of room to lay up right but leaves an awkward angle for the approach.

+1

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
The 6th hole was awesome to watch this week. Watching guys hit a cut that starts OVER the OB was thrilling.

Is OB the most underrated hazard in golf?
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
None of the above.

17 at TOC still wins by a mile, even if they insist on calling it a par 4  ;)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
Rich,

A few costly Sunday Open OB's.

Thomson 1959 Muirfield 9th
Nicklaus 1968 Carnoustie 6th
Langer 1993 Royal St George's 14th.

Michael Felton

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
14 at RSG for me. It's right there on the tee shot and the closer you get to it, the easier your next shot is. Then, if it's into the wind and getting up isn't an option, it's right there on the lay up. If you play safe, then you have a virtually impossible approach with the OOB right behind the green. If you go for it in two, it's just to the right of the green and if you pull it, you have to chip it over the bunkers onto a green that runs away from you with, you guessed it, OOB just over the other side. It is omnipresent and messes with you on every shot.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »
None of the above.

17 at TOC still wins by a mile, even if they insist on calling it a par 4  ;)
+1

David Davis

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm not entirely sure I really like holes with OB on them at all. Something to do with rotation of the planet and the magnetic pull it creates on my tee shots...

However, in order to answer the question properly you need to have played the holes enough to know how the prevaling wind affects each one of them and I can't say that myself.

So this is more of a guess.

* 14 at The Old Course - #1 favorite from a visual perspective standing on the tee box. # 2 overall.

Seems like this has been downwind if I'm not mistaken on every play, it's a nerve racking drive for me as someone who misses right in most cases but with the condition I've played the course in each time it was more a visual deterent. Into a hard left to right wind this would be a mild nightmare.

* 6 at Carnoustie - #1 most difficult from a driving perspective, fairway feels so narrow.

Only played once and in windless conditions. I would miss right 5/10 times with driver here. #4 favorite here.

* 16 at Hoylake - Least favorite of the group but nevertheless an excellent hole.

My one play yielded a 15 ft putt for eagle. Later I was informed that the practice area was OB that I played through ha ha..

* 9 at Muirfield - Drive was not scary on this hole in my one play way back when. It played into the wind if I remember correctly. Second shot was more difficult  but played a mid iron and then a short iron in for a 4 :-) Easy to remember those but would have it 3rd on this list.

Again another great hole but depends on the prevailing wind which I'm not aware of.

* 14 at St. George's

This one is also the toughest in my mind. I've played it a few times and the wind has always been hard left to right towards the OB. As much as I don't love OB this would be my favorite of the bunch. 2nd shot is also demanding as the burn comes into play requiring two very well controlled long club while dealing with the cross wind.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:35:04 AM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
I love 18 at Carnoustie. In fact, I wish that they would bring the stakes in to the fringe. I can't abide having thick greenside rough when you might have oob.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

MCirba

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
What a great question.   Usually OB is something folks HATE yet there is clearly some regard for it with Par 5's.   I'm not sure why that is, but I like it.
I'm partial to 9 at Muirfield, especially with the minefield of bunkers awaiting the cautious play to the right.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back